Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,460,150 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info for Port Austin....

Thanks in advance....BGF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

I am just looking for any info about Port Austin. I've visited the town a few times during the summer and entertain the idea of getting a beach-house or the next best thing. Just looking for broad general info that can pertain to anything like "Port Austin sucks!" or "it's nice in the summer but not so in the winter".

Anything can and will help. I don't really know anyone to shoot the breeze about Port Austin with to get a feel for the town.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,867,278 times
I would think Port Austin would be a great little town. Maybe a bit busy during the summer, but I have never heard anything bad about it. Its very nice up that way...very nice!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I would think Port Austin would be a great little town. Maybe a bit busy during the summer, but I have never heard anything bad about it. Its very nice up that way...very nice!
Yeah, i usually take my family up to the beach a few times during the summer and oftentimes, stop in town to get something to eat. We like to stop at Port Crescent State Park and just love the beach. It's usually secluded and just peaceful.

The reason i'm asking about Port Austin is i would like to, one day, get a beach house or the next best thing around there. This is where city-data and i meet to get more info on the town itself.

I would like any help at all.....

Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,229 times
I was born and raised in Port Austin! Anything specific you'd like to know?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,985,859 times
My aunt has a place in Port Austin. She bought it about 15 years ago right on Lake Huron. She had a nice beachfront and I remember swimming there quite a few times. You had to take a 2 track back to the place that was basically only accessible by snowmobile in the winter, but her back door was no more than 10 yards to the water front. Now the lake has receded and she no longer has a beach. It's all a bunch of weeds and she can't cut them down because it's protected wetlands and they are so high she doesn't even have a view of the water anymore. She can't even sell the property for what she paid for it back in 1995. The town is small and there's really nothing there. Caseville is nicer but again, nothing. If you like tiny towns with nothing, Port Austin is great. Bad Axe is the major city in the thumb. It has a Walmart. The drive to Post Austin is rather boring as it's mostly agriculture. The coastline around the thumb is rather dull and probably the worst in the state which probably explains why the thumb has the cheapest lakefront property in the state. Finally it's probably considered northern Michigan and on this forum anything in northern Michigan is fantastic.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
My aunt has a place in Port Austin. She bought it about 15 years ago right on Lake Huron. She had a nice beachfront and I remember swimming there quite a few times. You had to take a 2 track back to the place that was basically only accessible by snowmobile in the winter, but her back door was no more than 10 yards to the water front. Now the lake has receded and she no longer has a beach. It's all a bunch of weeds and she can't cut them down because it's protected wetlands and they are so high she doesn't even have a view of the water anymore. She can't even sell the property for what she paid for it back in 1995. The town is small and there's really nothing there. Caseville is nicer but again, nothing. If you like tiny towns with nothing, Port Austin is great. Bad Axe is the major city in the thumb. It has a Walmart. The drive to Post Austin is rather boring as it's mostly agriculture. The coastline around the thumb is rather dull and probably the worst in the state which probably explains why the thumb has the cheapest lakefront property in the state. Finally it's probably considered northern Michigan and on this forum anything in northern Michigan is fantastic.
Thanks!

That's a bit of info i'm looking for! Yeah, the drive up to Port Austin is quite boring but it's close to home for a place of retreat. If i had it my way, i'd be anywhere between Old Mission to Good Hart for a vacation property. I can handle the "boringness" of town cause i'm already accustomed to that part living where i am.

Good news on lakefront property being cheap!

Is your aunt's property up for listing? If so, could you link it to me? Thanks in advance......

Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,824 times
I too am interested in information about Port Austin. Years ago there was a company there that made childrens wagons and scooters. They made Coaster Craft wagons and were absolutely beautiful. I am assuming this company is no longer in existence as I can find NO information about it. The Willis family owned the company. I found a picture of the company, with an older car from the early 50's parked in the driveway.If you have any info regarding this company, I would love to know it. Thanks ro_sie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan