Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
You can throw as much taxpayer funded pimping advertising that you want but there's nothing better than a warm summer.

Tourism is WAY up this year.
Has nothing to do with the weather, and everything to due with people feeling more comfortable taking a vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
You can throw as much taxpayer funded pimping advertising that you want but there's nothing better than a warm summer.

Tourism is WAY up this year.
You're at least partly right...but the weather is something you can't control. Telling a story most Americans are ignorant of is hardly "pimping"
Lake Mich vs the Atlantic....

Lake Michigan; where low tide is just a stinking memory.
Lake Michigan: Unsalted
Lake Michigan: you can surf it, swim it, and drink it
Lake Michigan: where YOU eat the fish, not the other way around.
Lake Michigan: Salt-free paradise, Sweet water paradise

Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Then there is the way Vermont is doing it, using Cabot cheese in their ads. I wonder who is paying who ?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM

528 posts, read 885,420 times
I wonder what would happen to tourism in Michigan if some enterprising person (or group of people) did this: Best All Inclusive Family Resorts | US All Inclusive Family Vacations

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
I wonder what would happen to tourism in Michigan if some enterprising person (or group of people) did this: Best All Inclusive Family Resorts | US All Inclusive Family Vacations
Things are different in Vermont. they do not have the infrastructure or the people to worry about. ( And thats the way they like it ). The Capital City only has 4500 people, think about that.....that said , we are all tring to premote things up here in Superior , funding IS a problem. Pure Michigan IS working for us, hope it continues.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Okay, my brain is zzzzzzzzzzz. Moving is FUN!

Can you elaborate? Thinking at this point is me not staring off into space and drooling.

People? Infrastructure? There are ample wide open spaces in Michigan where something similar could be done, right? Heck, I think of Martha's Vineyard, and places like that on in the East. Meh. What do they have that Michigan doesn't have (other than people who think they're all that and a bag of chips)?

I like nice and neighborly, not pretentious and snobby..... Er... okay, perhaps I shouldn't be insulting the East Coast folks. It's just not my speed the way L.A. is not my speed....

We actually were considering NH or VT.... But Michigan is a better fit for us, and since we have family spread over the US, we can be somewhat centrally located and still in the northern climates, and still enjoy incredible scenery. But since I've never been to either state, I'm sure I'm missing the big picture.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Okay, my brain is zzzzzzzzzzz. Moving is FUN!

Can you elaborate? Thinking at this point is me not staring off into space and drooling.

People? Infrastructure? There are ample wide open spaces in Michigan where something similar could be done, right? Heck, I think of Martha's Vineyard, and places like that on in the East. Meh. What do they have that Michigan doesn't have (other than people who think they're all that and a bag of chips)?

I like nice and neighborly, not pretentious and snobby..... Er... okay, perhaps I shouldn't be insulting the East Coast folks. It's just not my speed the way L.A. is not my speed....

We actually were considering NH or VT.... But Michigan is a better fit for us, and since we have family spread over the US, we can be somewhat centrally located and still in the northern climates, and still enjoy incredible scenery. But since I've never been to either state, I'm sure I'm missing the big picture.
The question is do they have the funding to do this , with so small a population . Vermont is very Independent, They are even different than the other New England folks, quite Liberal ,honest hard working , and rural, mostly dairy farmers. Lots of Hippies moved up there , quite like Oregon in that regard.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The question is do they have the funding to do this , with so small a population . Vermont is very Independent, They are even different than the other New England folks, quite Liberal ,honest hard working , and rural, mostly dairy farmers. Lots of Hippies moved up there , quite like Oregon in that regard.
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of enterprising, collaborative effort. The Tyler Place is bat-expensive. Imagine what some enterprising souls could do if folks got some nice, lakefront property in a neglected area of northern Michigan, and agreed to run the place together. You could probably beat the Tyler Place for cost and accessibility.

Something too about many hands make light work. If you got a big enough parcel and folks who were somewhat economically independent (or had a better half that was) could each have their little piece of land, shared use of the camp facilities in the off season, and run the place together the rest of the time to get started. Once things pick up, you farm out some of the duties.

Ah, I'm so my father's child... all absent-minded (minus the professor!).

I just think something like that would put a little pep into up north tourism.....

Or not.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Never been to Michigan but the UP looks very nice.

It should be advertised on TV.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of enterprising, collaborative effort. The Tyler Place is bat-expensive. Imagine what some enterprising souls could do if folks got some nice, lakefront property in a neglected area of northern Michigan, and agreed to run the place together. You could probably beat the Tyler Place for cost and accessibility.

Something too about many hands make light work. If you got a big enough parcel and folks who were somewhat economically independent (or had a better half that was) could each have their little piece of land, shared use of the camp facilities in the off season, and run the place together the rest of the time to get started. Once things pick up, you farm out some of the duties.

Ah, I'm so my father's child... all absent-minded (minus the professor!).

I just think something like that would put a little pep into up north tourism.....

Or not.
Sort of like a Commune , it sounds., or a collective. The Co-op idea is as old as the hills, but not to say it would not be coming back...in tough times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan