Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 PM

325 posts, read 576,530 times

Advertisements

The Allodial Title was given to my grandfather and we are adjacent to the Navajo Rez. The land was a Spanish Land Grant, converted to BLM and sold to him. As descendents, we pay no property taxes on a full section of land. If the Feds wanted to build a highway thru the property, I suppose they could, but I doubt they would want to - as they are bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM

122 posts, read 200,210 times
Please consult a lawyer before paying anything more than $10,000. The advice you're receiving from the knuckleheads on this board isn't worth what you're paying them.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
(Sigh) And I just finished reading an article on civility and social media...

Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
The Allodial Title was given to my grandfather and we are adjacent to the Navajo Rez. The land was a Spanish Land Grant, converted to BLM and sold to him. As descendents, we pay no property taxes on a full section of land. If the Feds wanted to build a highway thru the property, I suppose they could, but I doubt they would want to - as they are bankrupt.
Thanks for your explanation. I'm glad to hear that you're not one of those (often for a fee) espousing that people file certain paperwork to claim allodial title so as to be exempt from property taxes. They're often the same people who advise people that paying federal income tax is optional, too. (With potentially devastating consequenses to those who follow their advice.) Still, you're not fully exempt from governmental authority. I highly doubt that you would be exempt from eminent domain proceedings or from federal liens if you chose not to pay your federal income tax. The feds have a way of getting around just about anything. I'm still curious as to how state law would address your situation.

I apologize if my earlier post sounded accusatory--I didn't mean for that to be the case.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

32 posts, read 80,580 times
This may not be relevant, however, there was a small 5 acre piece of land next to mine, that was owned by the state. I couldn't really figure out how they got it because it wasn't attached or even near any other state property. Maybe it had reverted back to the state several years ago. I talked to the three other adjacent property owners, and none of them wanted it,. It was listed for auction by the state at one of their sales, so I bid and got it for a fair price, No one else bid on it.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTheFramer View Post
This may not be relevant, however, there was a small 5 acre piece of land next to mine, that was owned by the state. I couldn't really figure out how they got it because it wasn't attached or even near any other state property. Maybe it had reverted back to the state several years ago. I talked to the three other adjacent property owners, and none of them wanted it,. It was listed for auction by the state at one of their sales, so I bid and got it for a fair price, No one else bid on it.
Unless a County in Michigan opts to take title to tax foreclosed property, all tax foreclosed properties revert to the State of Michigan. For an isolated parcel such as you described, that is almost always the case--it was taken because the taxes weren't paid.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
I have a few questions.If the bank ownes a property and they do not pay the property taxes will it still go into auction?If it does go into auction what is the process and how long does it generally take? And what would be my chances if I was to go to the bank and offer them what is owed plus pay taxes

Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma Thompson View Post
I have a few questions.If the bank ownes a property and they do not pay the property taxes will it still go into auction?If it does go into auction what is the process and how long does it generally take? And what would be my chances if I was to go to the bank and offer them what is owed plus pay taxes
This thread is about Michigan property taxes. The tax foreclosure process--and the time it takes--varies from state to state. However, generally, if a bank doesn't pay property taxes, they are subject to tax foreclosure just like any other owner.

Most bank-owned properties have been acquired through mortgage foreclosure. Rarely will banks deal directly with individual purchasers. More often, they contract with a real estate brokerage to market their properties...so your chances of dealing directly with a bank are slim.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
Thank you for your reply

Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
My grandmother died .she had a acer and a half.i think it is that much. My mom has been paying taxes on it.mom passes and now im paying taxes on it.howeever. I have sisters and brothers and cousins. But no one else is paying taxes isthere some type of lopo. I dont know if they will sign anything over.please help.im in virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan