Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 AM

221 posts, read 364,624 times

Advertisements

Are they like Detroit, for example?

How about the surrounding counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Are they like Detroit, for example?

How about the surrounding counties?
Neither is anything like Detroit, and Lansing and EL aren't very similar to each other, either. Lansing is pretty average as far as Michigan cities go. It's not as vibrant or nice as Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids, but it's not nearly as run-down as Flint. It has a few pockets of revitalization, mostly near the capitol building and along Michigan Ave. towards the minor league baseball stadium. There are a few bad neighborhoods and a few nice ones, but the vast majority is just "average". Not overly attractive and not overly decayed.

East Lansing is a college town. Lots of restaurants, bars and stores geared towards students along Grand River Ave. The MSU campus is there, obviously, and it is beautiful. There are some very nice neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and brick homes in the northwestern part of the city, and also some "student ghetto" areas with run-down rental housing. Overall, though, it's a great town with lots of things to do, especially if you include MSU sports and all of the events on campus.

The surrounding counties are very rural, especially to the north, west, and south. Lots of farms and cornfields. There is some urban sprawl to the east, from East Lansing to Okemos and Haslett and into Williamston (these areas are very suburban). Also to the west into Delta Township, but not nearly as much as the east side. Holt is a mostly suburban area to the south. DeWitt is a great town just north of Lansing, but the area has become somewhat suburban in recent years. For the most part, you can get out into the country from downtown Lansing in about 20 minutes. The rural areas to the north are my favorite... lots of well-kept, clean farms and farmhouses north of DeWitt, and in the areas near Westphalia, Fowler, St. Johns, etc. But all of the rural areas and small towns outside of Lansing are pretty nice. Mason, Grand Ledge, Portland and Charlotte are all decent towns.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 AM

So would you say it's possible to find a, for lack of better description, "suburbanite bedroom" sort of community in the area? You know single family homes with a yard, etc.?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
So would you say it's possible to find a, for lack of better description, "suburbanite bedroom" sort of community in the area? You know single family homes with a yard, etc.?
Most definitely. If that's what you're looking for, you will want to check out Okemos, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Dimondale, Holt, and Haslett. Okemos is probably the most expensive suburb, lots of MSU professors live there. I personally like DeWitt the best. It has more of a small town feel, yet still is close enough to Lansing to be considered a suburb.

Going back to your original question, I think I was thrown off when you asked what the surrounding counties are like. I know that in other parts of the country, "the county" refers to anything outside of the city limits. Michigan isn't set up the same way. People (for the most part) refer to the names of cities, villages, or townships when they are talking about the suburban areas. Our state is one of the least-consolidated in the U.S., so every metro area in Michigan is made up of dozens of small cities that surround the center city. We do have counties, but people don't identify with counties quite as much here as they do in other places.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,786 times
Neither is anything like Detroit, and Lansing and EL aren't very similar to each other, either. Lansing is pretty average as far as Michigan cities go. It's not as vibrant or nice as Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids, but it's not nearly as run-down as Flint. It has a few pockets of revitalization, mostly near the capitol building and along Michigan Ave. towards the minor league baseball stadium. There are a few bad neighborhoods and a few nice ones, but the vast majority is just "average". Not overly attractive and not overly decayed.
[url]http://www.louishalpern.com[/url]

Last edited by jass 12; 08-25-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

222 posts, read 810,912 times
Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Are you moving to the area with a solid job offer in hand? If so, you can have your pick of many nice suburban neighborhood homes. Sellers will be fighting over you.

If not, you might find it difficult to find work in the area to be able to afford to live in those nicer areas, although it can be done.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,554 times
Just my two cents...I love East Lansing and pretty much all the surrounding area. The Michigan State campus is awesome, and around football time the whole city is electric! I worked there for many years, and fell in love with the area...its awesome!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
Are you moving to the area with a solid job offer in hand? If so, you can have your pick of many nice suburban neighborhood homes. Sellers will be fighting over you.

If not, you might find it difficult to find work in the area to be able to afford to live in those nicer areas, although it can be done.
Sounds classic. Takes two professional level incomes to own a home these days. (Well that's been true for decades.)

Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Most definitely. If that's what you're looking for, you will want to check out Okemos, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Dimondale, Holt, and Haslett. Okemos is probably the most expensive suburb, lots of MSU professors live there. I personally like DeWitt the best. It has more of a small town feel, yet still is close enough to Lansing to be considered a suburb.

Going back to your original question, I think I was thrown off when you asked what the surrounding counties are like. I know that in other parts of the country, "the county" refers to anything outside of the city limits. Michigan isn't set up the same way. People (for the most part) refer to the names of cities, villages, or townships when they are talking about the suburban areas. Our state is one of the least-consolidated in the U.S., so every metro area in Michigan is made up of dozens of small cities that surround the center city. We do have counties, but people don't identify with counties quite as much here as they do in other places.
Well, I was researching the area and trying to figure out how far the effects of Detroit are.

The counties touching on Ingham county seemed less populated, so the thought was, they'd be less urbanized.

The question was more voiced from the data I had in front of me.

Basically I wouldn't want to end up stuck in a Detroit like environment. Basically any Northeastern city represents everything I'd like to avoid, LOL!

Granted, there are many folks that uphold "urban" as some sort of chic. But that wouldn't be me. If I have to have long winters, last thing I want is urban on top of it all, LOL!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Well, I was researching the area and trying to figure out how far the effects of Detroit are.

The counties touching on Ingham county seemed less populated, so the thought was, they'd be less urbanized.

The question was more voiced from the data I had in front of me.

Basically I wouldn't want to end up stuck in a Detroit like environment. Basically any Northeastern city represents everything I'd like to avoid, LOL!

Granted, there are many folks that uphold "urban" as some sort of chic. But that wouldn't be me. If I have to have long winters, last thing I want is urban on top of it all, LOL!
I wouldn't confuse Lansing, MI with the Northeast! Most people from the "true" northeast (NY, Philly, Boston, DC, etc.) would feel like they were in a hick town if they visited Lansing.

The area really isn't very urban. If you hop on the freeway in downtown Lansing, you can be in a completely rural area in about 15 minutes, with nothing but farmland in sight. There is basically zero traffic when compared to the congestion of the northeast. Even within the city limits of Lansing, most of the housing is single-family homes.

Maybe this will help ease your fears that the Lansing area is too urban. All of this places of Google Streetview are within 10-15 miles of downtown Lansing. It is very easy to escape the "urban" parts of Lansing:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan