Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 9,018 times

Advertisements

I found a job working downtown and am unsure about where I should live. I am in Macomb Township right now renting out from my parents and more than ready to leave. I am looking for an easier commute but want to live in a nice community. I will make about $2700 per month after taxes. I would like to save for a house, and luckily have no debts at this point. Should I live in a crappy, cheap apartment so I can save? I looked at an apartment here in Clinton Township today that was clean but seemed kind of ghetto. Rent was $385 a month. Would it be wise to just tough it out for a few years there so I can be a homeowner somewhere down the road? Or do you think that the market has bottomed out and is back on its way up already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Royal Oak woudl probably be more fun. Or live downtown. I would love to live downtown if I were young and single.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Here's a tip - don't just look at the suburbs! Open your options to Detroit itself. There's plenty of nice neighborhoods around downtown. Look into the Marina District, and Corktown!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 PM

266 posts, read 853,202 times
I live in Ferndale and FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!! Very close to the D, very walkable, lots of fun things for young people to do. If it weren't for the stupid winter, I'd be in heaven here. It's also extremely affordable, a bit cheaper than Royal Oak.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
$385 a month in Clinton Township? Where was this? I'm sure it was barely livable at that price.

The housing market is probably at or very near bottom, problem we'll have around here is that nobody will be able to afford (or willing, but that's another problem for another time) to pay $130K for a small colonial on the far east side of Detroit, like they did at the top of the market. Wages and salaries seem likely to stay depressed, and if that stunt that GM and the "U-Ain't-Working" just pulled against the junior workers takes off elsewhere, wages won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I like your idea about living a bit beneath your means, but don't compromise your safety doing it, and a $385 a month apartment in Clinton Township is likely iffy. Heck, some of the $600 a month apartments there are problematic. If it were just a bit better, say a few years ago, I'd say Hamtramck, but it seems to have taken a hit the last few years. The Cabbage Patch of Grosse Pointe Park (first few blocks in from Alter) has a lot of upper and lower flats, very similar housing as Hamtramck; I don't think rents are excessive as far as I know, but parking may be an issue. Some areas of the city proper could be interesting for you as well.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM

26 posts, read 56,094 times
In Detroit, I would recommend Corktown (area near Slows and the Train Station) or in a loft on Woodward.

I'd also recommend Ferndale or Royal Oak. You could easily get there by either taking 696 to the Lodge or taking Woodward straight down.

You might also consider Canton/Plymouth area. A little further of a drive, but you would be in between Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Also as far as buying a house goes, I would wait a bit to see how you like this job and if it's really where you want to stay long term. Focus on job security first.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Ferndale and the Park are really the only suggestions here I'd recommend. If you're looking at a commute into Downtown, Canton and Plymouth are way too far. Middle class (as opposed to lower middle class) neighborhoods in Royal Oak are hideously overpriced and literally at most just a couple blocks off of Woodward or Vinsetta.

Ferndale seems like a better idea over the cabbage patch though. Cheaper rent, cheaper houses. It's crime rate is higher, but (and this is not a joke, trust me) as long as you own a post-1990 car then you really don't have much to worry about (thieves in Ferndale tend to steal older cars for their parts value).

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Some great lofts on 2nd street near TJ (Traffic Jams) Blackwell I believe.. Also some really cool apts on 4th near Antionette near the new charter high school.

Woodbridge comes to mind also..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan