Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 AM

179 posts, read 547,972 times

Advertisements

I want to surprise my hubby and take him stargazing. We live in F. Hills right now, and don't want to drive forever, but would like a nice safe spot away from the city. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to rent a telescope? If so, where and how much?

Thanks you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM

263 posts, read 745,079 times
I had some people up from Detroit last month and they could not believe the stars. Apparently, they had never been this far out from the city lights. We are up in the middle of the Thumb, we call it Van Dyke and 80 mile.
I don't know about a telescope, we usually just go out and lay on the trampoline in the back yard.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
We went out on the overlook at "Lake of The Clouds" last month at night. WOW! Do you mind driving 10 hours?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
I want to surprise my hubby and take him stargazing. We live in F. Hills right now, and don't want to drive forever, but would like a nice safe spot away from the city. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to rent a telescope? If so, where and how much?

Thanks you guys!

Southeast Michigan has alot of light pollution. You will likely have to drive at least an hour to escape it. I would say west of Howell, or north toward Lapeer at the very least to see the stars. My relatives in southeast Michigan never see the stars. The farther north and west you go in the state the easier it is to see the stars.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM

@the bread lady - is there a specific spot near you that could be considered a romantic location?

@michmoldman - 10 hours is a bit much! :-) Looking for no more than an hour really.

@daniel - ditto to my ? @the bread lady

Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
@the bread lady - is there a specific spot near you that could be considered a romantic location?

@michmoldman - 10 hours is a bit much! :-) Looking for no more than an hour really.

@daniel - ditto to my ? @the bread lady
Ok, I was just kidding, but I live 15 miles west of Flint and have great views of the stars here.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,897 times
I dont know where your at or what F. Hills is (i've been here two years this Dec.) but my husband and i couldnt believe the stars when we first moved here. Now we go out on the girls trampoline some nights and lay there and watch...that was until i seen a bat flying close.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
What about heading over to Canada? Seems like the sprawl isn't as bad over there and you'd be out in the country pretty quickly.

Also, if you have a smart phone (iPhone, Droid) be sure to download the "Google Sky" App. You then point your phone at the sky (as if you're going to take a picture) and it maps out all the constellations for you based on your approximate GPS location. It's so awesome.

YouTube - Sky Map - Astronomy App for Android

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

@sunshineann - F. Hills = Farmington Hills, a northwestern suburb of Detroit. I-275/I-696/M-5 area.

@magellan - Canada wouldn't be a bad idea, but then we'd have to pay to do it, I was looking for a super cheap escape ;-) I have a similar app on my iPhone, Planets, as I don't think Googlesky exists on iPhone. (I do have google earth tho..hmm...)

Does anyone else have a specific romantic spot? I'm wondering if it might be difficult because many parks do not allow anyone past 10pm. I was thinking of maybe spreading out a picnic blanket and having some late night champagne or some such.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM

528 posts, read 885,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
What about heading over to Canada? Seems like the sprawl isn't as bad over there and you'd be out in the country pretty quickly.

Also, if you have a smart phone (iPhone, Droid) be sure to download the "Google Sky" App. You then point your phone at the sky (as if you're going to take a picture) and it maps out all the constellations for you based on your approximate GPS location. It's so awesome.

YouTube - Sky Map - Astronomy App for Android
Get OUT!

I heart you, magellan.

That is incredible!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan