Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 89,308 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of making a decision about where I want to settle down. I've been giving this quite a bit of thought but I can't seem to narrow my choice beyond northwestern Michigan, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, or possibly the mountainous parts of western Virginia. I was born in Traverse and raised in South Boardman before I moved away as a child, and I had always dreamed of going back, but the way I remember things as a child may not be the way things would be for me as an adult, so I am trying to be logical about it. I would like to build a house on at least 5 acres of land, and I love mountains, trees (especially white pines), water, and rolling hills. I don't have any particular preferences about population centers; while I would love to have good shopping and city centers nearby I am very much a small-town girl and I could adapt to either situation well. My primary concern will be finding work where I go; I am an English instructor and currently in the process of completing my Ph.D. I work full-time at a community college and love it and I would need to find a full-time position at another school before I move (while I am qualified for and would consider work at a university, I prefer community colleges). This basically means I need to go where the state is fairly solvent and where the schools are stable.

I would love to get some perspectives on what life is like in the Traverse area, any recommendations you might have for me about moving there, places I should explore, or things I should keep in mind before I make the move. Also, if you happen to have a perspective on the schools themselves, I would really appreciate your input. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 38,240 times
There aren't mountains - but the woods, rolling hills and water are here. NMC or Baker would probably be your best bets for employment (NMC being a better bet) - there really aren't a lot of job opportunities up here (thus the reason we will be leaving), and we have a joke up here - "View of the bay for half the pay" because jobs generally don't pay well up here.

On top of that - Traverse City and the area is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Water to swim and boat, trails to hike, hills to ski . . . . so much to do if. Very comfortable summers (kind of short), BEAUTIFUL falls, 6 months of winter like weather and a pleasant spring. Traverse City has everything you need - plays, theatre, Interlochen Arts academy. . . . This is a very safe area - there really isn't anyplace around here that I won't go. Very laid back.

Hope that helps - good luck! Honestly I wish we could stay - but we have four children to support and our five college degrees between the two of us still don't get us a job good enough to support them!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
I've been to all the states your looking at except Maine, but i hear its beautiful. Along with all your picks, there is something beautiful in each one. Cost of Living is High in the New England states thats for sure. NMC here in Mi. i thought i heard was hiring English Prof. but im not for certain. I love living in this area, to me this is home and i've only been here for two years. I live in the woods, the water/Lake Michigan is close by, and shopping is close by too.
Even though we can give you our advice, go with your gut feeling on where you would be happy. That feeling that is pulling you in one direction more so than the others. Good Luck.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 26,203 times
I grew up in Leelanau County before moving to Traverse City for my first two years of College, (NMC). There is NO other city that is safer than Traverse City, in my opinion. The people are friendly and easy going, plus the city is expanding rapidly! There is a new "warehouse" district with some great micro-brews as well as TONS of small businesses to explore. It def. has a small town feel, with big city "chains" - if that's what you are looking for. Traverse City is the hub for all of Northern Michigan.

Personally, I think the nightlife is lacking a bit. Things close earlier then I'd like - not many (or any?) 24hr places. But the people are great and there is SO much to do if you like nature and outdoor activities.

If you're looking for more countryside and privacy, and don't mind a 15-20 minute drive to the city, I highly recommend checking out Leelanau county. It's beautiful, quiet, and spacious!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Leelanau: one of the great places on the earth.

NMJ / FALL 2000 / Looking Down
Leelanau County, Traverse City Area and Northern Michigan information & photos
www.lelandmi.com
http://leelanauchamber.com/

Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 89,308 times
thank you guys so much for your comments - I have always loved northern Michigan and I'm hoping it's not just my childhood dreaming that inclines me that way. I need to make decisions here that will affect me for the rest of my life and I am very nervous about it. Thank you all so much for your help - and perhaps I'll see you someday in Leelanau

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbianca View Post
thank you guys so much for your comments - I have always loved northern Michigan and I'm hoping it's not just my childhood dreaming that inclines me that way. I need to make decisions here that will affect me for the rest of my life and I am very nervous about it. Thank you all so much for your help - and perhaps I'll see you someday in Leelanau
If your having a hard time deciding...leaving may be a mistake, and you will really miss this beautiful part of our state. I would do anything to live in the TC area....one day I will.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM

18 posts, read 47,834 times
Life is awesome in Leelanau County. Period. The school districts, especially Glen Lake, have plenty of money, thanks to the many summer homes up there that are taxed heavily and send no students to the school. Traverse City is close enough to be accessible when needed and yet avoidable during certain overcrowded times during the summer, ie- Cherry Festival.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
If you've got a FT teaching job that you like in Dowagiac, and you don't want to work at a 4-year college, why leave? Is Dowagiac so bad? You can always visit those other places in the summer. You could also get a vacation home in the TC area and move up there when you retire.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 AM

14 posts, read 27,332 times
Hi, I live in the Petoskey/Boyne City/East Jordan area, about an hour north of Traverse City (Charlevoix County). We love Traverse City for shopping, but find it very busy as an actual place to live. It struggles with the perennial problem of being "loved to death", resulting in traffic and congestion. The Petoskey area is noticeably smaller and not as crowded, although on a busy summer day it also has traffic problems. In Michigan all over, and up north particularly, the most important consideration will be having a rock solid job lined up before you make the move. The population of the entire state is shrinking which means there is less and less demand for many services. The summers are too short and the winters too long, but at least when it is winter there is snow on the ground and not the brown slush found in and around the greater Detroit area. We found that we do most serious shopping online as few stores are close or have the variety of choices we crave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan