Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM

74 posts, read 248,266 times

Advertisements

This is a vote from a Pennsylvania Christmas Tree farmer.... go with the Charlie Brown table top model! $30 for a real tree is a steal!

Hate to be the Grinch, but after growing them, shearing them and harvesting them.... small is better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM

810 posts, read 3,295,002 times
We use both. A real tree from a tree farm in Rockford and 2 artificial trees. All are 9' footers. The real tree goes into the great room and the other 2 fakes goes into the dining room and living room.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Last year I saw a story about a guy who rented real trees out for Christmas, then people just returned them and he continued to let them grow for the next year. ...he was crazy busy!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times
Real tree! But my, are they getting expensive. The only time I felt bad about getting a real tree was two years ago. We were in the high desert, so all the trees were shipped in. I tried convincing the family to decorate a agave stalk (you glue glitter onto the pods and they look very pretty), but lost out to tradition. Almost every other year, we have gone into the woods to cut our own. For two years in northern MN, it meant cutting down from under the powerline going through the property (all those are slated to be cut at some point, anyhow). Last year it was on Forest Service land (you buy a permit and a lot cheaper than buying a shipped in tree). We are still in Arizona, so I don't feel bad cutting one down. First, they have specific areas outlined and specific tree types that you can cut. Secondly, in many areas there is too high of a tree density.

At different times while living back north (and not close to a powerline), we would look for groups of trees that were obviously growing too thick and took from there.

Of course, none of these look like the picture-book Christmas tree, but I love it all the more for it. I hated it the few times I was reduced to choosing one from a lot--I grew up going to the tree farm, going for a hayride, hiking around the snow and finding the perfect one. Now, after tramping the woods for a perfect wild one, I don't think I would like going to a tree farm. I love the time spent with the family and the tradition. Maybe I will change my mind regarding real vs. fake when I'm older, but as of right now, I am firmly in the "real" camp and have no qualms about cutting a tree down once a year!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 287,490 times
I personally would rather have a real tree regardless of the mess (this may come as a shock to those of you who know my aversion to all things messy!). The smell is the best!

Unfortunately, my son has horrible allergies and cannot breath very well with a real tree in the house so we have to go for the fake ones.

Both of our trees are artificial but one of them is probably my favorite tree I have EVER had. It is a pre-lit tree. I DETEST untangling light strands so this tree is PERFECT! Set it up, plug it in! That's all there is to it... then let the kids hang the ornaments!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM

760 posts, read 2,432,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Last year I saw a story about a guy who rented real trees out for Christmas, then people just returned them and he continued to let them grow for the next year. ...he was crazy busy!
Now that's a concept I've never thought of before! Interesting.....

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Wow, $30 for a real tree? I usually get them for $10 - $15 depending on the size (but I know the growers also, normally they run $20 and up). This year we are dealing with the cub scouts and they get to cut a bunch of trees that are not perfectly trimmed and they are selling them; 6 foot and under for $5 and anything over 6 foot is $10. They look nice and it helps out the scouts, win-win for all involved. I have a beauty 10 footer in mind for the family room, but I won't have it cut for a couple weeks yet.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow, $30 for a real tree? I usually get them for $10 - $15 depending on the size (but I know the growers also, normally they run $20 and up). This year we are dealing with the cub scouts and they get to cut a bunch of trees that are not perfectly trimmed and they are selling them; 6 foot and under for $5 and anything over 6 foot is $10. They look nice and it helps out the scouts, win-win for all involved. I have a beauty 10 footer in mind for the family room, but I won't have it cut for a couple weeks yet.
Wow..those are great prices! I could never find one I like at the places that have them shipped in, so thats why I liked cutting them. Last year...I think it was last year...I cut one down in a snowstorm, so when I brought it home and put it inside it was dripping water for hours...it was nasty. Im a little excited this years because we just bought one that is pre-lit, so I dont have to put all those lights on, but I know in a few years I will want another real one.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,018,468 times
We bought a fake one a few years ago for 8o bucks. Our HOA didn't allow real ones. A couple of weeks before Christmas last year and I noticed a BIG SALE on real trees.....as low as 80 bucks....

No HOA now....

I'm thinkin' real tree.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM

362 posts, read 693,266 times
Go with the fake tree goes with the rest of the fake Christmas. That love of buying expencive gifts for family and friends. That griping about the expencive gift that sams family bought you and you now are going to return.

Never mind the real meaning of Christmas just make sure the tree is big enought to impress the friends who may stop over.

BA HUM BUG

Those who want a real tree and don't want to cut one go to a nursery and buy one in a pot they can be resonable if bought in Oct at close out prices in most cases then you can plant them when spring comes.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan