Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 PM

12 posts, read 62,497 times

Advertisements

I moved to Alpena in Sept 2007.I bought a house here without doing much research about the area.My mistake.A learning experience.I'm a single parent raising 2 boys so I needed good dependable daycare,a good school and a good doctor for my kids.The daycare was good for about a year but started to become undependable.I work a crazy schedule and I work every weekend so it is hard to find someone who would be dependable.They stay home now while I'm at work.No other choice.The school system seems to be running out of money.Just my opinion from my experience.My sons school is over crowded.His 1st grade class had 33 kids and I was told 8 including my son were failing.They told me the same exact thing the year before.There are more problems with the schools but I won't go in to all of it.The doctors have to many patients and not enough doctors.When I first moved here it took me 5 months to get my kids in for a new patient appointment.That's completely ridiculous!Since then every time I've tried to make an appointment it takes 2 months to get them in.I just let that doctor go and found another but seem to be having the same problems.There are a lot of empty buildings in Alpena also and way to many for sale.For example I went to the mall in Alpena to do some school shopping and I counted 10 closed up empty spaces in the mall.I predict that there will be nothing left but JC Penny before it's over in the mall.All this being said 6 months after I moved here I knew I made a terrible mistake and re listed my house.It has been on the market for 2 and a half years now.I've signed 4 different contracts with 3 different realtors,lowered the price 3 times and done work to the house.Not one single offer to this day.It went 2 years before someone even looked at it.I work with people that have similiar stories.Personally if I would have known more myself I would have never moved here.It does have tons of fishing and hunting.I'll give it that but I'm not into either.It is safer than Detroit but who isn't anymore?As soon as it sells I'll be moving to another state.Not sure exactly where yet but you can bet I'm doing my research already and have a few places in mind.I've already visited 3 of them.Anyway,I'm not being negative,just realistic and truthful about my own experience.If I had to rate Alpena from 1 to 10(ten being the best) based on my experiences and my needs I would give it a 2.I hope this helped someone out there make a better decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
You're not being positive and don't have any marketable skills. You likely have no friends either. Alpena is wonderful.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Where did you move to Alpena from?

Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 62,497 times
Luzette I moved from Ky/Tn state line area.Tried to get closer to family to help out with kids but they ended up moving away due to the economy.And scolls you just seem like a hateful,disagreeable person.I was being realistic from my own experience.I'm not saying everyone would have the same.I'm not a Realtor I agree with you but that's why I hired someone(s) to sell.They can't do it either.Do you live in Alpena or just visit or either.You sound like you think you know more than everyone else and like to be rude about it.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcten View Post
Luzette I moved from Ky/Tn state line area.Tried to get closer to family to help out with kids but they ended up moving away due to the economy.And scolls you just seem like a hateful,disagreeable person.I was being realistic from my own experience.I'm not saying everyone would have the same.I'm not a Realtor I agree with you but that's why I hired someone(s) to sell.They can't do it either.Do you live in Alpena or just visit or either.You sound like you think you know more than everyone else and like to be rude about it.

That's what everybody on this forum told me when I mentioned my dislike for Gaylord. Luckily for me I didn't buy a house in Gaylord. You'll learn on this forum everything north of Saginaw is a paradise and if you don't like it, it's your fault.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,433 times
Alpena started to die out a long time ago when the Air Force closed the base in nearby Oscoda and the jobs started to dry up . It is a very beautiful area of Michigan , nobody can question that . But that area was a heck of alot busier when the AFB was open .

Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
Alpena started to die out a long time ago when the Air Force closed the base in nearby Oscoda and the jobs started to dry up . It is a very beautiful area of Michigan , nobody can question that . But that area was a heck of alot busier when the AFB was open .

All of northeast Michigan is depressed and has been for decades. Such a contrast when you compare Traverse city to Alpena. Northwest lower Mi is building, there are jobs and obviously money in the area. Alpena, Oscoda, Mio etc are all struggling and have been forever. Most people who live there are retirees or those who went there with money. West of I-75 is alot healtier economically, but its alot more crowded.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM

125 posts, read 645,354 times
Alpena takes some time to get use to. Plus this is a really bad time for Michigan, especially in the north east Michigan. We lived in Oscoda / Mikado, went to Alpena for everything. We moved due to no jobs. We love it up there but it's not for everyone. When we win it big we are moving back up there. I went to high school up there and it was crowded then. All schools are suffering in this state so it's not just Alpena. I hope things get better for you and your family. Just remember it may not be for you. I am from Michigan and it was an adjustment for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
That's what everybody on this forum told me when I mentioned my dislike for Gaylord. Luckily for me I didn't buy a house in Gaylord. You'll learn on this forum everything north of Saginaw is a paradise and if you don't like it, it's your fault.
No, you didn't just "mention your dislike for Gaylord" you ran down Northern Michigan in it's entirety, and everyone in it. Calling everybody in an area "inbred yokels" generally isn't considered just mentioning your dislike for that area. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you take it as a personal attack and cannot see that there is more than one view on a subject other than your own. Anyone who disagrees with one of your posts is called:stupid, blind, hiding their head in the sand, foolish, etc....

Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I'm sorry about your situation, MJ.

I love that part of the state, but I've never lived there. Went up to fish/camp/hunt; and on my way to da U.P. then back home to SE MI I always found an excuse to sacrifice my time and take the Old U.S. 23 route instead of I-75.

I've always had an inkling to move there but realize that the daily grind is much different than a few days of fun up there. I see the same thing here in Phoenix. Folks come here to vacation and have some devine epiphany that they need to live in paradise.

Then they move here. And they're not happy. I can't count how many midwesterners that I've known that have gotten the heck out of Dodge. In six short years that I've been here, I might add.

Chalk it up as a learning experience, albeit an expensive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan