Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 AM

275 posts, read 441,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Now I usualy just throw one of those steel heating packs in each boot, but it is not very compfortable to walk around with those in your boots.
I've had good luck with layering two pair of good socks, and putting the heating pack on top of my toes between the two pair of socks. I've used this eight years in a row in early February, where I was standing in a parking lot for 8 hours straight. Son's school hosts an indoor drumline competition each year as a band fundraiser, and I work the parking lot.

Quote:
Looked online at the pictures. My gloves that i love so much are either Swany X-Cell II or Xclusive model. I cannot tell for sure, I think that they are the X-cell II. They are listed at $125, but I got them on sale for about $50 or so. Althoguh they are ski gloves, I wear them all the time. They are very warm and do not restrict movement as much as many other warm gloves. I also love the heater packet pockets and the flashing to keep snow or wind from getting inside.
I'll be looking for these. As I mentioned, my hands are my weak point as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks so much for posting this!

Amazingly, I just got on here hoping someone would recommend really warm gloves that actually work.

I bought some Columbia "snow cave" gloves last week and am going to be returning them shortly - my fingers froze in 25 degree weather while wearing them

Thanks again!
Glad it helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Rabbit-fur lined "Mad Bomber" hat with ear flaps from LL Bean; ancient now and looks dorky but warm as heck.
When trying to stay warm high fashion flies right out the window, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Wool. Real wool, not some cheaper-to-make blend. It stays warm even when wet. I have a Woolrich coat that I've worn for years, and I love it. My wife likes the Navy pea-coats.

You'll have to experiment a bit, everyone is different. It's better to be over-prepared than under. Remember, though, in the winter, sweat is your enemy. You can have the warmest gear in the world, and if you start sweating, you are headed for trouble.

ETA: Forgot to say, welcome to Michigan!
That's not the first recommendation I've had on wool. My wife's uncle lives 30 miles west of where we'll be living, and he said to not buy anything but real wool socks. "Don't buy that synthetic crap!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Never underestimate the power of long underwear.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
We live on the top side of da U.P. and my wife and I both just wear carharts. I've had mine for 10 years now, just took it in and had the zipper replaced last winter. My wife has had hers for 5 years.
We don't own anything else and don't see the need to.
Another ringing endorsement for Carhartt from a reliable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Glad I found that multi quote thingamadoojob.

Thanks to all! Keep it coming.

Dave

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I was just complaining to a friend yesterday that Carhartt jackets and bib overalls were only available in black and that butt-ugly tan, and he said they had pink ones too...yee haw! I checked online and sure enough. They're cute.

Seven whole degrees this morning. Dogs are not getting a walk before work today.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I was just complaining to a friend yesterday that Carhartt jackets and bib overalls were only available in black and that butt-ugly tan, and he said they had pink ones too...yee haw! I checked online and sure enough. They're cute.

Seven whole degrees this morning. Dogs are not getting a walk before work today.
I read your post to my wife. She's already looking online.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM

74 posts, read 248,909 times
Default Pink Carhartt!

Quote:

Tractor Supply Company (TSC) is carrying the pink Carhartt stuff with a portion going to the Breast Cancer Foundation I believe the tag says.....

Wife is getting a pink Carhartt vest for Xmas.....

I swear by Carhartt like other posters.... shirts, belts, bibs and jackets....

Check out Duluth Trading though.... well built stuff and is reasonably priced. Great customer service too.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
YakTrax. Slip right over your boots or shoes. They're great for running outside in the winter, or walking on cold packed icy driveways, sidewalks, roads...

*** trax - Google Search

And I layer my gloves too. You can pick up glove liners at any sporting goods store. (I prefer to layer gloves instead of buying those really expensive bulky gloves that make it hard to grip a show shovel).

north face glove liners - Google Search

I'm not a big fan of wearing hats, but 360 Ear Muffs work great:

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=ear...t_adv_XS000000

I also wear wicking shirts in the winter as my bottom layer, even if I'm not "exercising" outside but plan to be out for a while walking the dog or shoveling or playing with the kids. That way, if you start to sweat, the wicking shirt is more comfortable than a sweaty cotton shirt. Assuming you know what a wicking shirt is, but if not, think UnderArmor (they make less expensive ones too):

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1280&bih=593

Last edited by magellan; 12-09-2010 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:

Most of their outerwear also comes in a green.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I like mittens.

Ya lose some dexterity, but who in the hell cares when yer ice fishin' with a minus 20 wind chill.......

Got a flag?

Take the gloves off and fetch that tip up.

Put 'em back on later.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Which Carhardtt Jacket is warm? They do not look very warm

Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Which Carhardtt Jacket is warm? They do not look very warm
Looks are very deceiving. Remember that they were designed for working outside so the person needs to be able to move around easily. Their outer canvas shell is windproof so that helps in the warmth department greatly. Just drive by a construction site in the winter, 90% of the jackets being worn outside are Carhartt... we don't wear stuff that won't keep us warm all day.

I wear my "Detroit" style Carhartt until it is about freezing temp (if I will be outside all day in the low 30's I will toss on a hoodie under it). Then I switch to my Duck Traditional Coat in arctic weight. for the remainder of the year. Usually don't wear more than a t-shirt under it until it is in the teens or I know I will outside all day when it is in the low-mid 20's. Then I will add a flannel shirt. Below zero is when I will start layering with the arctic weight coat.

I also have an arctic weight vest, but never wear it. I've had it for about 15 years and bet I haven't wore it 20 times. Same for the "Extremes traditional" coat I have - it is just too warm for most days. And the Chores coat I hardly ever wear (I hate buttoning a coat, I want a zipper. ).

Last edited by Bydand; 12-10-2010 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan