Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

I'll believe it when I'm shoveling it. Seen far too many forecasts of "feet of snow" only to be able to brush it off with a broom. As well as too many "light dusting" forecasts turn into a freaking blizzard that dumps feet of snow before it is done. Like the Boy Scout motto: Be prepared. That way no matter what comes it doesn't catch you off-guard and not ready. Snow blower is tuned up and ready to go, extra gas is bought and ready, shovels are out and waxed, Driveway is marked with stakes, mailboxes are protected from the plowed snow, batteries on the vehicles have been checked and replaced if even slightly week, snow tires are mounted and in good shape, wool blanket and "hell box" is loaded in each vehicle, pantry is stocked -- liquor cabinet is as well. Bring on winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'll believe it when I'm shoveling it. Seen far too many forecasts of "feet of snow" only to be able to brush it off with a broom. As well as too many "light dusting" forecasts turn into a freaking blizzard that dumps feet of snow before it is done. Like the Boy Scout motto: Be prepared. That way no matter what comes it doesn't catch you off-guard and not ready. Snow blower is tuned up and ready to go, extra gas is bought and ready, shovels are out and waxed, Driveway is marked with stakes, mailboxes are protected from the plowed snow, batteries on the vehicles have been checked and replaced if even slightly week, snow tires are mounted and in good shape, wool blanket and "hell box" is loaded in each vehicle, pantry is stocked -- liquor cabinet is as well. Bring on winter!
You guys are so lucky...Im tired of being just of the edge of all that lake effect, and storms. At least we may get some flurries out of it

Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
There was a tornado watch posted for Grand Rapids and surrounding areas earlier today (Nov 22). This has got to go down as one of the latest watches in a calendar year, right?
I think so. It's been a very bizarre Fall to say the least. What was it, 65 degrees at Halloween?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
A little dusting up here in Marquette, maybe more tomorrow. At lest the ground is covered and it looks like winter. Some really cold temps coming also.... WE get out weather right out of Canada , so , you never know when real weather is just around the bend.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think so. It's been a very bizarre Fall to say the least. What was it, 65 degrees at Halloween?
Sunday night I swatted a mosquito buzzing around in my deer hunting blind.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Sunday night I swatted a mosquito buzzing around in my deer hunting blind.
I want some snow here, dammit!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Just another warm weather event to add to other events (including record cold in CA coast ... consistent with warming predictions) that global warming, for whatever reason, is becoming pronounced. Didn't lake Superior break record high temps this year, and how does this play into forecasted lake effect snows?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Just another warm weather event to add to other events (including record cold in CA coast ... consistent with warming predictions) that global warming, for whatever reason, is becoming pronounced. Didn't lake Superior break record high temps this year, and how does this play into forecasted lake effect snows?
Yes Lake Superior did have record high water temps this summer. Many oldtimers say that will effect our increased snow fall this year in da U.P.
The weatherman is not so sure however. Seems to be 2 schools of thought on this. The longer we go without winter moisture early in the season , the less likely we will have increased snowfall. So far its not been much. Our weather comes from Canada directly up here . The added moisture we need for snow depends on the jet stream, and that will come from the Pacfic Northwest...so , we will see.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Im with Magellan! Seeing those awesome snowy scenes from out west is driving me nuts! Those pines just filled with snow...beautiful!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
How about the Lake Michigan snow machine? That effects us greatly, those on the western part of lower.

Back in the fall of '01 we had warm weather right on through Thanksgiving. That summer had a warming effect on Lake Michigan as did the fall weather. No snow had fallen until Christmas eve. There were forecasts of lake effect snow that night and suddenly it started falling. And falling. And falling.

In the Petoskey area we ended up with over 5ft of snow in 5 days. The Old-Timers were a bit freaked out because they had never seen the likes of that. I wont ever forget what the town looked like. I got my Wrangler out and had some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan