Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

If there is an opening somewhere, and it gets posted on a public website like city-data, you can be assured they will get slammed with applications. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 AM

419 posts, read 868,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I have been waiting for almost 24 months to hear from ANYONE (except a charter school... )

I have a SpEd endorsement (K--12) and language arts..

Still in exile...
SpEd and LA endorsements? And still no job? Sorry to hear that. I thought someone with your specialties would have no problem finding work. I guess the job market is overly saturated for all types of teachers.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 AM

419 posts, read 868,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Traverse City School District has openings i seen on their website...im not sure as to full or part.
Will check it out; thanks. I check almost daily for openings within Macomb, Wayne, and Oakland counties, but not so frequently for districts like Traverse City.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
i hope it works out for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
SpEd and LA endorsements? And still no job? Sorry to hear that. I thought someone with your specialties would have no problem finding work. I guess the job market is overly saturated for all types of teachers.
That poster also lives in NC, not Michigan, so that may be the problem. Historically, the southeastern states have not exactly been known for the high priority that they place on their public education. Nice beaches and mountains maybe, but great schools...not so much. So in light of that, maybe they don't hire as many teachers down there and just stretch the teachers that they do have thinner. Hey, no place is perfect, right?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
That poster also lives in NC, not Michigan, so that may be the problem. Historically, the southeastern states have not exactly been known for the high priority that they place on their public education. Nice beaches and mountains maybe, but great schools...not so much. So in light of that, maybe they don't hire as many teachers down there and just stretch the teachers that they do have thinner. Hey, no place is perfect, right?
Difficulty is districts do not like to hire experience simply because salary / steps are greater than new teachers. Most districts have union contracts that give minumum 5 years (no matter how much experience over 5 years an applicant has) and some state ALL experience will be recognized.
So a teacher with 15 years experience and a masters is significantly higher on the salary scale than a new teacher with a B.A.
I also graduated EMU with honors so it is unlikely a case of "southeastern intelligence"

Hmmmmmmmmm..The county I teach in is in the top 50 nationally, number 1 in the state. 75% of their classrooms are equipped with Smart Boards, internet, and all the text books are less than 2 years old.

The county has just opened 2 state of the art high schools, as well as 6 new elementary schools. Expectations are to open 2 middle schools and possibly another high school in the next 5 years.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:

I can get a position ANYWHERE in the country, except Michigan. When I was laid off in 2009, I had 4 job offers within a week--but none in Michigan..

I meant I cannot find a position in Michigan, where I lived for 45 years...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Difficulty is districts do not like to hire experience simply because salary / steps are greater than new teachers. Most districts have union contracts that give minumum 5 years (no matter how much experience over 5 years an applicant has) and some state ALL experience will be recognized.
So a teacher with 15 years experience and a masters is significantly higher on the salary scale than a new teacher with a B.A.
I also graduated EMU with honors so it is unlikely a case of "southeastern intelligence"

Hmmmmmmmmm..The county I teach in is in the top 50 nationally, number 1 in the state. 75% of their classrooms are equipped with Smart Boards, internet, and all the text books are less than 2 years old.

The county has just opened 2 state of the art high schools, as well as 6 new elementary schools. Expectations are to open 2 middle schools and possibly another high school in the next 5 years.
No one ever said anything about "southeastern intelligence", not sure where you got that idea. I know that you're from Michigan, so chances are that you were educated here too, and I never said anything whatsoever about your personal intelligence. Sorry if you misconstrued that.

I'm sure that the schools in your county are very nice. I'm glad you were able to find a job down there. I have several family members both here and in NW Ohio who are teachers, two with special ed endorsement, and they had no trouble at all finding jobs, but I guess that they got hired when things were better economically or something. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you here, but as long as you're happy in NC then it all worked out for the best and I only wish good things to come your way.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:

All that construction is a result of migration, not of quality. But the South and Southeast are both known for substandard education systems. Sorry. Do I need to bring out the dropout capitals of the U.S. map again?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM

258 posts, read 999,884 times
Quote:
Hi, everyone. I'm desperately seeking a teaching job (prefer 1st grade, but can teach K-5). I could less whether it's in a public, private, or charter school. I live in the greater Detroit area right now, but would like to move elsewhere in Michigan (somewhere less populated and cleaner for my kids). And besides, I've already applied for over a hundred teaching jobs in the Tri-County area (Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb) with no luck.

I was fortunate to get a couple of job interviews. They both went well, but I am ultimately turned down because of my limited experience teaching in a public school. I did 15 weeks of student teaching in a 1st grade public school classroom (LOVED it!!!), but the only other major experience I have is teaching enrichment classes at a private school. I created a curriculum from scratch and managed the students well (I have a glowing recommendation from the principal), but that amounts to diddly squat when there are so many unemployed teachers looking for work.

The competition is so fierce in the Detroit area; does anyone here know of a Michigan school in need of a certified elementary teacher (and they don't mind limited teaching experience)? I am ready to relocate!
I'm not sure by the wording in the ad whether they're wanting an elementary teacher who can 'also' be the Principal, or if they're want 2 people, but here's an ad from today's Alpena paper: "All Saint's School in Alpena is seeking Principal/Teacher for new school year." It does say farther along in the ad that the applicant needs to be a practicing Catholic. If it fits for you, their listed contact is Fr. Greg McCallum, 500 N. Second, Alpena 49707. They're asking for a cover letter and resume' by Aug 25. Good luck! The Alpena public schools have also been advertising for teaching staff. Maybe you could also contact them. Don't let anyone tell you different, Alpena is small and a bit provincial, but I love it here! Right on Lake Huron!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan