Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,411 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm moving to MI in a few months and looking at property in several Downriver communities. I was wondering about Grosse Ile and if anyone knows about flooding on the island. Are there certain areas on the island that have flooding problems?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleaf59 View Post
Hello - I'm moving to MI in a few months and looking at property in several Downriver communities. I was wondering about Grosse Ile and if anyone knows about flooding on the island. Are there certain areas on the island that have flooding problems?

Thanks!

For the most part no.

There are a few houses that were built too close to canals. You can identify those houses because they have no basement and a whole bunch of pumps and drains underneath. We almost bought one like that, and it appears that that house had been re-sold two or three times in the past three years. Looks like it has problems.

Some older houses may have leakage of groundwater in their basement, but that has nothing to do with the river. Sometimes, older houses just to not have proper drainage systems. Those issues have been corrected in most of the older homes.

Keep in mind that Grosse Ile has been populated since the late 1700s. Most problem areas have been corrected long ago. Other than a few houses built in a stupid location, I am not aware of anyplace or anyone who has problems with flooding. You will need a sump pump in your basement, but that is true of anywhere in Michgian. Almost all fo the homes are well above the 100 year flood levels - they have to be to allow a basement.

If you are seriously looking at Grosse Ile, send me a DM (direct message) and I will meet you if I have time and show you around. I am not a realtor, I just love our community. We need more families. I can help you with infomration abotu a lot of downriver communities because we spent a gret deal of time investigating the area before moving and because my wife was a substitute teacher as serval different schools so between our research and her experience, we know quite a bit about the various communities and school systems.

I have posted four or five extremely lengthy posts somewhere on this system describing in great detail the benefits of Grosse Ile and/or comparing other communities. I do not know how to search for them, but you can probably figure it out, or maybe some nice person will post a link.

You are coming at an opportune time. Housing prices are way way down. Houses ont eh water that were selling for $1 million four years ago, are sometimes selling for prices in the high $400,000s. Inland houses are much cheaper. There are a huge number of houses for sale. Not all of the ones for sale are listed. Very little is selling. You will have the options of many different locations, price ranges, types of houses, types of living, etc. Keep in mind that the atmosphere varies iconsiderably from one part of the island to another.

Are you working at the chemical plant in Wyandotte? We are expecting several hundered families to move to Grosse Ile from that expansion. Wyandotte is a really nice town too, but not as quiet and the schools are not that great. Wyandotte might be my choice downriver if I did not have children. It has more problems, but it is more lively as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
You are going to be flooded with people telling you not to move here, because this is the worst state in the U.S! (definately Not my opinion)
Just letting you know. Be prepared.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
You are going to be flooded with people telling you not to move here, because this is the worst state in the U.S! (definately Not my opinion)
Just letting you know. Be prepared.

iF you have a job with a future...Michigan is great, my wife and I love it and if not for employment..

Where on Grosse Ile are you looking? At the south end? I believe that is where most of the canals are. Planning on water front? FAcing the states or Canada?

Have you also considered the bridge issue? North end has toll bridge and south end is free bridge..

Working a6t home or going off the island?

Again, nice place, kind of higher tax but I supposed it keeps those who are different out??

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 11,411 times
I'm not sure what part of the island or other Downriver communities at this point. Your responses were very helpful - thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Higher taxes pay for outstanding schools, community facilities, and public services (police and fire). taxes are a choice. Millages for these things are voted on by the taxpayers. Taxes are not significanly higher than comparable commuities (Grosse Pointe, Northville, Plymouth, Birmingham, Rochester, etc), althgouh definitely higher than most other downriver communities. There are plenty of people who are "different". Some are even wierd. However like almost all suburbs, not much racial diversity. There is some ecnomic diversity, but the population tends more towards the middle and upper middle class. Welfare recipients and retired multi-millionaires are about equal in numbers and probably make up no more than 5% of the people.

Canals area all over the island. the largest canal splits the two main islands and runs from the north east sied to the center west (near the free bridge). Grosse Ile is actually 14 islands, most of which are separated from each other by canals. Some of the small islands ont he East side are the nicest areas to live in my opinion, but pretty pricey. We live on the Michigan side (West) near the toll bridge.

You pay a lot more to face Canada because the water is wider, prettier and deeper (for sailboats). The big freighters go by on that side and are neat to watch. The East side tends to get more traffic than the West side, except down by Elba, Mesco and Hickory Islands, where things are reversed. the extreme northern end of the island tends to be the most high end, especially ont he East side. The area near the small community airport is probably the least expensive area (Macomb Street homes are pretty inexspensive too - we loved living on Macomb when we rented there. That is the main business street).

I commute to downtown Detroit every day. The bridges are not an issue. The toll bridge gets expensive (so I just don't use it). We are 2 miles from the free bridge and less than 1 mile from the toll bridge. the free bridge is located near the middle of the populated areas, so unless you are in the extreme northen end of hte island, it is not inconveinet. Either way, the distance to the same location on the freeway is about the same (15 minutes). If you are working at the Wyandotte Chemical plant that is beign expanded, then you will take the toll bridge. Factor about $600 a year into your budget if you will take the toll bridge every day.

Like everywhere, small business are failing at an alarming rate. There is still a good amount of shopping and services on Macomb street, but we go off the island more than we used to. Most of what you need on a quick basis is available. Limited dining opportunities and no big box stores (hooray).

Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,825 times
There is an unusual phenomenon with flooding that occurs very rarely. It has something to do with a rising pressure and an extremely high south wind and it literally will push the waters of Lake Erie up to the flood zone. This hasn't happened since 1983, it lasted about 3 hours. Any houses built in the flood zone had some problems. Keep in mind, this is not hurricane force winds or storms, no surging water, it is simply high winds, no rain involved that makes the water rise. It is rediculous, but you could be forced to pay for flood insurance from FEMA which will run about $2K per year with a $10K deductible and a max payout of $150K. Not that there's any chance you'd have enough damage to even meet the deductible, so be it, that's the government. This insurance is enforced by your lender. Check the survey to find out if a house is in flood plain, don't ask the seller. They might not know, especially if their house is paid off.

Last edited by lovemichigan2; 08-30-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan