Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times

Advertisements

Alanson is not Alan-son but rather A-lan-son. Walloon Lake is not Wah-loon but rather Wall-loon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
When I was growing up in Detroit, I hated seeing the signs for "Hamtramck" because I *COULD NOT* make sense out of that dang word. Can someone please get that word some more vowels?!?
Poles and slavs are allergic to vowels. They use Ys and Zs and some ths instead. Just look in the Grosse Ile phone book. I am surprised that it is not spelled Hzahmthrmmzyck

Old 10-07-2010, 03:47 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Poles and slavs are allergic to vowels. They use Ys and Zs and some ths instead. Just look in the Grosse Ile phone book. I am surprised that it is not spelled Hzahmthrmmzyck
haha...friend growing up her last name is maczka and she pronounced (we did too) MUNXKA too funny...

Tahquamenon = actually just as it is spelled ta qua me non

Ocqueoc = ock ee ock

ALWAYS pronounce mackinac as mackinaw!!!!

St. Ignace = st. ig niss

Working in a hotel in mackinaw i heard it all (the slaughters of northern names)

Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
When you live in a state with nine months of winter and three months of bad skiing, when you live live in a state where the state bird is the no-see-um, when you live in a state with the worst unemnployment...... a sense of humor is not a luxury!

Canudigit, I have never heard Saline pronounced with that infliction. My in-laes were from there and they always pronounced it SUH-leen.
LOL... touche, MiCoastieMom, touche.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not far from Clee-oh, just to the west on M-57 is Mont rose. Montrose should be pronounced as one word, it should flow together. I used to live in Sault ste Marie. That town gets butchered worse than any in the state. I dont know how many times ive heard out of staters say "salt snt marie" Out of staters really botch Mackinaw too lol.
Okay, now I always thought that was saul saint marie (I'm terrible at spelling sounds, sorry!)....

Here's another one that no matter how many times I ask, I can NOT get right:

Leelanau.... UGH! Brain, turn on please.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Ah, you all are lifesavers.... i hate sounding like such a noob.... My husband is always so offended when people want to spell his name wrong, that I hate to offend by getting places and names wrong, so I ask. Repeatedly.... Whew! A little enlightenment is a good thing.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Has anyone brought up the pronunciation of Port Huron by some people from the area?

Porch Urine.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Okay, now I always thought that was saul saint marie (I'm terrible at spelling sounds, sorry!)....

Here's another one that no matter how many times I ask, I can NOT get right:

Leelanau.... UGH! Brain, turn on please.
Having fun - its been a long time since lived there but you can't take the Michigan out of the girl

Sault Saint Marie is pronounced - Sue St Marie
Leelanau is pronounced - Lee-la-naw

Favorite mispronunciation - In Detroit Cadieux Road(pronounced in my neck of the woods as Cad-jew). Had a new-comer refer to is as Caddie-X Road

Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Porch Urine? Please tell me you're kidding. :P

Va-Cat, leave it to me to find the explanation more confusing than the word... I get the sue, but st? like saint, or like, suest marie? LOL... Poor Cat, no good deed goes unpunished.

I think seeing lee-la-naw in writing got it through my thick skull.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Porch Urine? Please tell me you're kidding. :P
Haha, no. In my old neighborhood, I had several people that moved there from Port Huron, and they all pronounced it 'Porch Urine'. I've talked to people that live there now, and most of the area natives call it Porch Urine. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan