Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It does not always pay to move from a smaller place to the big city to "make your mark". I live in a very small town, liveable homes can be had for 60k, very nice ones for 100k. You may only make 30k a year, but with cost of living so cheap, you can do it. If your not commuting to a super career and just accept the local job market, you save lots of time and money on fuel as well. Now if you do run off to the big city so you can be somebody important there is a cost. First you will pay triple or quadrouple for a house. Also a big career often means a big expensive education. When you do land the big job its also necessary to buy the right cloths, drive the right car and live in the right neighborhood in order to project an image of success and confidence. If you do not do these things your new career will stagnate or die. Image is everything in a world like that. When you factor in the cost of the expensive house, the cars, the commute and all the trappings of the so called sucessful life is it worth it??? Sometimes I really wonder if those people live any better than those of us who stay in podunk and never amount to anything other than a store clerk, or an employee at a small manufacturing facility. We have a relaxed life and less stress. Often you will find small town people are living in bigger houses, own more land than do those running the rat race in Chicago. Skip the expensive University degree, skip the move to some expensive city, skip the stress of ladder climbing, then go get a job and save what you can, live within your means and when its all said and done you will be no worse off for it. The only difference is that you will have enjoyed your middle years alot more than if you spent them ladder climbing in corporate America and playing the game.
That can be quite true , however , I was speeking to those who are complaining about living in rural America.... For me , it was the best thing I ever did...get out of Iowa. I had dreams , and a creative side that was being wasted on the farm. I lived all over the Country, did more in my younger years than most never do in a lifetime. Everyone is different , and yes climbing the Corporate ladder was not for me , I started my own business, and went from there, doing what I wanted, where I wanted...it was a fun ride, few regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM

351 posts, read 796,985 times
jeg~ going through Iron Mt works better only if you live in the west end of Mqt County, say west of Negaunee.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 AM

I always take 35 , right thru Escanaba and ondown, along the shore to Menomoniee. And if the timing is right , a lunch stop at Micky-Lou's is a must. Who has not had their famous burgers?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM

yup we seem to take the same way I take 41 thru Skandia and I figured you would take 35 thru Gwin as you mentioned that you live near the ski hill. Either way we both end up driving the coast to Menomniee. Never had Micky-lou's. but do not want to go too far off this thread. Again Congrats to Marquette.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
yup we seem to take the same way I take 41 thru Skandia and I figured you would take 35 thru Gwin as you mentioned that you live near the ski hill. Either way we both end up driving the coast to Menominee. Never had Micky-Lou's. but do not want to go too far off this thread. Again Congrats to Marquette.
Stopping at Mickey-Lou's in Marionette has been a long time tradition for folks going and coming from the big City. Its been there for 60 years and makes the best charcoal fired burger around...a true dinner alongside US 41.We all got to eat...some more than others lol.
Yes 35 is the only way to go south till you get to 41 , then I- 43 to I- 94. The new four lane N. of Green Bay helps a lot also.... For those traveling on south/SE past Chicago , there is a point when its still closer to go through Chicago , than across the Mack bridge. Those folks living in SW Michigan don't have the best routes via Michigan, depending on where you are and where you are going , Traveling through Wi. can be the lesser distance in many cases....and , you have the fun of tripping through the Big Windy !

Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Dar~ wait a second I think I have been there before, it's that small white building that says "eat" right along the highway, right? looks like the 50's. Been there years ago 15 or 18 years ago when my brother had car problems and we waited in there and ate while the toll truck came. Classic place will have to hit it again some time.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
Dar~ wait a second I think I have been there before, it's that small white building that says "eat" right along the highway, right? looks like the 50's. Been there years ago 15 or 18 years ago when my brother had car problems and we waited in there and ate while the toll truck came. Classic place will have to hit it again some time.
Yup , thats it. they really pack em in at lunch time. A real dinner along the highway kinda place, thats few and far inbetween these days. " Every burger starts with a full pad of butter on top" !... There are not many places to stop on the way the the Windy , thats one, Ofcoarse there are 3 Starbucks, I always hit one of them. ( strongest thing I drink , so I feel its justified lol)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 91,562 times
darstar,

I'm glad you are so pumped on Marquette, but please check your spelling and grammar. I'm really not trying to be derogatory, but it does not encourage people to move to Marquette when your opening statement is filled with misspellings and grammatical errors. I do wish they had spelling check here but as far as I know they don't. A few errors can be overlooked, but quickly people begin to wonder about your education level or sobriety. Just my two bits. Submitted with all sincerity and honesty.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarmer View Post
darstar,

I'm glad you are so pumped on Marquette, but please check your spelling and grammar. I'm really not trying to be derogatory, but it does not encourage people to move to Marquette when your opening statement is filled with misspellings and grammatical errors. I do wish they had spelling check here but as far as I know they don't. A few errors can be overlooked, but quickly people begin to wonder about your education level or sobriety. Just my two bits. Submitted with all sincerity and honesty.
Why are you now making this effort to trash my conversations on City Data ? I started this thread on 10-27. Its been mostly feed-back, easy talk. Not sure what you are talking about ? Spell check works just fine.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 91,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Why are you now making this effort to trash my conversations on City Data ? I started this thread on 10-27. Its been mostly feed-back, easy talk. Not sure what you are talking about ? Spell check works just fine.
darstar,

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to trash you. That was honestly not my intention. I was really only trying to help both you and Marquette. I really hate to mention this, but your response only makes things look worse. You state that spelling check works fine even after I questioned your spelling in your opening statement. I will freely admit that english was my worst subject in high school and college, although I did manage to score considerably above the national averages if it must be known. I won't get into the finer points of spelling or grammar as that is far from my area of expertise. However, just to satisfy your insistence that spell check works fine here I would suggest you check your spellings in your opening post, listed below, with a dictionary. Please remember this is only from the opening post and not subsequent posts and does not include grammatical errors. In regards to your question about why I have brought this up now I can only say that I have wide interests that make it impossible for me to stay on top of everything that is written on these forums. Of course, I often forget to apply one of my own personal mottos. If I think someone has made a mistake, it is probably me. Best wishes.

ofcoarse-possibly should be "of course"
controled-possibly should be "controlled'
premote-possibly should be "promote"
boudries-possibly should be "boundaries"
ether-possibly should be "either"

Last edited by MrFarmer; 12-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: More precise wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan