Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,854 times

Advertisements

HI My family is going to move to Michigan next summer. Can anyone tell how Wyandotte is? I heard the gangs are bad. Is the a city nearby that is better? I need some help please. This is our first move out of state and really didn't know were to look. Thanks, sandyb4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Not a fan of 'downriver at' all here. Maybe someone else here knows the difference between the various cities in that area?

Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 15,647 times
Wyandotte is great. Not sure where you heard about "gangs" but you must be thinking of another city. There is no such problem. In fact, there is not a lot of that in the area at all. The areas near the water and close to downtown are older, so you have older homes etc. There are other areas with newer houses etc. Also, I'd check out Southgate, Riverview (in my opinion, the best city in the area). And, if your looking to spend a lot of money, then there's always Grosse Ille. There is nothing wrong with downriver. You get way more for your money than you do in the north of detroit subs. I think Taylor, Ecorse, and Lincoln Park are not the best looking cities, and I would not live in any of those. However, I think downriver gets a really bad rap.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8mycat View Post
Wyandotte is great. Not sure where you heard about "gangs" but you must be thinking of another city. There is no such problem. In fact, there is not a lot of that in the area at all. The areas near the water and close to downtown are older, so you have older homes etc. There are other areas with newer houses etc. Also, I'd check out Southgate, Riverview (in my opinion, the best city in the area). And, if your looking to spend a lot of money, then there's always Grosse Ille. There is nothing wrong with downriver. You get way more for your money than you do in the north of detroit subs. I think Taylor, Ecorse, and Lincoln Park are not the best looking cities, and I would not live in any of those. However, I think downriver gets a really bad rap.
Wyandotte and Grosse Ile are not that big when you compare them to the bulk of downriver (Ecorse, Lincoln Park, Southgate, Taylor, etc). That's why.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8mycat View Post
I have a friend that lives on Grosse Ille. Nice place. he has about 10 acres, and so close to the city !. kinda an oasis, on the south side. deer everywhere, lots of woods, quiet. That would be my pick. Only problem , a long way to the north Subs, where all his friends live !
Been many a year since I lived in Detroit ( far west side , near Dearborn), those were not the best of times..........things got better when I moved to Ypsilanti , on a lake . I like the west coast, of Michigan , better, now I am off to the UP,...thats Gods country !

Old 07-01-2007, 08:45 PM

50 posts, read 230,950 times
Default Nearby cities

Wyandotte has always been a relatively decent area. I haven't lived near there in a while, but I go back to visit quite often. I think there are young punk kids wherever you go, no exceptions there. If you want one of the safest places to live, New Boston is about 20 minutes drive down Eureka road and is living out in the country basically. Excellent schools, very safe, nice people. Parts of Taylor are ok, although I personally wouldn't live there, just a thing I have after growing up in the area. Trenton, Gibralter, maybe Riverview are other nearby cities which might be good options. I love the downriver area, even though everyone seems to knock it! Lots of nearby shopping and recreation areas.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,774 times
Of course I have to tout Dearborn, having lived there my whole life. Especially the west end of Dearborn where English is still spoken.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM

54 posts, read 198,247 times
Default Downriver

What about South Rockwood or Woodhaven? Someone in Southgate told me Woodhaven, Southgate and Taylor look the same. I have been through Taylor and I hope this isn't true because I was not impressed.

Moving from Virginia to Michigan in August 07. Commuting to Warren. Want to be between Toledo and Warren. Can anyone share some advice?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 55,742 times
I live in Wyandotte & I love it...been downriver my whole life....Lincoln Park, Taylor, River Rouge, Brownstown, Southgate.....Wyandotte is by far my favorite. Has a bit of old-school feel to it, great neighborhoods, good schools, nice downtown area, and it's on the river.

Southgate is decent, just depends on where you are - like every city, it has its not-so-swell areas. Great schools in Southgate. Taylor can look bad, again, depending on where you are. The area my parents live in is really cool, luckily. Honestly, I don't think Southgate looks like Taylor.

Woodhaven is pretty decent as well.

The thing about most of Southeast Michigan - you can pass from city to city to city without ever knowing it, they all kind of blend together.

Last edited by Molly1173; 07-20-2007 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 PM

54 posts, read 198,247 times
Thanks Molly for the info. Hopefully I will choose wisely and make the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan