Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 AM

528 posts, read 881,443 times

Advertisements

So yesterday being the worst kind of chaos, I did my usual pull up by my bootstraps and trudge forward, because what else are you going to do? Paste on a brave smile, and keep marching.

But apparently Michiganders have brave smile detectors, because everyone I encountered seemed to be at their kindly, funny, and nurturing best, just when I needed it most.

I think I tend to do what I do, because I've been through hard times, so hospitality is an important concept for me. However on the west coast, it's kind of becoming a quaint, antiquated custom.

It occurred to me yesterday, I think the folks of this great State perhaps understand adversity, and the importance of community in a way some other states may not. Necessity being the mother of invention, I wonder if that isn't the reason for the wonderful work ethic and camaraderie I run across here with incredible regularity?

I've lived a lot of places. I've visited more. I hope never to visit the Chicago Amtrak station again *ever*. Nevernevernever.

I've been some places I liked, I fell in love with Washington the first time I was there.

But I don't think most people realize how special Michigan is. I am the person who is always looking out for others, I've never experienced so many people doing the same for me. After the bumpy ride, it's pretty amazing, and probably the only reason I'm not a little lump of flesh sitting in a lake of tears about now.

So how has Michigan been America's best kept secret all these years? Or should I just be quiet before everyone else decides to move here too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,860,694 times
Michigan has gotten a bad rap for a lot of years. You hear how people are so unfriendly, but honestly in all my 43 years here, 99.9% of the people I have met are extremely nice and caring. I think the further north you go, the more you will notice this because the north country just seems to ease people a bit, but here in mid-Michigan the people for the most part are awesome.
Im glad you are enjoying yourself here in Michigan! Im sure when you are all settled and begin to really see what Michigan is all about, you will really love it here.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM

362 posts, read 692,918 times
I also love Michigan. Washington is nice also but if I just had to move some place else it woulf be Minnesota or the far north reaches of Wisconsin.

Al

Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,016 times
That is just the style of the more rural Midwest. You will see folks literally give the shirt off their back in many parts of MI and OH - and I assume WI and MN are very similar. Midwesterners are genuine and hard workers .. something that you definitely take into appreciation when you're not living in that type of environment!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Westerners (at least Southern Ca) are more friendly on the surface. Everyone is willing to be your temporary friend (as long as you have something to offer them and do not really need anything). This is not universally true, but certainly is true of a plurality if not a majority.

In Michigan people seem suspicious or maybe shy at first. It is difficult to get to know people. Once you do, mant of them will do anything for you. Once you make friends, it is pretty much permanent. People do not drift in an out of your life at random and they do not move around all the time. They will make freinds with you even if you cannot increase their social standing or provide them with some other benefit. Further, people here seem to be willing to go to amazing lengths to help a friend or even a stranger. I am not sure why that is. Again this is true of a plurality or possibly a majority, but definitely not everyone. Different areas seem to be more one way or another. Some parts of Michigan seem to be filled with people who act like coaster (materialism rules, egocentric, etc).

The work ethic thing is very obvious. I am not sure the reason for tha either, but if you compare a dozen employees hired from one of the coasts with a dozen hired from the Midwest, you will begin looking for people from the Midwest to hire. Not every one will have a better work ethic, but a majority certainly will, and it is very obvious when you compare a large enough sampling. When I was in California and involved in hiring, we consciously looked for people from the Midwest because we knew that they are more likely to be willing to do what it takes to get the job done and not leave at 6 or 7 so they do not miss their favorite TV show when you are dealing with a crises.

I am not sure why people here are that way. The work ethic is not limited to Michigan, you find it with people from Ohio, Indiana, most of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Parts of Colorado, and Nebraska. Sometimes from Pennsylvania, but that seems to be less universal. The "give you the shirt off my back" thing seems to be more common in Michigan than other places for some reason, but maybe that is just due to local perception.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM

364 posts, read 874,161 times
Glad someone was able to make a bad day better for you. Michiganders are some great people for sure

Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 AM

760 posts, read 2,431,374 times
I've lived all over Michigan...... from the West to the East..... from 15 miles from the Indiana border to the top of da U.P. ....... and I've definitely found that the further north you go, the friendly and more caring people are. Of course I should add that the further away from the bigger cities, the friendlier they are too.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM

528 posts, read 881,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Westerners (at least Southern Ca) are more friendly on the surface. Everyone is willing to be your temporary friend (as long as you have something to offer them and do not really need anything). This is not universally true, but certainly is true of a plurality if not a majority.
*snip*
I am not sure why people here are that way. The work ethic is not limited to Michigan, you find it with people from Ohio, Indiana, most of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Parts of Colorado, and Nebraska. Sometimes from Pennsylvania, but that seems to be less universal. The "give you the shirt off my back" thing seems to be more common in Michigan than other places for some reason, but maybe that is just due to local perception.
Well, you sure summed up my birthplace. I was so angry all the time in SoCal. I hated it. I'm terrible at pretense. WYSWIG here, you know? There are times I wish I were better at pretense, but it is not to be.

I'm just surprised, because I've been too busy to really talk about what's going on, but 4 or 5 times now, when I am about ready to engage in full pity party mode, I get a flood of Michiganders doing some above and beyond, my word means something kind of thing which renews my faith in humanity.

It's pretty cool, and it's kept me sane the last couple of weeks.

Or at least as close to sane as I can be.

Seriously, my Grandfather's Father was an immigrant, and they both took that honor the family name, work ethic thing seriously, so I live as honorably as I know how to do, to honor that legacy. What it gets you on the west coast is taken advantage of. What it gets you in Northern Michigan (most of the time) is people who appreciate it and do the same.

I kinda feel like I've found my peeps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan