Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:43 AM

528 posts, read 885,743 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing mini-van isn't an approved weapon, but I bagged my first (and perhaps, last) deer.

No trophy.

That is not a pretty image, I'll tell you.

We were supposed to be out of here at 10:30 tomorrow (er, today). Depends on what time Enterprise can "pick us up".

Sometimes I wish the Good Lord above would find a gentler way to get His message through my thick skull. Think of the poor deer that had to pay the ultimate price for my pea brain.....

Oh, my. Am I official? Can I be a real Michigander? Or do you natives just know how to avoid the little buggers....

That was a scary moment, thankfully modern engineering is a wonder. Didn't even set off the airbag (thank goodness... that's plenty yucky too).

LOL... the 911 operator asked if I was okay, I said "yes, considering I just killed Bambi". She laughed, with great compassion. Made me feel better.

Woke up with a flat tire this morning, and we're not a full week out from the Wal-Mart debacle (maybe we are nearly 2 weeks out, time flies)... Anyone know the patron saint of cars? I think we need to become acquainted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Its hit or miss, and a few seconds are huge wheather you are going to hit a deer or not. I have only hit 1 deer my whole 42 years in Michigan, and that was riding with my dad when a deer tried to jump the truck and we hit it square in the windshield. I have had many close calls, even one where I almost hit one with a motorcycle. If I had been going a mile and hour or so faster, I would probably be dead. I always keep my eye on the side of the roads at night and look for the eyes. And if you see one, there is almost always another...so slow down. Also, if you see a deer just standing anywhere near the road..slow down. You never know what they will do.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM

528 posts, read 885,743 times
Not sure if it was good luck or bad, but I had lowered my high beams for a car on the other side of 131. I caught that characteristic movement in a field to the right out of the corner of my eye, and I know if there's one, there's more, so I turn on my high beams, and sure enough, there's one on the other side trying to cross. My high beams come on, deer in the headlights, boom. It was almost like when I hit my high beams, it scared it, because it seemed like it was standing in the median, and the change of lights startled it, and it bolted.

Ugh.... I thought I'd learn about hunting here, thought, I'm not a vegetarian, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say I wont hunt deer just because I'm fond of them, I'll try once... But I can't. To me, it's like hunting my horse, or my dog.

Not sure why, bunnies, no problem, fish, yum. Not so keen on squirrel, just because gamy is not my idea of a taste sensation. But deer... I kinda like watching them. They relax me. I'd rather stare at them out my window than eat them.

It's an awful visual. And as close as I never wanted to get to hitting a living animal. The part that gets me is it was scared. At least with hunting... I don't think it's quite as terrifying an experience for an animal. If I have to kill one, I'd rather do it humanely. The poor thing was scared.

I know, I'm a ninny. I'm going to have to toughen up and stop being such a girl...

Hey, glad you're still alive, you know?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Oh, my. Am I official? Can I be a real Michigander? Or do you natives just know how to avoid the little buggers....
You cant avoid them. Literally. There have been special public service announcements warning motorists not to leave their lane to avoid them.

There is something most motorists dont see in the dark. The deer line up alongside the road and take numbers to see who goes first.

Best I've done is 2 in one year. The bodyshop man told me the avg bill for repairs is 1500.00.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Thankfully I haven't hit one yet. Key word is "yet" because I know that sooner or later it will be my turn to bag Bambi with the ol' Ford or Chevy. Just about everybody I know has hit at least one during their lives.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Did you throw it on top of your car and take it to the closest butcher?

If not then you still have a way to go.

Cooking it in a losw cooker seems to produce the best results. Maybe somone will post a receipe for you for next time.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
I'm guessing mini-van isn't an approved weapon, but I bagged my first (and perhaps, last) deer.

No trophy.

That is not a pretty image, I'll tell you.

We were supposed to be out of here at 10:30 tomorrow (er, today). Depends on what time Enterprise can "pick us up".

Sometimes I wish the Good Lord above would find a gentler way to get His message through my thick skull. Think of the poor deer that had to pay the ultimate price for my pea brain.....

That was a scary moment, thankfully modern engineering is a wonder. Didn't even set off the airbag (thank goodness... that's plenty yucky too).

LOL... the 911 operator asked if I was okay, I said "yes, considering I just killed Bambi". She laughed, with great compassion. Made me feel better.

Woke up with a flat tire this morning, and we're not a full week out from the Wal-Mart debacle (maybe we are nearly 2 weeks out, time flies)... Anyone know the patron saint of cars? I think we need to become acquainted.

Yea Id say that you are official if you run down your first deer. Ive lived here all my life and ive hit two. I have near misses almost one a week. (I live in a more rural part of the state) Most people I know have hit at least two, it really is part of life here. There was a thread in the general section callled "states your most likely to hit a deer in this fall" Michigan, along with the rest of the upper midwest was on the list. Its tough to miss em, they move so fast out of the woods, or fields. Lots of harvesting going on right now, that is really moving them around. I suggest next time you kill a deer, use a rifle or shotgun. That is the preffered and more enjoyable way of doing it. The more that get harvested from the woods during hunting season, the less end up smeared on M-57 or any other highway. I travel with a knife so I can field dress it on the side of the road. Road kill deer always have some un-usable meat but its usually still worth the effort. Pre tenderized compliments of Ford. lol

Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
I agree with Coldjensons .. unless Bambi headed off to the butcher, you haven't earned the Michigander title yet. If you kill it, gotta grill it... not far to Bambi if you don't.

I've taken out 2.5 deer as a teenager/young adult. The "2" were all me. The ".5" was my sister driving me, but she was only driving because I insisted on it, and she hit a HUGE buck with an '84 Cavelier. Needless to say, the buck won that round. Someone in the family hits a deer every so man years, just a matter of time when your turn comes around. Glad no one got hurt.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Up here in da U.P. what we fear most , is Moose. Those critters are huge and hitting one will do more damage than you can imagine. Thankfully not many on or near the roadways ...but you never know.
Most of the local big trucks up here have a " moose catcher" guard on the front, saves a lot of damage to grills , radiators , and windshields.
The deer problem is always with us, and , now during rutting season , they are everywhere....all over Michigan. On open roads , I use my high powered driving lights...turned a little to the right towards the ditch. Great for fog and winter white-outs also. Well worth the investment.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Up here in da U.P. what we fear most , is Moose. Those critters are huge and hitting one will do more damage than you can imagine. Thankfully not many on or near the roadways ...but you never know.
Most of the local big trucks up here have a " moose catcher" guard on the front, saves a lot of damage to grills , radiators , and windshields.
The deer problem is always with us, and , now during rutting season , they are everywhere....all over Michigan. On open roads , I use my high powered driving lights...turned a little to the right towards the ditch. Great for fog and winter white-outs also. Well worth the investment.

When I lived above the bridge I came really close to hitting a moose near trout lake. I was in a 1996 monte carlo, I dont think that would have turned out all that pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan