Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times

Advertisements

Michigan snow varies alot depending on how far you are from the lake. By the standards of most of the country however, yes we get alot of snow. Two hundred inches in Houghton is unimaginable to most people. Even Detroits 40 inches is alot by the standards of most people in other areas of the nation. This is the upper midwest and winter is long, cold and snowy. There are two kinds of people in Michigan when it comes to outlook on our hard winters. Some whine and complain about it, threaten to move every year. Other people own snowmobiles, go hunting and ice fishing, and skiing. You can either enjoy winter, or allow it to make you miserable. Most people believe we are all miserable in the winter, I think they would be shocked to see how many people actually LIKE the cold months up here. Many of us really value the change of seasons we get in this part of the country. The only part of the year I dont like that much is the first half of spring. Slushy, wet, muddy and a damp cold. Early spring is worth complaining about for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Its funny how when winter comes most people shut down and hibernate. I love winter because I get to kinda recharge from all the summers activities and heat. Its a slower pace to get to spend more time with family and work on indoor projects. I own my own business from home, so I get to work the days away and think about things I want to make for the spring rush. If you are creative, I strongly suggest you get a hobby of making things...crafts of some sort (or whatever would sell) , maybe earn some extra money by taking your things to craft shows or whatever. Its also a great way to meet people and make connections and friends. I would love to live in a part of Michigan that gets a lot of snow because there is sooo much more to do with snow on the ground. If I did live where there was lots of snow, I could find no shortage of things to do. Like Danielj72 said...we LOVE the 4 seasons here in Michigan, they are just amazing...except for the transition from winter to spring. It seems to take forever, and is a muddy mess...but the rest of the year makes it all worth the wait!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 AM

238 posts, read 742,816 times
Default Euchre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is called Euchre. If you do not know it, learn it. You cannot live in Michigan and not know Euchre.

(And then there is x-c skiing, hiking, sledding, snowmobiling, shoveling out the driveway, building snowmen, forts and having massive snowball fights, drinking mulled cider while sitting by a warm fire, petting your cat, cooking, carving, weaving, ice skating, hunting, . . . . inside or out it is not hard to stay busy, but be sure to make time for euchre. It is a great way to make friends and to begin your transition to a Michigander.
And...never trump your partner's Ace...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 AM

271 posts, read 664,824 times
I freeze most of the year here (this past summer was rare and it was nice). But I still like cutting wood, woodstove fires, plowing snow, taking my daughter sledding, white Christmas. And I like how the snow kills most bugs (or at least puts them into hibernation) and how the snow puts a damper on most noise. And how it sends a good portion of the population south so it's not so crowded everywhere.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM

261 posts, read 506,065 times
It depends on where you want to live. Life in the UP would be way different than life in a city like Ann Arbor or Detroit. In those cities there's something to do literally every night of the week.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM

217 posts, read 591,457 times
I always say that winter here in the U.P. is an excellent excuse to be lazy! Stay in p.j.;s all day, spend hours cooking some good meals, and watch the snow fly!!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM

362 posts, read 695,732 times
TIP UP TOWN is in Houghton Lake not Houghton.
Houghton has the winter carnival thru MTU. It is hard to get a room unless you researve one a couple years ahead.

You would be suprize the amount of cold loving folks out side in the winter. when our children were small we had a sledding party every Friday night with a big bon fire and marshmellows and hotdogs to roast.
Must have been a record one Friday night when there were 50 adults and close to 300 children.
then we would meet on Saturday afternoon and ride snomobiles for a couple hundred miles to a watering hole that served fish, shrimp and crab legs by the platter.

Al

Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
Lots to do outside if you really dress warmly for the occasion. My favorites have been coyote hunting, taking my grandson sliding, ice fishing (though it's been a while), I get a real kick out of driving around in my Jeep during bad snow storms.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM

52 posts, read 213,066 times
I appreciate all the responses. You have given me a ton of ideas I would never have thought of on my own!! Thanks all.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
While living in MI, I did the dart and bowling leagues during the week. The Red Wings were on most folks' TVs in the evening.

House parties are great, especially if there's a big 'ole bonfire goin' in the backyard.

And yeah, a euchre tournament is usually formed at said house parties.

I miss the Christmas lights in the snow, not to mention those full moons.

A great time to take a walk and see some critters.......especially when the Lions are getting blown out on a Sunday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan