Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
These magazine rankings are always made up mumbo jumbo, but can you give us a synopsis?

Basically, Michigan isn't even on the BusinessWeek radar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,879 times
How is this not a comeback! this is awesome! there is no other state in the country like michigan, and with all of the manufacturing the air is still clean, unlike neighboring ohio and indiana. fresh water, fresh water, fresh water, tourism, tourism, tourism, detroit, lansing, ann arbor, grand rapids, kalamazoo, saginaw bay city midland, benton harbor holland, flint, what other state has such a great group of cities? None in my oppinion, and i knew michigan would come back, its just too great of a state, and the nation seems too use michigan to its advantage and than throw it in the recycling bin. but anyways.... GO MICHIGAN!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Here is some more good news.
Gov. Granholm announces 2,912 new or retained jobs | MLive.com

Also in my neck of the woods, there are a ton of new businesses opening up and a ton of interested businesses wanting to potentially open. Where I grew up about 8 miles east of me, where I worked for 13 years before the company closed down, there is a huge custom corvette operation moving into the now empty buildings.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Nope, it's simple math. The lower you fall the greater growth rate with respect to base level if compared to more "stable" states.

Let's say state Indiana had its economic "output" slashed to 50 (imaginary) "units" while state of Michigan's output has shrunk to 40 "units". If both states experience 10 units rebound, it's 10/50=20% growth for Indiana, and 10/40=25% growth for Michigan. Hooray for Michigan economic miracle

Corollary: the best strategy to achieve mind boggling rates of economic growth is to trample "old economy" into the dust

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Nope, it's simple math. The lower you fall the greater growth rate with respect to base level if compared to more "stable" states.

Let's say state Indiana had its economic "output" slashed to 50 (imaginary) "units" while state of Michigan's output has shrunk to 40 "units". If both states experience 10 units rebound, it's 10/50=20% growth for Indiana, and 10/40=25% growth for Michigan. Hooray for Michigan economic miracle

Corollary: the best strategy to achieve mind boggling rates of economic growth is to trample "old economy" into the dust
RememberMee is correct

Look at per capita GDP

Just over 10 years ago, Michigan was mid teens. In 2004 it was still #22. Now it's #37. Michigan is making a break in the race to be the Mississippi of the North.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...apita_(nominal)

So if it "rebounds" 5% we can be back to where we were in 2007. Yippee. It's a 1 state depression.

Oakland County used to be the 2nd richest county in the country (within the past decade). [Much of it due to blue collar making much more than blue collar in other states] Now the 3 richest counties ring Washington D.C. - which also just so happens to have the best per capita GDP. Government by the people, of the people - expanding like everyone's waistline. It is a sad state that the economic center of the country has moved from industrial midwest or New York to D.C.

As for the movie industry it is the same ploy for every industry. The states are killing each other, under cutting one another, much like countries now do to each other. The states are giving away money they don't have to bring jobs. Then if they they rescind the tax give aways, the jobs will go to the next place. Movies are much easier to pick up on a dime and go to another state than say a mfg plant. So for all you pinning hopes on "movie production" - you are paying for it via sales tax, real estate tax, new service taxes - nothing is free. Someday another state will undercut Michigan and then those go away. Companies have all the power - they are pitting one desperate state versus another in every industry, as the country has structural problems (offshoring millions of jobs the past 2 decades) and hence more people are chasing less positions.

If you are unfamiliar with Foxconn go wikipedia it. Go look at how many people they employ (hint, it is almost 1 million employees in 1 Asian company) - 2 decades ago that was (almost all) U.S. workers that would do that work. But hey you get 13% lower prices at Walmart, yahoo.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
RememberMee is correct

Look at per capita GDP

Just over 10 years ago, Michigan was mid teens. In 2004 it was still #22. Now it's #37. Michigan is making a break in the race to be the Mississippi of the North.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...apita_(nominal)

So if it "rebounds" 5% we can be back to where we were in 2007. Yippee. It's a 1 state depression.

Oakland County used to be the 2nd richest county in the country (within the past decade). [Much of it due to blue collar making much more than blue collar in other states] Now the 3 richest counties ring Washington D.C. - which also just so happens to have the best per capita GDP. Government by the people, of the people - expanding like everyone's waistline. It is a sad state that the economic center of the country has moved from industrial midwest or New York to D.C.

As for the movie industry it is the same ploy for every industry. The states are killing each other, under cutting one another, much like countries now do to each other. The states are giving away money they don't have to bring jobs. Then if they they rescind the tax give aways, the jobs will go to the next place. Movies are much easier to pick up on a dime and go to another state than say a mfg plant. So for all you pinning hopes on "movie production" - you are paying for it via sales tax, real estate tax, new service taxes - nothing is free. Someday another state will undercut Michigan and then those go away. Companies have all the power - they are pitting one desperate state versus another in every industry, as the country has structural problems (offshoring millions of jobs the past 2 decades) and hence more people are chasing less positions.

If you are unfamiliar with Foxconn go wikipedia it. Go look at how many people they employ (hint, it is almost 1 million employees in 1 Asian company) - 2 decades ago that was (almost all) U.S. workers that would do that work. But hey you get 13% lower prices at Walmart, yahoo.

Well it's always good to agree with yourself, thisguy.

Although it might be fun to watch you debate yourself on here. Regardless of how you stretch definitions to fit your argument, since Michigan is one of only 5 states with any GDP growth over the last 3 months, I'll take it.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:

I don't think you really "get it". The question you have to ask yourself is WHY Michigan declined so much, vis a vis to other states. A large part of that was due to the percent of our economy that was tied to manufacturing, as well as (and related), high union wages (and unions themselves....of which I am a fan of to a degree). Those "traits" that made Michigan a less competitive location for business has lessened tremendously. Furthermore, the trend in the auto industry in quality, styling and satisfaction is towards the big three. Americans are starting to realize that how we shop and what we buy impacts opportunity in America. More people want to “buy American” in these times and the improvement in quality of the big three is helping them do that.

Michigan has “hit bottom” and in the process shed itself of a lot of disadvantages. It still has disadvantages and it will NEVER be able to compete with people who don’t like winters. However, Michigan is a beautiful state with plenty of fresh water. I would recommend people do a little research on Fresh Water on how important that will be in the coming years. If you don’t understand the importance of Fresh water in the future……you will not understand why Michigan will become a top 10 state to be in within the next 10 years.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM

I think you and most people don't really get it. We were born into society where tiny % of people holds claim on the bulk of resources and production capacity, the rest sells their arses to owners of means in order to survive. They (owning class) and only they decide whether 90% of population (and you) would eat tonight. In a way 90% of population gave their lives in the hands of top 10% (while chanting how free they (90%) are and waving flag each time top 10% decides to bomb another 3rd world country into the dust).

Nobody even thinks how absurd it is for a Michigander to have (or not to have) a meal on his table (or table for that matter) depending on the price of labor in China. It's totally insane, irrational situation. 90% placed their right to exist into the hands of top 10%, top 10% have no other obligations other than maximizing their own gains, The End. It's not even slavery. Slave owners cared for their slaves (most of the time). It's some kind of post modern slavery arrangement.

You all keep dreams of luring bottom feeding corporations back to MI alive. It's long race to the bottom considering going wages (and 200 millions of jobless) in China. Alas, I really doubt American wage units have brains and guts to force owning classes into more rational arrangements. Not in my life time, or ever. Rush doesn't make $50mils/year for doing nothing

Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
I think you and most people don't really get it. We were born into society where tiny % of people holds claim on the bulk of resources and production capacity, the rest sells their arses to owners of means in order to survive. They (owning class) and only they decide whether 90% of population (and you) would eat tonight. In a way 90% of population gave their lives in the hands of top 10% (while chanting how free they (90%) are and waving flag each time top 10% decides to bomb another 3rd world country into the dust).

Nobody even thinks how absurd it is for a Michigander to have (or not to have) a meal on his table (or table for that matter) depending on the price of labor in China. It's totally insane, irrational situation. 90% placed their right to exist into the hands of top 10%, top 10% have no other obligations other than maximizing their own gains, The End. It's not even slavery. Slave owners cared for their slaves (most of the time). It's some kind of post modern slavery arrangement.

You all keep dreams of luring bottom feeding corporations back to MI alive. It's long race to the bottom considering going wages (and 200 millions of jobless) in China. Alas, I really doubt American wage units have brains and guts to force owning classes into more rational arrangements. Not in my life time, or ever. Rush doesn't make $50mils/year for doing nothing
Well... thanks for opening my eyes. All of this time I've been happy and content with life. Apparently I should be angry and bitter that I'm being screwed by "the man".

Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Well... thanks for opening my eyes. All of this time I've been happy and content with life. Apparently I should be angry and bitter that I'm being screwed by "the man".

A content wage slave remain to be a slave on the mercy of the man and his returns on investment. If American (Michigan in particular) wage slaves are concerned with an issue of going back to olden, golden, content, post WWII wage slaving days (by means of lowering taxes, \ environmental regulations, union busting etc.) there is a really bad news for you all - owning class found much more profitable supply of disposable wage units, so you going more slavish, pliable and obedient every year would not get you extra crumbles from master's table.

As I said, until wage slaving class would have guts to attack the root of the evil (a.k.a. top 10% of master class owning lions share of resources & production capacity while having no other obligations other than to their bottom line). 90% giving their subsistence/existence into the hands of 10% who, by the miracle of "free market", owe nothing to 90%, what could be more irrational and absurd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan