Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Dang it Michiganmoon! I'm trying my darnest to lure fresh blood to our state and here you go scaring them all off again. I for one am getting tired of eating my fellow Michiganians! They all taste the same. I'm hoping to snare us some folks from the gulf states or the eastern starboard. I hear they are much tastier! Anyhow........... it makes it sort of hard to lure them here if you're scaring them away with the truth!

I had some Flint "rump roast" yesterday. Not bad actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,991 times
Michigan is great state to visit but hell to live in!! I was born and raised in michigan and after 42yrs finally getting good sense to leave! Economy sucks! Hate the winters!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmiami View Post
ROFL! Thanks for that bit of comic relief, Jeff. I think you poor despairing souls should move to South Florida--you know: the sunshine state! Its paradise!

We have jobs! (Of course, you will have to drive two hours in each direction fending off outrageous acts of road rage aggression to get to those jobs. And, after you do that for a month or two, what's left of your original sunny disposition will be transformed into a similar rise in aggression of your own just to survive).

We have a beautiful warm climate! (Of course we also have the highest rate of skin cancer of any state in the U.S. but why worry about that--it usually doesn't even show up until you're past the age of forty).

We have new schools! (Of course, they are all overcrowded and most students end up in 'portable' classrooms which are essentially trailers sitting in the school parking lot with 30-35 students per class and a very overwhelmed teacher who is getting paid less than teachers in 31 other states in the country--Michigan, to its credit, has the fourth highest average salary for teachers in the country).

We are gaining population! (Of course we are also moving up in crime ratings. Florida now has the 7th highest crime rate of all 50 states, and, yes, Michigan's crime rate is lower--not great at number 12 but still lower).

We don't have state income tax! (Of course, if you actually want to buy a house, you are required to have hurricane insurance and since there is now only ONE insurance company that you can buy from (the state run agency, Citizens), you can also expect to pay an annual insurance premium that will likely EQUAL your mortgage payment each month, and that's without including the extremely high property taxes here, the combination of which makes buying a house virtually unaffordable to all but the most wealthy.

So, to all you downtrodden Michigan folks who are moving to the Sunny South where you think things are better, and away from the state where you think everything is wrong, remember there are two sides to every coin and while you may get a job in a place like S. Florida, you may also be rudely, and I do mean rudely, awakened to the fact that the quality of life here really doesn't always compare well to that of bad ol' Michigan. There are a combination of positives and negatives to any point on the map so wherever you go, you get the bad with the good.
sounds a lot like Arizona

Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
I'm a newbie to Michigan...been here a year, and yes things have not went the way we planned it, but hey neither does anything else.
But we absolutely love it here. You have to take the good and the bad and weather the storm. I wouldnt go anywhere.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan49601 View Post
Michigan is great state to visit but hell to live in!! I was born and raised in michigan and after 42yrs finally getting good sense to leave! Economy sucks! Hate the winters!
you dug up a 2 1/2 year old thread to post this?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
So...Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are that much better?

I love these forum tools......

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Even in the not so pretty parts of Michigan, I've found nothing but good.

The package on the outside isn't the best, but on the inside it's beautiful. More beautiful than NYC. More beautiful than Malibu. More beautiful than Fargo. More beautiful than Miami... To me at least.

Get up and do some soul searching, it's hard to miss the soul in Michigan.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM

541 posts, read 984,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Even in the not so pretty parts of Michigan, I've found nothing but good.

The package on the outside isn't the best, but on the inside it's beautiful. More beautiful than NYC. More beautiful than Malibu. More beautiful than Fargo. More beautiful than Miami... To me at least.

Get up and do some soul searching, it's hard to miss the soul in Michigan.
i can't agree more,beautiful place(just got a great deal on a camper) my only problem with here...can't find anyone at the pub to keep up with me,ah well try til' you succeed

Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Meet me in Detroit some time then! It's a challenge!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
I can't wait for my next vacation up in Michigan because for me in the summer, Michigan is great but I left a long time ago not for the economy but because I don't happen to love long winters and so much rain. I live where there is a little winter but I think winter is over here and spring is in the air. Today I'm going outdoors to plant a couple trees and get some sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan