Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,117 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to East Tawas in August with my boy friend who will be stationed at the coast guard base there. We are looking for a condo to buy or rent relativity close to the area, however, every where I have looked seems to be hours away from East Tawas. Can anyone recommend a good city/town that would be close enough to commute to East Tawas that would have condos. Also, I am in marketing/public relations and administrative field, however, I am not having much luck locating any jobs in the area, they are all over an hour and a half away. Does anyone know of any companies that are currently hiring?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,687,817 times
Tawas is pretty much in the middle of nowhere! It is a very nice town, and popular local tourist spot. Unfortunately, you really will not find a job less than 90 minutes or more away. You have to go down to the tri-cities (BayCity, Midland and Saginaw). Alpena is a bit larger than Tawas City/East Tawas. However, it is still about an hour an a half north. These are all very small towns. No shopping malls or anything. Even the nearest Applebee's is about an hour away!
I am not sure what the housing situation is in the area. My aunt lives in Glennie, which is about 25 minutes away. That is nothing more than a gas station and a IGA store! If you are not getting anywhere in the Tawas area, try Au Gres to the south (it'd take 20 minutes off a commute to the tri-cities) or Oscoda/Au Sable to the north. Out of all the tiny blips on the map, they are the largest! I hope I've helped in anyway!
But honestly, that area has nothing but family owned cottages and little shops! It used to be a major part of the lumber industry, but not as much anymore. Here are a few things to do and see: Lumberman's Monument (my great-grandpa helped build it), Iargo Springs, the marina & beach in Tawas, canoeing on the AuSable River and all the great lighthouses in the area. The area is beautiful, but very small!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 AM

12 posts, read 39,864 times
erikad584,
Here are a couple of links that I have found in the last couple of weeks. Tawas is one of the areas we are looking at also. I think you will be able to find housing no problem. Follow the links on the left side of the page, lots of info....

Tawas City, Michigan 48764 - InfoMI.com
Everything is for Sale, East Tawas, Tawas, Oscoda,Lake Huron, Michigan Real Estate

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM

^I clicked on the link and had to smile
My family has tons of pictures of me up in that castle. On the back side there are "windows" that you can stick your head out of. As I said, the area is beautiful! But, not exactly a bustling place.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,117 times
Default Tawas location??

I was wondering what the location of Tawas City/East Tawas is? Is it considered saginaw-midland-baycity? detroit metro? northern michigan? or anything else? When looking for jobs and apartments they break it down to areas and these are some of my options. Can anyone help me here?

Thank you much!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,176,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikad584 View Post
I was wondering what the location of Tawas City/East Tawas is? Is it considered saginaw-midland-baycity? detroit metro? northern michigan? or anything else? When looking for jobs and apartments they break it down to areas and these are some of my options. Can anyone help me here?

Thank you much!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Tawas,_Michigan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawas_City

I have never been there, but the Tawas area seems to be an island unto itself! If anything, it's closest the Saginaw-Bay City area, but isn't really close to that either.

Maps are readily available online. Simply go to Google Maps and type in your query!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 195,784 times
I was born in Lansing,but am looking to relocate back to the only place on Earth that has ever felt like "home" to me from Colorado.Lansing,Eaton Rapids,or Charlotte area hopefully....how's the job market looking in these areas for welding and metal working??Does anybody know???My husband is hoping that with all the research about MI I've done as well as being frequent visitors to friends and family that we can have a better life than here in CO...Colorado has become a tourist trap filled with crime,drugs,and eexpensive ways of life we can no longer afford...would like to raise our daughters in a more "small town" environment...HELP!!!...LOL

Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbornandproud View Post
I was born in Lansing,but am looking to relocate back to the only place on Earth that has ever felt like "home" to me from Colorado.Lansing,Eaton Rapids,or Charlotte area hopefully....how's the job market looking in these areas for welding and metal working??Does anybody know???My husband is hoping that with all the research about MI I've done as well as being frequent visitors to friends and family that we can have a better life than here in CO...Colorado has become a tourist trap filled with crime,drugs,and eexpensive ways of life we can no longer afford...would like to raise our daughters in a more "small town" environment...HELP!!!...LOL
I can't say for sure, as I live in the thumb, but I would assume it would be tough for him to get a job in that field. There are an overabundance of former auto workers in this state, so I highly doubt there would be any welding jobs in that area. Jobs of all kinds (with the medical field being the exception) are hard to find in Michigan. That's why everyone's leaving
I have to leave if I ever want a job using my bachelor's degree. Currently, I am working customer service at a grocery store for $10.00 an hour. Yet, I am $30,000 in student loan debt.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,176,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbornandproud View Post
I would say search online. I love it here but jobs are indeed scarce in certain fields in Michigan right now!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 16,472 times
I lived in Tawas until I was 12, then in Alpena until I was 18 (my family is still there). Both are beautiful areas. I'm 25 and in Mount Pleasant now (exact middle of the hand). I'm sorry, but both Alpena and Tawas are very, very lacking in jobs. This is not an area to settle down in for the rest of your life, if you want to progress much in a career. It's not impossible, but it's extremely dicey to succeed. My mother is an accountant and can't get a job. My former boyfriend had a master's degree and couldn't get a job. A lot of this is reflective of Michigan as a whole, but these smaller towns are experiencing the economic problems the worst. If you're going to move anywhere in the state--and I say this sadly, because I love Michigan and I love my hometowns--you need to move around Lansing, the nicer Detroit suburbs, or Traverse City area. The farther you are from these places, the less likely you are to find jobs and opportunity. Alpena and Tawas are both pretty and fun to visit (Alpena is bigger and has slightly more going on), but they are in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan