Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 54,515 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have ideas to prevent vandalism? My house was spray painted Saturday night; our vehicle was keyed. We are at a loss on what to do? We live in Shelby Twp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 77,878 times
If you don't have them all ready you might want to install motion activated flood lights. If this is happening at night if a light comes on right away the vandals might think twice.
Also if you have not be sure to complain to the police and get a police report of the vandalism for your records. If you continue to complain you might be able to have the police step up the patrols in your area.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Its probably someone from your neighborhood, maybe someone that goes to school with your kids...this kind of thing is not usually random...

I would let it be known you have a shot gun and plan on shooting someone's bum full of buck shot should you see them...whether you in fact have one or not...

AND let me say I would never REALLY recommend you taking such an action because its illegal...

Talk to other people in the neighborhood, people normally know how the trouble makers are...in my book the best thing you could do it to pursue it and make sure they end up getting put in jail if posible...I would be surprised if your house was the first one.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
I would get the lights that come on from motion. And start a neighborhood watch program. If someone does something on your property shoot their butts! It's YOUR property and no jury in their right mind will convict you. :-)

Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
My advice to you is to put some cameras up. We had some problems like that in our neighborhood and the police said that you can't really do anything unless there is proof. Good Luck.

Kim

Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Call the department and ask for a special watch.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM

56 posts, read 369,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I would get the lights that come on from motion. And start a neighborhood watch program. If someone does something on your property shoot their butts! It's YOUR property and no jury in their right mind will convict you. :-)
Use of deadly force is almost never legal when it comes to defending and protecting property. When used to protect life given imminent danger and a plausible threat----absolutely----property, no way. Just call your local police or sheriff or ask your attorney if you don't believe the validity of that.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:42 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
You might get away with that in some states but certainly not all...better to check out the laws governing lethal force before you take action, I would hate to read about someone being carted off to jail for something like that.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Noboody said to kill the person! I would never advocate deadly force.

What else do you suggest? Just lay down and be a victim? I can't see cameras working unless you can identify the person you see. But they are probably taking steps to disguise themselves.

Like I also said, start a community watch program and see if it helps. Report all activity to the police as well, maybe they will patrol that community more. Inform your neighbors as well of what's going on so if they see something suspicious going on at your house they can call for help.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Default Coming from another who has been dealing with "random" acts of vandalism...

Invest in a GOOD camera system and make sure the WHOLE neighborhood knows your property is being recorded. This is the *only* way to get someone to think twice - because you'll have proof they did it.

Anyone who is anyone doing something bad know the police have too much to handle. Doing special watches on your property is NOT a priority.

It has been proven time and again that you can't count on the neighbors. Watch "It Takes a Thief" if you don't believe me.

Over the past 12 months, my vehicles have been victums...
1. punctured gas tank, cut intake gas hose (dodge dakota)
2. 2 punctured tires (chevy truck)
3. tore up dash, stereo stolen (chevy truck)
4. tampered wiring, attempted hotwire (dakota)
5. busted windsheild, broken PS mirror (honda civic)
6. disabled: cut serpentine belt, stolen battery, pulled oil pan plug, wiring cut, and possibly more damage (most latest on chevy truck; headed to mechanic this week for complete evaluation)

Items 3-6 happened virtually about the same time and we were out of town. We were under the impression that the neighbors - all "upstanding citizens" - would get in touch with us if anything was out of sorts. Also knew cops were driving by somewhat regularly. Yeah, none of that meant much and we're paying for it. Luckily we keep full coverage insurance... If we had had the ability to have a camera system in place, we would have.

Save yourself the time and headache and invest now. Don't think that it won't happen again, that whomever it was got it out of their system and you'll no longer be targeted. If you don't do anything, you're an easy target. There are plenty of good and reasonably priced systems out there and you can purchase 'under survelience' signs to go along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan