Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as Michigan's next governor?
Bernero 7 16.67%
Snyder 33 78.57%
Other 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What if the income tax is slightly raised in a progressive manner?
I almost want to say "yeah, sure, why not," but it's a slippery slope. Some states' progressiveness really socks it to people who are actually rich (like RI), but in some states, the top tax bracket tops out fairly low (like AR). I'm just afraid that they'll go Robin Hood on us.

The Tax Foundation - State Individual Income Tax Rates, 2000-2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. After quickly browsing that table, it looks like Michigan is on the lower end of income taxes, at least for the upper classes.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
So far it looks like Snyder in a landslide. Dont take small..fun polls like this lightly either. it usually shows a pretty accurate trend.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
So far it looks like Snyder in a landslide. Dont take small..fun polls like this lightly either. it usually shows a pretty accurate trend.
It's going to be an interesting race. If Bernero and Snyder face off in a televised debate, Snyder might look like a deer in the headlights against fast-talking Bernero (kinda like Dick Devos looked like complete stiffness/silliness in the debates in the last election). We shall see.

If I were Snyder's people, I wouldn't agree to any debates, period.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
I just voted for Snyder in the poll, though I can't say I feel real strongly about it. I do think that Bernero has his work cut out for him.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
It's going to be an interesting race. If Bernero and Snyder face off in a televised debate, Snyder might look like a deer in the headlights against fast-talking Bernero (kinda like Dick Devos looked like complete stiffness/silliness in the debates in the last election). We shall see.

If I were Snyder's people, I wouldn't agree to any debates, period.
yes, but then again, fast talking Bernaro may look like a fast talking car saleman. If Snyder plays it cool, hell be fine. If he sticks to what he has been doing, people will relate to him as a real person and not just a politician. Bernaro is gonna have a hard time keeping himself from looking like someone the people are fed up with.
But again...for some reason I do like him second best.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I almost want to say "yeah, sure, why not," but it's a slippery slope. Some states' progressiveness really socks it to people who are actually rich (like RI), but in some states, the top tax bracket tops out fairly low (like AR). I'm just afraid that they'll go Robin Hood on us.

The Tax Foundation - State Individual Income Tax Rates, 2000-2010
I found out that we're not bad income tax-wise recently. They soak us on property taxes and those few municipalities with a city income tax get some people as well. At least we're not Ohio on this one. Higher state tax, nearly every municipality has a local tax, and municipalities can raise the sales tax, but property taxes are lower.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I can't stand Republicans, but I like Rick Snyder. Snyder brings a lot of fresh ideas to the table, and he's a moderate, not a conservative, which is good. I really like Bernero as well, I think he has a lot of good ideas to help improve the economy and education.

I'm no longer a Michigan resident, so, I can't vote in this election. Also, I normally don't vote at all - I hate the political system. However, I still really care about Michigan, it's still my home, and I wish I could cast my vote this year. In a normal economy, I'd probably support Bernero, but I think Snyder is probably best for right now - we need jobs in Michigan. Also, I am SICK of politicians in general. Still, either Bernero or Snyder would be great for the state.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Whoa, Bernero aligning himself with UAW President Bob King to stage the "comeback" of organized labor?? He's a sitting duck now.

UAW president finds perfect candidate in Virg Bernero | MLive.com

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Both are a great choice for Michigan. The only thing I fear, is that the Mich-GOP will stick it's nose in and try to change Snyder's message to something other then what really matters for the state and it's residents. (that's JOBS, plain and simple, not god, gays or immigration)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan