Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times

Advertisements

So, last Sunday, as with millions of other Americans, I was getting my fill of the Super Bowl. It was slightly after the airing of the now well-known Chrysler ad featuring Eminem that I began to realize something. This scrawny white guy came from the absolute epitome of Detroit slums. And now...now he has become one of the most influential spokespersons for this city. I think that commercial carved that out for him. Talk about a complete 180.

Marhsal has grown up a lot since the Slim Shady LP. His lyrics reflect that and his attitude reflects that. I don't know, but I think this guy could use his influence and power to do something amazing for this city. Regardless of what you politicos out there think of Chrysler accepting bailout money, you have to admit that commercial last Sunday was emotionally powerful. Damn, even I got choked up.

So what do you think? Does Eminem have the ability to really do something great for the city of Detroit and state of Michigan? He seems like the ironic choice for a geographic icon given his past, but a lot has changed; let bygones be bygones, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Slums? Raised in Warren, not the east side...

But the commercial is the best I have seen in SB Sunday in a long time.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,535 times
Eminem, Detroit supporter though he may be doesn't seem like a guy who could get a bunch of Fortune 500 companies to invest in Detroit.

This is not me saying that Detroit is doomed and should be nuked etc. I just feel it is limited as to what a single entertainer can do to improve the lot of an entire city.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Eminem, Detroit supporter though he may be doesn't seem like a guy who could get a bunch of Fortune 500 companies to invest in Detroit.

This is not me saying that Detroit is doomed and should be nuked etc. I just feel it is limited as to what a single entertainer can do to improve the lot of an entire city.
Whoa, never underestimate the power that one person has. Every fire has its starting point.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Whoa, never underestimate the power that one person has. Every fire has its starting point.
Exactly. Eminem won't negotiate deals to bring in F500 companies, but he can be the face of this state's resurrection. Don't take for granted how much power, money, and influence this guy has.

I just think it's incredible how someone from such meager beginnings has skyrocketed to this level of fame.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,354,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
True enough, and just think how many stars there are out there that came from Detroit (SEMichigan). That is a lot of fire power, so to speak.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,535 times
I know that Detroit is desperate for hope/success.

But it is one commercial from a guy who lives in Oakland Twp.

I will be happy to be proven completely wrong.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I know that Detroit is desperate for hope/success.

But it is one commercial from a guy who lives in Oakland Twp.

I will be happy to be proven completely wrong.
I'm just saying that he may be just the spark that 1000 other people needed to start being proud of Detroit again, which might influence 1000x1000 more people. If you read the comments on the youtube page (skipping past the nimrods who will complain about anything), you'll find a lot of people were affected by it. Nobody but a handful of people knows he lives in Oakfield Twp.

Plus, Fortune 500 companies aren't creating jobs anymore, not since about 2000. It's small business startups:

Job Growth in U.S. Driven Entirely by Startups, According to Kauffman Foundation Study

Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM

88 posts, read 189,917 times
After years and years of Detroit being vilified by the national media and so called "experts" who had never been to Detroit or S.E. Michigan it's about time Detroit got some positive press. I think it could be a good starting point to a better future for Detroit and all of S.E. Michigan. Eminem maybe the starting spark for the positive and I hope he hooks up with Chrysler for the long term. And "Imported from Detroit" is an excellent slogan - some how tie that into "Pure Michigan" and you got some teriffic advertising.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM

21,156 posts, read 19,742,228 times
I wouldn't buy a car from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan