Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,051 times

Advertisements

I know that in michigan we have many problems, but I went to see the movie sicko by micheal moore, and I was so discusted by what I already knew from working as a nurse in the health care industry.
This movie should be seen by all us here and we should all be ashamed.
After seeing this movie we should stand up and revolt against the powers that be by voteing them out of office.
In the movie moore showes video of a woman being dumped [pushed] out of a cab that the hospital discharged in her gown.
She is dumped on skidrow because she had no insurance and the hospital did not want to take care of her.
He then has several people who volunteered to help on 9/11 and then got sick from the toxic dust of digging in the rubble, and the us government will not help becuase of the fact that they were not on the "payrole" while helping.
I know this is off toppic but I also think it is time we a citizens of this country take it back.
The lobyists have taken over what is supposed to be people working for us.
I recomend every one see this movie.
And vote accordingly this next election.
For those who say "why should I pay for someone else to get health care?"
Why should I pat taxes to have roads when I do not drive?
Why should I pay taxes for schools when I do not have children?
Why should I pay for taxes for a war I do not agree with?
We all pay taxes for things we do not use, How is it a country that is the richest in the world can not take care of its citizens when they are sick?
This is a question that we should all be ashamed of the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,172 times
Default Just saw it myself....

Almost makes you want to go live in another country....

Truth of the matter is... Americans are under a choke hold of debt and fear tactics while being passified by stupid news stories about Paris or Anna Nicole. Any nah sayer needs to truly sit back and re-evulate what really goes on.

Taking all those folks to the hospital brought tears to my eyes. You're so used to thinking a movie is make believe, but the fact that all those people could not get medical attention in the US but were treated successfully absolutely free of charge really did happen. And it brings me such great sadness to know that our country is in the state that it is in.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
What country would you move to?? Where is it better? I travel out of the US in Central America often, I own land there. We have it better than anyplace. Is it perfect? NO.

If it is so bad here, why do people risk their lives to come here?

Let me tell you about Cuba. I have a friend whose daughter (8) and wife were raped and killed in front of him. His crime? There was an illegal political meeting in his neighborhood. He did not attend.

I was at his home one afternoon and he suddenly stood. Why? They were playing the National Anthem on TV. Ours, he made it to Miami.

He always asks me what is wrong with the people of the US that we do not vote.

Yes, the US is 37 on the heath care list, Cuba is 39.

If we are under a choke hold of debt, it is our choice. Most live beyond their means.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,172 times
Default I hardly call a $60K ER bill "living beyond means"

Europes health system and overall society treats ALL members much better than anything here. You don't find old, should be retired grandparents working at Walmart just to put food on the table because their pension was robbed or their prescription coverage leaves something to be desired.

My husband and I don't have credit cards, car payments, or student loans. By all means, we live within our means.... because we pay for everything outright rather than make payments on it. But, we haven't had health insurance in over a year (both laid off last year). My husband had an unexpected trip to the ER last month. Turns out he has internal bleeding and he was in shock from blood loss, he blood count was lethally low. We're expecting at least $60K for the several trips to the ER that week, the gastric scope, doctors, anthesiaists (sp?), bed space, MRI, xrays, etc,etc. Oh yeah, and we had to FIGHT the ER staff for several hours for a blood transfusion because we had no insurance! It was a matter of life of dealth... and we had to FIGHT for it!

Is it our fault we were laid off and not eligible for government medical assistance? Is it our fault he had a medical crisis? And I know for a fact we're not the only ones that have dealt with this sort of medical issue. Yes, central America or Cuba may leave MANY, MANY things to be desired. But, so does America. There may be punishment for secret political meetings, but are we not "punished" if we're not rich or well off? Are American elderly citizens that have to work crappy PT jobs to make ends meet - long after they've retired - not being "punished" because apparently their contribution to society wasn't enough?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
first of all to say that the us is fine because of something that happend to someone in a country like cuba is a straw man argument.
This is the same tactic that bush is using by saying I commuted scooter and well well clinton did it, well did not the repubs grip like little girls when he did? and now to use him as a excuse to do something moraly wrong? I guess as long as we are at it nixon had the dems headquarts broken in to so bush can do that also.
We have a health car problem in this county, not the quality, but the access, to misdirect is wrong, we have washington run by lobbyists, whos only concern is for the big business who they represent.
We are in a war that we are loosing.
We have no leadership in washington who represent us.
We need a big change. and 08 is our best chance.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Europes health system and overall society treats ALL members much better than anything here. You don't find old, should be retired grandparents working at Walmart just to put food on the table because their pension was robbed or their prescription coverage leaves something to be desired.

My husband and I don't have credit cards, car payments, or student loans. By all means, we live within our means.... because we pay for everything outright rather than make payments on it. But, we haven't had health insurance in over a year (both laid off last year). My husband had an unexpected trip to the ER last month. Turns out he has internal bleeding and he was in shock from blood loss, he blood count was lethally low. We're expecting at least $60K for the several trips to the ER that week, the gastric scope, doctors, anthesiaists (sp?), bed space, MRI, xrays, etc,etc. Oh yeah, and we had to FIGHT the ER staff for several hours for a blood transfusion because we had no insurance! It was a matter of life of dealth... and we had to FIGHT for it!

Is it our fault we were laid off and not eligible for government medical assistance? Is it our fault he had a medical crisis? And I know for a fact we're not the only ones that have dealt with this sort of medical issue. Yes, central America or Cuba may leave MANY, MANY things to be desired. But, so does America. There may be punishment for secret political meetings, but are we not "punished" if we're not rich or well off? Are American elderly citizens that have to work crappy PT jobs to make ends meet - long after they've retired - not being "punished" because apparently their contribution to society wasn't enough?
I do believe we are responsible for ourselves. If you are not eligible you must have too many assets, or money. I do know we need a safety net. Just not national heath care. I guess if I felt Europe was so much better, I would move there. Typing on a INTERNET forum, and being destitute does not equate to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
If you hate the US so much, then bye-bye.

Seriously, I refuse to believe that ANY film by Michael Moore is completely factual and trustworthy. He, himself should not be an American since he hates the US so much.

And furthermore, WHAT does this post have to do with Michigan? Nothing.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
Ah, the old love it or leave it crowd.
Not to new. people have done this since the nam.
If you dont support the nam war you need to get out.
Well it took a few years but more and more people came to realize that it was a loosing propasistion.
Also tearing down moore and not dealing with his message is not to birght.
Poeple who do this can not argue afectivly with the message.
How can you defend a healcare system that has its insurance issures makeing record proffits and giving less and less care to its users.
And the people who say that if you are on the internet can not complain because you must have $ not to birght either.
Many said this like limbaugh mentioned above, He said on national radio, that the poor could have gotten out of New Orleans before katrina, Bull pucky, These people had now where to go.
They had now means to get to now where .
People who say this crap are elitist.
You can judge a country by how it takes care of its poor.
And we do misirable at it.
We have 1 billion a week to fight a war in iraq that will sooner or later be proven to be folly.
A billion a week?
The government will not even buy the best body armor for our troups, no they buy from the company that donated themost to the politicitons campaing funds.
We are a joke among the world.
I love the county but I hate the political system.
It is corrupt to the max and it is sick.
So to those who stand by spouting love it or leave it, I say fix it or leave it because you are facilitators of this sickness, you who defend it when it is wrong, you who defend the lies, defend the mistreatment, defened the corrupt, you are the ones who are disloyal to our country.
You should leave this great land.
I am sick and tired of people pointing their unintelligent finger and saying you are not an amercian becuase you do not think like me.
Well sir people who spout that are the tyrants, the bullies that need to be brought down.
This election will show that people are sick and tired of lies and retorhic.
The people of this courntry in the middle who swing the elections are sick of "staying the course" sick of being told stupid statments like, fight the eivl doers, fight the bad guys or we will have mushroom clouds in the us."
We are growing up fast in the old usa, and I hope we can elect someone who will stand with out being bought by big business.
You who help keep things as they are, are the ones who need to love it or leave it, buecasue you surly do not love this country when you do not help it to get better.
Maybe we can all get togeather and give these people a state and they can have nixon as their ideal person to try to strive for.
Corruption at any cost.
lies before truth.
selfishness before helping.
You can sit and point your fingers at all the states around you saying
What a bunch of idiots and ban the word french from your language.
you can sit and mass your own wealth and eat "freedom fries" as you do the Take care of your self.
You can police yourself, teach youown, because why should you ever spend a dime to teach someone elses kid?
fight your own fires, even do your own medicine. Yep sounds like a great place to live, pause pause pause NOT

Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
If only I could understand that rambling post above, I might reply to it. But - gah! I think Adler is back.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
I understand the post.
I agree and have seen the movie. I am also ashamed to be part of this screwed up system.
Look at what big business is doing to michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan