Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
As my wife and I approach (3 years) retirement we have started talking about 'reverse' snowbirding. We live in Georgia where the summers are long, hot and muggy. In fact, we are even thinking about moving a few hours south when we retire for milder winters.

We don't know much about Northern Michigan, other then the summer weather in Traverse City is supposed to be great, there are lots ot state and national parks, seashore (lakeshore?), and more. Here is what we need help on.

As I've looked through the online rentals, I'm getting sticker shock. We'd talked about finding a return every year kind of place, but the rents for one to two months, July, August timeframe, that I am seeing make that impossible.

How can you help? Throw out towns/cities that you think might not be hotbeds of summer activity, that would mean cheaper long term rentals, and are still close enough to the action for a couple of healthy and active seniors. Any hidden sources of inexpensive rentals would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
Anything close to the lake is gonna cost you! maybe look a bit inland to cut down on sticker shock

Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Snowflake,
Any suggestions for towns, or areas? We are really ignorant about Michigan towns, etc. Aside from a couple or three business trips 20 years ago to the greater Detroit area, we don't know much about Michigan.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
I'd avoid Traverse City, Charlevoix or any other larger towns as they will be touristy and more expensive. You can look into Manistee, Northport, Elk Rapids, Alden around the Leelanau Peninsula. Manistique area in the U.P. Overall, MI is not very expensive. I'd check out the Northern Michigan craigslist and search within your price, and see what comes up. There are a multitude of cottages for rental in northern Michigan (both Northern Lower Peninsula and the U.P.)
There's nothing quite like a Northern Michigan summer, and I think you'd love it. The U.P. is known on occasion to have horrendous swarms of black flies, though. Just something to think about.
I think with research, you'll find just what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
Also, Curtis in the U.P. and Houghton and Higgins Lakes in the L.P. There's really too much to list. It really comes down to how rustic you are willing to go. There are PLENTY of cheap rentals Up North, but you might be more secluded than you'd like. Come back with more specifics after checking out the Northern Michigan Craiglist

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanx E_Lady. I will follow you suggestions. I'm thinking we'll want to not be too remote, yet near 'enough' to the remote areas to explore them.

I've been reading UP posts in general, and I am struck by the genuine love of the UP by many, many 'natives.' Speaks well for the area. If we become temporary citizens in the future, we'll tread lightly.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Maybe try Interlochen, Elk Rapids or Lake Ann. Elk Rapids will be the busier of the three in the summer, but its in a great location where you can easily explore north and south of there....and its just an amazing area! Interlochen is south of Traverse City, it is just a small town, but still close to TC and Lake Michigan. Lake Ann is west of TC, and close to Lake Michigan and all that amazing area. Most of northern Michigan is just incredibly beautiful, and you really cant lose wherever you end up. The East side of the state is awesome too, and the U.P...well, thats in a league of its own and would be my personnel choice.
Try this site for some rentals. Traverse Area Association of REALTORS®

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I would look at Marquette or Houghton. They are both college towns, so you might be able to find a summer rental easier due to less students in the summer. It would be worth it for a summer to see if you like the town and then you can look for other, more desireable rentals to continually return to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan