Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as Michigan's next governor?
Bernero 7 16.67%
Snyder 33 78.57%
Other 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
yes, but then again, fast talking Bernaro may look like a fast talking car saleman. If Snyder plays it cool, hell be fine. If he sticks to what he has been doing, people will relate to him as a real person and not just a politician. Bernaro is gonna have a hard time keeping himself from looking like someone the people are fed up with.
But again...for some reason I do like him second best.
To me, Bernero's "tough guy" persona makes him look like someone with the "little man" syndrome. Napoleonic, to say the least. He needs to close his flapping mouth and listen. Not likely, imo. Go Snyder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Whoa, Bernero aligning himself with UAW President Bob King to stage the "comeback" of organized labor?? He's a sitting duck now.

UAW president finds perfect candidate in Virg Bernero | MLive.com
That's all I need to see. I wouldn't touch Bernero with a 10-foot pole!

In order to truly turn things around, we need to become more attractive than most states as a place to do business. Right now we are near the bottom of that list. Electing someone like Bernero will, at the very best, improve our business climate slightly and put us in the middle of the pack. That's not good enough. IMO, the only way to have a major turnaround is to make some drastic changes and become a very attractive place to do business relative to other states. Snyder gives us some hope of making that happen. Bernero does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I can't stand Republicans, but I like Rick Snyder. Snyder brings a lot of fresh ideas to the table, and he's a moderate, not a conservative, which is good. I really like Bernero as well, I think he has a lot of good ideas to help improve the economy and education.
Snyder is a conservative. Just not a social conservative. A lot of people think "conservative" only means pro-life, pro-military, anti-gay marriage, anti-stem cell research, anti-illegal immigration, etc. You (and millions of others) are thinking of a social conservative. Snyder is conservative on issues that are actually important in Michigan's current situation; he's for smaller government, friendly business taxes, and less wasteful spending. He's a fiscal conservative.

Unfortunately in the U.S., our two party system leaves us with two extremes. We can usually vote for someone who's liberal on everything or conservative on everything, with nothing in between. A lot of people who think that they don't like "conservatives" don't even understand what conservatism is beyond the social issues. For example, George W. Bush was a social conservative, but he and his congress spent money like it was his job. He was not a fiscal conservative. He was like a combination of all the worst attributes from both parties... socially conservative and fiscally liberal. But people think George Bush = conservative. Not entirely true.

IMO, it doesn't really matter what our governor thinks about social issues. A state governor isn't going to have much impact on those things anyway.

Last edited by michigan83; 08-17-2010 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

In order to truly turn things around, we need to become more attractive than most states as a place to do business. Right now we are near the bottom of that list. Electing someone like Bernero will, at the very best, improve our business climate slightly and put us in the middle of the pack. That's not good enough. IMO, the only way to have a major turnaround is to make some drastic changes and become a very attractive place to do business relative to other states. Snyder gives us some hope of making that happen. Bernero does not.

Snyder is a conservative. Just not a social conservative. A lot of people think "conservative" only means pro-life, pro-military, anti-gay marriage, anti-stem cell research, anti-illegal immigration, etc. You (and millions of others) are thinking of a social conservative. Snyder is conservative on issues that are actually important in Michigan's current situation; he's for smaller government, friendly business taxes, and less wasteful spending. He's a fiscal conservative.

Unfortunately in the U.S., our two party system leaves us with two extremes. We can usually vote for someone who's liberal on everything or conservative on everything, with nothing in between. A lot of people who think that they don't like "conservatives" don't even understand what conservatism is beyond the social issues. For example, George W. Bush was a social conservative, but he and his congress spent money like it was his job. He was not a fiscal conservative. He was like a combination of all the worst attributes from both parties... socially conservative and fiscally liberal. But people think George Bush = conservative. Not entirely true.

IMO, it doesn't really matter what our governor thinks about social issues. A state governor isn't going to have much impact on those things anyway.
I can't believe Bernero wouldn't take a more centrist platform. The UAW in Michigan has dwindled to about a 1/4 of the membership it had just 10 years ago. And I would bet a lot of those autoworkers took their buyouts and left for greener pastures (other states).

So who exactly is he looking to appeal to? I know a lot of "progressive" Democrats who aren't fans of the UAW, but are fans of bringing job growth back to the State.

Does he really think there are enough voters in Michigan who blame our current economic woes on "globalization" and corporate greed (looking anti-business)? Or are most Michiganians in favor of looking "business friendly?"

Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
I can't believe Bernero wouldn't take a more centrist platform. The UAW in Michigan has dwindled to about a 1/4 of the membership it had just 10 years ago. And I would bet a lot of those autoworkers took their buyouts and left for greener pastures (other states).

So who exactly is he looking to appeal to? I know a lot of "progressive" Democrats who aren't fans of the UAW, but are fans of bringing job growth back to the State.

Does he really think there are enough voters in Michigan who blame our current economic woes on "globalization" and corporate greed (looking anti-business)? Or are most Michiganians in favor of looking "business friendly?"
Bad move on his part. If you ask me it sealed his fate. What was to be a close race, will now be a lopsided win for Rick.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. We are in a race to the bottom with the other 50 states. We at least need to reform the business tax and improve the business environment. Heavy-duty labor laws are not going to help in those regards.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:20 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
If Snyder is pro-choice, doesn't give a damn about gay marriage and doesn't align himself too strongly with the Teal Party of other radical conservatives then he'll get my vote.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If Snyder is pro-choice, doesn't give a damn about gay marriage and doesn't align himself too strongly with the Teal Party of other radical conservatives then he'll get my vote.
He's pro-life, although not pro-life enough to get the endorsement from the Michigan Right to Life group. He also believes that marriage is a "sacred bond between a man and a woman," but supports same sex civil unions.

So he's either squirrely on these issues or doesn't tow the party line.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM

He has said many times his main goal is to get Michigans economy going via small business. This is a huge priority, as it is the small business that rules most of the time. He is focused on this issue and creating jobs, and allthough important...those moral issues are just not as important as getting Michigan going again.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
He has said many times his main goal is to get Michigans economy going via small business. This is a huge priority, as it is the small business that rules most of the time. He is focused on this issue and creating jobs, and allthough important...those moral issues are just not as important as getting Michigan going again.
I tend to agree michmoldman, but I would guarantee that whoever is voted in as governor, the issue of same sex marriage in Michigan will come up during his tenure, most likely in 2012 (apparently):

Same-sex marriage advocates call for 2012 equality push « Michigan Messenger (http://michiganmessenger.com/19801/same-sex-marriage-advocates-call-for-2012-equality-push - broken link)

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I tend to agree michmoldman, but I would guarantee that whoever is voted in as governor, the issue of same sex marriage in Michigan will come up during his tenure, most likely in 2012 (apparently):

Same-sex marriage advocates call for 2012 equality push « Michigan Messenger (http://michiganmessenger.com/19801/same-sex-marriage-advocates-call-for-2012-equality-push - broken link)
I think if he could say this..he would...who cares! Its an issue he, nor anyone else has control of, and will never go away no matter what side your on. I for one could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan