Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM

61 posts, read 112,697 times

Advertisements

Hi, Ya all! I officially turned from a big metropolitan city dreamer to a “yooper-want-to-be” now! :-D DH might get a job in Munising and we, together with our young toddler, are hoping moving to Marquette or Munising area. It has been a pretty long soul-searching journey for me and I can’t help but to share. :-)

UP is hubby’s spiritual home. He went to college and then graduate school in Tech but had to move to lower state for job. It has been a dream to him to move up to UP. He’s very much a Yooper by personality, characters, hobbies, love of snow/ cold climate and forest… Through the years we are married, he kept talking about how nice, friendly, and down-to-earth the people are, how beautiful and spiritual the sunset on the lake is…

I’m originally from China, went to graduate school in New York state and had very much been an ambitious career-oriented city girl till I married dear husband (DH). When I met my hubby a few years ago, I was in graduate school and actively planning a career in San Francisco. He, on the other hand, was looking for opportunities to move to UP. Despite our differences, we fell in love and got married. That was four years ago. So basically we both compromised and stayed in lower state Michigan.

Hubby showed me around UP a few years ago. We bought a sticker for our Chevy says “I love da U.P., eh.” from the Ishpeming tourist tramp Lol. The scenery of pictured rocks and other places are breath-taking. Meanwhile, I thought the towns were secluded, lack of diverse community, and lack cultural resources and job opportunities to lead a fulfilling career for me. That was a few years ago.

In the past a few years, I picked up or improved my skills on all sorts of outdoor activities such as sailing, skiing, shooting (skeet and trap), horseback riding, etc. I also began to see the differences between country folks and city dwellers. Since we got our little baby last year, I began to feel a highly challenging 9-5 job unimaginable. I miss my boy a lot even if I don’t see him for a few hours! I currently only work part-time. My love for my baby and the influence from my “yooper by nature” hubby gradually helps me to see there are much more things about life than a glamorous career. And, getting involved and contributing to the local community is nothing less important than working for a big international organization in NYC or San Fran.

Hubby changed companies a couple times because well, he wouldn’t cooperate his supervisor to do dishonest things. Now he’s having a bit rough time again with his current company. He kept saying people used to, and people up north still, pride on honest businesses, etc. I proposed probably he’d be much happier if we lived up north. But he worry it’s too big a difference than what I’m used to. Amazing enough, a job opening in Munising prop up and there’s a possibility that DH will get this job. DH thinks I’d be happier living in Marquette where there’re more things, and there might be more chances for me to find some work to do in Marquette, esp in the college. But I think one hour commute from Munising to Marquette is a bit crazy.

Then in the past a few days, I read posts on this forum and Tripadvisor related to Marquette and UP living, and searched for as much information as I could. The more I found about this area, the more excited I got. I also impressed by how affordable the workshops and cultural activities are. (a Zumba class cost only 5 bucks, Nutcracker only $14 for adults.) I stayed up till 2 or 3am and got up early to read all the infos, events, and real estate listings. I began to vision how cool the life would be to live east or south Marquette, close to the Art and Culture center, and close to the lake. There truly aren’t many cool places like Marquette (or Houghton), with so many awesome things to offer—the scenery, the culture, the people, the outdoor activities… I also kept thinking what’s best for my little one. DH considers that living up north will help our children to grow up to be self-reliant, honest, family-oriented and down-to-earth person.

Thanks for listening to my rambling on. I just got too excited not to share. I believe every “transplant” choose to live up UP has their own story to tell. Here’s mine so far, and it’s not the ending yet… lol

Oh I do have a couple question and I’d appreciate any input.
1. Which schools/ school districts are the best?
2. I’m thinking of living in south Mqt (south of 41 and 28, close to Superior Hills Elementary and comparatively closer to Munising.) or close to the Arts and Culture Center (Peter White library). What do you think of these areas? I noticed the houses for sale tend to be very old and comparatively more expensive.
3. Hubby was talking about buying a snowmobile to commuter between Mqt and Munising when there’s big snow. Someone said it’s not practical. What would you say?
4. Which restaurants are local’s favorite and what dishes you would recommend?

We are paying a visit this weekend and I just can’t wait! This week passes sooooo slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
That font thing is not working.

Howdy, We live in Marquette here. From the sounds of it you would definitely be happier in Marquette then Munising. Much more culture, diversity, and things to do.
I would recommend looking for a house in the Harvey area. Cuts a few minutes off of hubby's commute but you'll still be pleny close enough to Marquette and all that it offers.
Sometimes M-28 between Munising and Marquette is closed during the winter due to white-outs, but just have hubby keep an overnight bag in the car in case he has to stay overnight with a coworker or a motel. It doesn't happen that often but it does happen.
Forget the snowmobile for work commute. Just drive.
School districts within Marquette public schools..... they're all the same really. The district is not that big.
I like pretty much any restaurant you'll find downtown as well as the ones on 3rd st. The dishes will depend on what your tastes are.
This is a wonderful place to raise a family and I'm sure y'all will love it up here. Good luck!!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM

103 posts, read 219,527 times
First of all do not use all the font stuff it does not work ;p. As fare as living in Livonia MI, it is a great place to live but how ever their is no apartments in Livonia. I do not live in Livonia more like Redford MI, it is gets off Beach Daly road and 5 mile road. Their are plenty housing for sale in Michigan now. Also if your looking for great school districts are also good in both townships. Now if your looking to rent an apartment out look in Inkster MI their are some good ones out their and also Dear Born MI and Dear Born Heights MI.

If you could tell me what state your coming form I can tell you witch place would be almost like home to you. Also include what career are you into.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Wow...that was tough to read...anyways, I see a bit of a red flag in that you wanted to live in CA, which may mean you dont like the winters too much. I would say if you are even thinking of moving to the U.P, you better make darn sure you can adjust to the longer snowier winter season, and just the solitude of the place...or it wont work. If you are a person who can easily adjust....go for it! Its not for everyone..but definitely awesome!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM

351 posts, read 797,133 times
Jeg has a valid point about Harvey (a suburb of Mqt) but I personally prefer living on the east side as it is close to the beach, downtown, etc...When I get home I do not have to drive anywhere, I can walk or ride my bike which is nice especially if you are commuting like your husband would be doing. By the way Marquette to Munsing is about 40 minutes so is not such a bad drive. The scenery is nice and traffic is not like large metro areas. Me my wife and kids moved into town so we could walk and ride our bikes to most places. Best of luck.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Oh sorry. I thought maybe I was the only one seeing a messy format. I couldn't figure out how to edit and change the font. Any ideas?

We are going up to Munising/Marquette the day after tomorrow and I simply can't wait! I will post an update after the trip.:-) Thanks for the suggestion about Harvey. We'll have a look around that area too. I hope to find a place close to an elementary school, a grocery stores and activities. I especially like to have a neighborhood where my kids can just walk to next door to find kids to play with. For now, after looking and searching on google earth for quite a while, I also really like the east area. Just like Joemits said, walk or bike to the beach, stores, and activities. It looks like the houses there are easily hundred years old. They easily get pluming and other problems if not well maintained. We'll have to see. :-(

Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM

351 posts, read 797,133 times
Most of houses have had updates :-)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM

I lived in Buffalo, NY for ...4 years. Buffalo got a lot of lake-effect snow too and there I learned downhill skiing and definitely fell in love with it. I used to take 12 credit phd courses on other semesters(which is crazy plus my student assistant work trust me) so that I could take as little credit as allowed to go ski during the winter semester. lol The Marquette Mountain ski hill is a big draw for me. lol

But because I'm now expecting and can't do winter sports, this winter is going to suck. :-( I'll need to find other things to do and get involved in community as soon as we move there to avoid cabin fever or feeling lonely.

What do you mean the "solitude of the place"? Because it's far from big cities? Well, hubby promised me one trip a year to big metropolitans. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Wow...that was tough to read...anyways, I see a bit of a red flag in that you wanted to live in CA, which may mean you dont like the winters too much. I would say if you are even thinking of moving to the U.P, you better make darn sure you can adjust to the longer snowier winter season, and just the solitude of the place...or it wont work. If you are a person who can easily adjust....go for it! Its not for everyone..but definitely awesome!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM

Hi Jeeg, First of all, it's great to "see" you! I saw quite a few of your posts in others' threads.

I remember someone else also said somewhere that commuting between Mqt and Munising with snowmobile is not practical. Why? Is it because the trails are not well maintained?

I thought snowmobiles are very common up there. Do the locals use snowmobile mostly for recreation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
That font thing is not working.

Howdy, We live in Marquette here. From the sounds of it you would definitely be happier in Marquette then Munising. Much more culture, diversity, and things to do.
I would recommend looking for a house in the Harvey area. Cuts a few minutes off of hubby's commute but you'll still be pleny close enough to Marquette and all that it offers.
Sometimes M-28 between Munising and Marquette is closed during the winter due to white-outs, but just have hubby keep an overnight bag in the car in case he has to stay overnight with a coworker or a motel. It doesn't happen that often but it does happen.
Forget the snowmobile for work commute. Just drive.
School districts within Marquette public schools..... they're all the same really. The district is not that big.
I like pretty much any restaurant you'll find downtown as well as the ones on 3rd st. The dishes will depend on what your tastes are.
This is a wonderful place to raise a family and I'm sure y'all will love it up here. Good luck!!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsailor View Post
I lived in Buffalo, NY for ...4 years. Buffalo got a lot of lake-effect snow too and there I learned downhill skiing and definitely fell in love with it. I used to take 12 credit phd courses on other semesters(which is crazy plus my student assistant work trust me) so that I could take as little credit as allowed to go ski during the winter semester. lol The Marquette Mountain ski hill is a big draw for me. lol

But because I'm now expecting and can't do winter sports, this winter is going to suck. :-( I'll need to find other things to do and get involved in community as soon as we move there to avoid cabin fever or feeling lonely.

What do you mean the "solitude of the place"? Because it's far from big cities? Well, hubby promised me one trip a year to big metropolitans. :-)
Yes...there are really no other "big" cities around, thats what I meant by solitude. As far as answering your question to JEEG about snowmobiling to Munising...I think its just the distance. It would take quite a while on a snowmobile, but I believe the trails are very well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan