Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times

Advertisements

We'll be back up there permanently in three weeks.
For rentals I know about the Mining Journal, Craigslist, the off campus housing list through NMU, the base, and Look Realty has some....... is there any other potential sources I'm missing?

The pain in the rear part is finding a rental that allows our dog and cat. We'll be taking a long weekend (5 days) this coming weekend to try and find something in the area.

Thank you for any assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Man am I jealous!!! We are on the fence about Marquette or TC area...maybe you can push us that way with keeping us posted of your journey!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM

We lived in the Marquette area from April 2006 - October 2009. We moved downstate (K-zoo area) to be closer to family and realized within a couple months what a mistake we had made! An opportunity to return to the same office we left presented itself and we've jumped on it. We will have been gone exactly 11 months. This will be our permanent move, we're looking to buy a place within a year.

The point of sharing that was just to show what kind of pull Marquette has
I have a few family members in the T.C. area as well (one owned a real estate business there for 15 yrs). I see people describe them as being similiar but they really are quite different in some very important ways. The biggest is the isolation of Marquette which can be good or bad depending on what you and your wife enjoy doing. The second is obviously the length and severity of the winters. If you live IN Marquette or near the lake... it's not so bad (but quite expensive in our book). We lived 8 miles into the hills and the difference in that 8 miles (snowfall totals, the duration of how long the snow stays on the ground, and how DEEP it gets in your yard) was shocking!
We used to drive into Marquette in early Spring just to walk around and get a break from the snow

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Don't let jeeg scare you, he would like to keep Marquette like it is. lol Thats where we have our differences on the growth thing around here. Actually he lived south of the city right in the " snow belt" ( I do too but only by 4 miles). The cut off point seems to be Division street, anything south of there will see more snow.
I do know of a home that may be for rent, next door almost. Will check it out more if you are intersted. Give me your requirements.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
There are more people renting in Marquette than Home owners, by quite a lot. The City does have many apts. townhomes, and a few homes to rent. They are building more rentals and Condos all the time , but , for a lot of folks its finding affordable housing where the dogs, cats...and kids can be comfortable. The choices are few.
We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment ( condo rental) for almost 2 years, it was new , and filled the bill while we were building our home. . Rents are running 900.00 to 1200.00 and there are always a turn over. Dogs and cats no problem.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

Yep, the pets are the biggest problem for us finding a place. Then finding one with a fairly safe yard for the kids to run around in. I wish we could of just bought our own place but this transfer is happening to suddenly. We need to rent for awhile again and pay careful consideration to where/what we buy.

We really don't want to spend more then $1000 for rent...... but our prospects are few at this point. 18 days until we move..... wherever we're moving to! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: