Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times

Advertisements

I live in a small village (Ortonville) and take walks frequently with my daughter who is 2. I've noticed that nearly everyone has a dog. I never thought much about it until last winter when I was pulling my daughter on her sled down the street (after a big snow storm) and a couple of dogs (unleashed) barked and cornered us in front of their house on the street. I was paralyzed by fear for my daughter and just froze. I felt if I grabbed my daughter one of the dogs would have attacked. The owner finally came out and called the dog to the yard. He apologized and I walked away.

Yesterday we were walking with a friend when the neighbor's dog (in front of the owner) ran out into the street barking and BIT MY FRIEND! The dog has never been friendly towards us and despite being warned by its owner attacked anyway. We called animal control but they have no intention of getting rid of the dog. Guess we just have to be more careful.

I wonder if other towns have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
First off if your friend was bitten they need to be seen by a doctor then call LEE FREE. that dogs owner will learn very quick they should have had control of their dog/s.

I have 3 dogs now. they are in 3 10x10 inside kennel with an outside run area of at least 10x10. We go on two walks daily, on emorning and one evening. They have been boundry trained on a check cord and harness. The one male is hard headed and will go exploreing if ALLOWED TO RUN FREE WITH HIS SISTERS. He is always on the 50 foot check cord when we walk our fields. The one female is a hunter and likes to catch animals for me. She is not allowed to go with out her muzzle on. the other female is a real sweet heart and follows me every where and obeys very well all commands so she is free to roam where every during those walks but doesn't unless I do.

When i was a young boy with a paper route I soon learned to carry a billy club. Saved me from getting bit a couple of times.

Al

Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,719 times
Bozeman, MT is the ultimate dog town - and I don't mean that in a good way. I've never seen so many dogs running around wild, especially on the hiking trails. I guess it's part of the laid back attitude though.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Anyone who lets his/her dog out without a leash is too stupid to be a responsible pet owner, end of story.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
I do occasional drug screening for our teens in drug court, juvenile probate court. So tonight on our very first call there was a friendly young german shepherd that wouldnt stop hopping up and down on us as we went into the house. I had one big dirty paw print on my white t-shirt (sports logo'd), a couple claw scratches on my right arm and when I least expected it...and shame on me....it jumped up rammed it's nose into my face so hard to lick me I could feel it's front incisors. Talk about rude.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Anyone who lets his/her dog out without a leash is too stupid to be a responsible pet owner, end of story.
kind of an epidemic.....with dogs....and kids.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I do occasional drug screening for our teens in drug court, juvenile probate court. So tonight on our very first call there was a friendly young german shepherd that wouldnt stop hopping up and down on us as we went into the house. I had one big dirty paw print on my white t-shirt (sports logo'd), a couple claw scratches on my right arm and when I least expected it...and shame on me....it jumped up rammed it's nose into my face so hard to lick me I could feel it's front incisors. Talk about rude.
haha:} i've discovered that i'm not a dog person due to a friend's german shepherd who behaved similarly. the dog also repeatedly tried to hump my 2 year old daughter. big hairy smelly licking dogs....gross.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
big hairy smelly licking dogs....gross.
As a life long dog owner I was surprised to discover that raw fed dogs do NOT have any dog odor. Kind of makes you wonder what the commercial pet food companies put in their kibble....

My dogs have always been well trained and are not allowed to run free (ever), rush and/or jump on people, and my dogs do their business in OUR yard before we go for a walk. If nature does take it's course, I clean up.

It's gotten to the point where a responsible dog owner can't take their dog out for a walk anymore without being charged or attacked.

I'd advise anyone taking a walk, with or without a dog, to carry an umbrella. It can be opened quickly to stop a dog by startling it, the point makes a decent weapon if you really need it, or the umbrella can be used as a stick. Get a golf umbrella.

I don't understand why people get dogs if they don't care enough to keep them trained and contained.

Your friend should have also called the local police or sheriff's department and filed a report. They should have gone to the ER if the bite was a puncture, and kept calling AC until they were sure a report was created or a visit paid to the dog's owner. Also, I'd do everything I could to find out what homeowner's insurance that dog owner carries and report it to the insurance company, even if it meant calling likely insurers blind until the right one was found.

Next time that dog could attack a defenseless child.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Creek Hollow said: "Your friend should have also called the local police or sheriff's department and filed a report. They should have gone to the ER if the bite was a puncture, and kept calling AC until they were sure a report was created or a visit paid to the dog's owner. Also, I'd do everything I could to find out what homeowner's insurance that dog owner carries and report it to the insurance company, even if it meant calling likely insurers blind until the right one was found.".

I absolutely agree with this. Furthernore, most cities/counties have laws that will require quarantine of a dog that has bitten (broken the skin) for a 10 day period. I also suggest that anyone who gets bitten takes the time to insist on seeing the proof of Rabies vaccination and, then, contact the Vet clinic that purportedly did the vaccination to verify. Rabies is nothing to fool with and the shots for people because of a situation where no one can verify the status of the dog are more than unpleasant.

Sometime just the 10 quarantine period, enforced, turns an owner around to better monitoring of their dogs.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM

we called the police where we were directed to animal control. my friend doesn't have insurance so we didn't go to the e.r. i know the dog is vaccinated, etc. so there was no worry of anything from that. animal control came about a half hour later, asked what happened, then went to the neighbor's where she showed him the papers for vaccination. other than that, he said not much happens. whoever gets bit has to get a court order against the people in order to have the dog taken away. my friend lives out of state and did not have time for that. we just left it. there are dogs all over this neighborhood, and i guess i'm just going to start bringing a louisville slugger with me on walks. there have been complaints in the local paper about dogs not being contained. also they only quarantine if the dog doesn't have the proper vaccinations. the neighbors still have the dog, they adore it and i doubt they'll get rid of it. but i notice the dog isn't out and about like it usually is. who knows.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: