Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows about these two areas- we're in the "looking around" process, but getting there for a visit will be a bit off in the future- can anyone tell me about...

1. Jobs- top priority, lol
2. Snowfall- We've dealt with 200+ in the past, so it probably wouldn't shock, lol
3. Shopping, such as grocery stores, etc.-

I would really like to hear from someone who lives around there, if anyone does- thanks guys!

Just for a little background, I will have my paralegal degree at the end of the year, my husband is working on his tech degrees- although he has worked in the health field in purchasing, and at the moment he's working for a major hospital where we are, in their instrument dept. (I'm such a doofus, that I can't recall the actual name of the dept., lol)

Last edited by mostie; 08-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM

119 posts, read 284,663 times
Actually that is a nice area in the U.P. I used to live near there.
Jobs- Not good. Just had a large employer in Niagra just across the Wis. border close down.
Snow- Not bad. For the U.P. that is. That is part of the "banana belt". If you are used to 200" you can handle it easy.
Housing is cheap.
Shopping- They have pretty much anything you need. Wal-mart super center, Shopko, Super one foods. Also a short drive to Green Bay and they have anything you need there.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks Fester ...I was afraid anyone who posted would tell me that about jobs, lol--truth is, it's nasty all over, seriously. Except where we are, it seems...which is Omaha...and heaven forgive me, I deplore it here, haha-

Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 AM

214 posts, read 705,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Thanks Fester ...I was afraid anyone who posted would tell me that about jobs, lol--truth is, it's nasty all over, seriously. Except where we are, it seems...which is Omaha...and heaven forgive me, I deplore it here, haha-

Could not agree more, (for the job being nasty.) I will be getting out of the military soon and my wife and I are trying to move to the Marquette area. If you are set on living there and look hard enough you will find a job. It's just like ever where else, just takes time. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCommander View Post
Could not agree more, (for the job being nasty.) I will be getting out of the military soon and my wife and I are trying to move to the Marquette area. If you are set on living there and look hard enough you will find a job. It's just like ever where else, just takes time. Good luck.
We are also seriously considering the Marquette area. We fell in love with it a month ago, and have been dreaming ever since. As far as jobs...yeah, its horrible most places, but if you want something bad enough...there is always a way.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 AM

"Determined to move to Marquette...trying to move to Marquette"...you know, it's the strangest thing, the hold Michigan has on people, lol! I'm originally from California, and I've been quite a few places, and N. MI and the U.P., it's like I want to be there so bad I can taste it- I know there are other places in the U.S. that are just as beautiful, but there is something about Michigan that just sucked me in, won't let me go, and nothing else will do- it's insane. The awful job situation sure isn't helping matters any, and I've been trying to "think outside the box" regarding jobs for months, now- just so we can go back to Michigan. Marquette, whew, beautiful place...everything up there is gorgeous. So...what are you two (Michmoldman and Duck) doing, trying to facilitate a move, if I might ask? Are you looking at specific types of jobs, or willing to take whatever is available? Do you have something lined up? I'm just trying to find out how others are thinking, regarding this.

Sorry guys, I'm being nosy- I just figure there are truly no "stupid questions", lol!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
"Determined to move to Marquette...trying to move to Marquette"...you know, it's the strangest thing, the hold Michigan has on people, lol! I'm originally from California, and I've been quite a few places, and N. MI and the U.P., it's like I want to be there so bad I can taste it- I know there are other places in the U.S. that are just as beautiful, but there is something about Michigan that just sucked me in, won't let me go, and nothing else will do- it's insane. The awful job situation sure isn't helping matters any, and I've been trying to "think outside the box" regarding jobs for months, now- just so we can go back to Michigan. Marquette, whew, beautiful place...everything up there is gorgeous. So...what are you two (Michmoldman and Duck) doing, trying to facilitate a move, if I might ask? Are you looking at specific types of jobs, or willing to take whatever is available? Do you have something lined up? I'm just trying to find out how others are thinking, regarding this.

Sorry guys, I'm being nosy- I just figure there are truly no "stupid questions", lol!

My wife is in the medical field, and not trying to build her up because she is my wife, but she is talented and smart enough to do any job she applies for, so it is not a concern at all for us about her job situation. I work from home and could move my business anywhere...so that is no concern also. If we were in a situation where we would be worried about finding something it may be different, but would not stop us. The only thing that may keep us from the Marquette area (for now) is the home prices. They seem to be quite high for a house that is nothing special, and I need specific things about a house for my business, and also I need bigger towns and cities nearby to sell my products. I also sell online, but love to do shows in bigger towns around my area. If Marquette does not work out, we love the whole area of northwest lower MI. and the home prices are MUCH more easier to afford for a LOT more house in most cases. Right now I would say our next move will be the TC area, but you are correct about the U.P. Once you go there, if you are the type of person who could make it there, it will connect itself with your soul and call you back everyday, from the moment you leave. Its as if the U.P is alive, and picks and choses who she wants to stay or go. Its strange, but the people who love the U.P. know exactly what I mean.
I know people will right off the bat tell you the economy and job situation sucks across much of the U.P., but I have always believed...and will always believe, if you want something bad enough, and are willing to do anything in your power to get it, any situation can be overcome. You have to have an attitude of thinking nothing will stop you from getting what will make you truly happy. Wherever you go, go out of your way to get to know people, talk to everyone and be as polite as you can be....good things will happen, thats just how it is. These days its who you know that may get you a job more then what you know. If you can even get a part time job...go in with an attitude that you will move up the ladder...(as small as that ladder may be), and nothing will stop you. Are you handy at making things? Any kinds of crafts that people would buy? Make them up and take them to Farmers markets...craft shows...anything! I make an extra $400-$500 (I could make more if I tried) a month taking items to shows.
If you want it bad enough...do what it takes and dont listen to ANY negative comments! GO FOR IT!

Last edited by michmoldman; 08-16-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 AM

301 posts, read 823,100 times
Michmoldman,

I am interested in knowing more about your findings re: real estate cost. Are you comparing Marquette to Traverse City? Suburbs? Rural areas? Or are you looking further north central in the LP & further away from Marquette or Houghton in the UP? I've read some of your other postings regarding your research & experiences & am hoping to take advantage of your hard work!!

Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
OK folks , listen up...one more time. Living in the U.P. is by choice , not a necessary thing. ( Some exceptions in the case of Corporate transfers)... The U.P. as a whole shares a delicate balance, work, jobs, population, its just not like other places in Michigan , and for that matter not really like any other place in the Country. There are jobs in Marquette. The Construction trade is hiring now. I know for fact , as several friends are working overtime and week-ends, cause their Companies can't find enough qualified people to fill openings.
The entire U.P. is much more rural than most places in the Upper Midwest. There will always be employment problem pockets. Take Barga County, the unemployment rate is 25 per cent, worst in Michigan maybe, yet , one County over Marquette , things are going strong, like there was never a recession at all. Housing has not dropped in values, thats a good thing. Who would want to live in a place where nothing ever appreciates in value anyway ? There are plenty of places like that all over the rural areas in the Mid west. I grew up in Iowa , and I would bet today ,things have not changes all that much even after all these years...its just the way things work in less populated parts of the Country. The U.P. has also the lack of farming , that adds to the problem , but it does have tourism ,and the lumber industry... that more than makes up for the lack of a typical rural economic base.
My advice to those seeking to move here for what ever reason, come check it out first. Spend a week, rent first, then after a year , make your decision if the U.P. is for you..... My Doctor came from Omaha, he complains about the money here compared to Omaha , yet , would not ever think about going back, ever. One of my builders came from California, also talks about making less living in Marquette, yet , he would also never consider living anywhere else. He loves the fishing, Hockey, hunting and the outdoor lifestyle that Marquette County provides. I have friends who work at the Hospital, they chose to live and work here, and make a very good living. I have a friend who works downtown in an office, who moved here because of family, has since buried his folks, is doing quite well and would not ever consider moving away again.... I have a friend in retail , I have a friend in food service, they both could do better elsewhere money wise, but love the lifestyle and they are not outdoor types ether other than hiking and biking. Quality of life can mean a lot also, don't discount it. The lack of crime, the lower cost of living , the good medical care and the just overly friendly folks who become your neighbors, can mean a lot.... There are also a lot of retired folks considering moving here , there are a lot who have already done so, like me, and really love the area.

The bottom line for folks who are considering Marquette, in my opioin , is to check out the outlying areas around the area, if prices are a problem. Taxes are less, home prices less , and the comute to the job will still be less than 30 min. You can have the best of both worlds and still live in paradise, or somewhere close. ( Actually Paradise is in the Eastern U.P. and I would not want to actually live there). We here in the U.P. may be a mile shy of ideal , but we are many miles ahead when it comes to overall quality of living. Come and check it out, then decide, be it Marquette, Iron Mtn. or the Copper Country, we are all part of the Western U.P., a place like no other , it will sell itself.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK folks , listen up...one more time. Living in the U.P. is by choice , not a necessary thing. ( Some exceptions in the case of Corporate transfers)... The U.P. as a whole shares a delicate balance, work, jobs, population, its just not like other places in Michigan , and for that matter not really like any other place in the Country. There are jobs in Marquette. The Construction trade is hiring now. I know for fact , as several friends are working overtime and week-ends, cause their Companies can't find enough qualified people to fill openings.
The entire U.P. is much more rural than most places in the Upper Midwest. There will always be employment problem pockets. Take Barga County, the unemployment rate is 25 per cent, worst in Michigan maybe, yet , one County over Marquette , things are going strong, like there was never a recession at all. Housing has not dropped in values, thats a good thing. Who would want to live in a place where nothing ever appreciates in value anyway ? There are plenty of places like that all over the rural areas in the Mid west. I grew up in Iowa , and I would bet today ,things have not changes all that much even after all these years...its just the way things work in less populated parts of the Country. The U.P. has also the lack of farming , that adds to the problem , but it does have tourism ,and the lumber industry... that more than makes up for the lack of a typical rural economic base.
My advice to those seeking to move here for what ever reason, come check it out first. Spend a week, rent first, then after a year , make your decision if the U.P. is for you..... My Doctor came from Omaha, he complains about the money here compared to Omaha , yet , would not ever think about going back, ever. One of my builders came from California, also talks about making less living in Marquette, yet , he would also never consider living anywhere else. He loves the fishing, Hockey, hunting and the outdoor lifestyle that Marquette County provides. I have friends who work at the Hospital, they chose to live and work here, and make a very good living. I have a friend who works downtown in an office, who moved here because of family, has since buried his folks, is doing quite well and would not ever consider moving away again.... I have a friend in retail , I have a friend in food service, they both could do better elsewhere money wise, but love the lifestyle and they are not outdoor types ether other than hiking and biking. Quality of life can mean a lot also, don't discount it. The lack of crime, the lower cost of living , the good medical care and the just overly friendly folks who become your neighbors, can mean a lot.... There are also a lot of retired folks considering moving here , there are a lot who have already done so, like me, and really love the area.

The bottom line for folks who are considering Marquette, in my opioin , is to check out the outlying areas around the area, if prices are a problem. Taxes are less, home prices less , and the comute to the job will still be less than 30 min. You can have the best of both worlds and still live in paradise, or somewhere close. ( Actually Paradise is in the Eastern U.P. and I would not want to actually live there). We here in the U.P. may be a mile shy of ideal , but we are many miles ahead when it comes to overall quality of living. Come and check it out, then decide, be it Marquette, Iron Mtn. or the Copper Country, we are all part of the Western U.P., a place like no other , it will sell itself.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan