Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM

275 posts, read 441,638 times

Advertisements

We're soon going to be moving from central Ohio to northeastern Michigan. We've been in central Ohio for 15 years, and the winter clothing we have is not even remotely adequate for what we'll experience in Ocqueoc. With the mild winters here we haven't had to look at buying anything along these lines in quite some time. I would love to know what specific brands/products you northerners recommend for winter gear. Boots, coats, gloves, snowshoes, etc...

We both grew up in Michigan, and have spent time up north in the winter. This will be our first time living full time up north, but we have a pretty fair idea of what we're getting ourselves into. Our goal is to stay active in the outdoors, regardless of the weather. We love hunting, camping and hiking. We're looking forward to the snow, and to doing some cross county skiing and some snowshoeing. Once we get settled after the move we'll also be looking to buy some snowmobiles. Bottom line, we love being outdoors, and we want to gear up so that the weather and snow won't hold us back.

Long story short. (I know. Too late ) What winter gear do you use? Are there specific brands/products you've found that you swear by? Are there some that have just made you swear? Responses for both men's and women's gear are welcome and would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Last edited by Dave Wojo; 12-08-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I love my Carhart jacket for most everything I do, and my wife an I just got some Stormy Kromers as gifts for each other, so well see if they are as good as people say. I dont snowmobile anymore, so I know you need different gear for that. I love the cold and snow, so my Carhart, and decent pair of gloves and boots is all I need..nothing too special. Lucky you to be moving north...we hope to be following in a few years.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I had to Google Stormy Kromer. That's the first time I've seen the brand. I see from their site that they sell hats, gloves, and some outer wear. What did you and the missus buy for each other?

Thanks for the response.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
I had to Google Stormy Kromer. That's the first time I've seen the brand. I see from their site that they sell hats, gloves, and some outer wear. What did you and the missus buy for each other?

Thanks for the response.
We got the hats. We went right by the Stormy Kromer factory in Ironwood last year, and my wife said "Hey...theres the Stormy Kromer factory!" I said whats that, and she reminded me of the Jeff Daniels video where he is in the U.P wearing his Stormy Kromer, and said its a must have in the U.P. After that I started reading about them and people do swear by them, so we went to Ed Rehmann & Sons in Chesaning last week and got one for each other as a gift for Christmas. I dont get it till X-Mas, so I cant say how well it works yet. They also make lots of other stuff and its very expensive, so I figure it must be good. There is even a Stormy Kromer Facebook page.
You can check out one of Jeff Daniels videos at the bottom of this page.http://www.stormykromer.com/
Stormy Kromer | Facebook

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Between work, and general wear I have 7 coats. 6 are Carhartt, the other one is my leather motorcycle jacket. My wife has given up trying to get me to buy and wear something else that is more "fashionable." My argument is that is is always in fashion to be warm, and never in fashion to shiver while trying to look good. I've worked outside for 10 hours straight in Northern Maine when the windchill was -80 and lower in my Carhartt arctic weight bib and jacket set without going inside to warm up once (a big part of that is also knowing how to layer underneath your outerwear). I honestly can't think of anything else I want to wear when it is cold and snowy.

She on the other hand swears by her Cabelas goose down winter coat. For her to say something is warm is a flipping miracle, so it must be REALLY warm.

Want to stay warm - layer. It really is that simple. hardest part is finding good boots that keep the cold at bay because you really can't layer your feet. I stick with Sorel, or the old military canvas Mukluks (http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0993.jpg - broken link). For the Mukluks I used almost the exact same set-up as in the photo -- 2 liners, 3 felt soles, and instead of the plastic liner I just scotchguarded the be-jezus out of them for repelling water.

Gloves - 2 pair of cheap brown jersey liners and a set of nice leather outer gloves. Now take into consideration that my hands do not get cold that often so this set-up works very well for me. I wear one pair of the jersey gloves, then put the leather ones over the top. I keep the other set of jersey gloves in my front shirt pockets, so if my hands do start to get a bit cool I just turn against the wind and swap out the inner jersey gloves for the pair that was been keeping warm against my body. Tuck the cold ones in your shirt pockets and return to work -- repeat as often as needed, and your hands stay warm all day.

Hats - A double layer knit with thinsulate lining is what I wear. If it is really cold I will break out the full face knit hat with micro-fleece face, small eye and nose openings and a mouth hole I sewed almost all the way closed so if your nose or eyes are getting cold a hard exhale will blow some warm air up the facemask and over your nose and eyes giving them a shot of warm air.

I may not look like I stepped off the cover of GQ, but I'm warm as toast no matter how cold outside.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Winter gear I swear AT. Anything with "Columbia" anywhere on it. Most worthless, overpriced crap I have ever wore in cold weather.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM

That's two ringing endorsements for Carhartt. That's an interesting approach on the gloves. My hands are my weak spot. Darn bony fingers, no meat on 'em. When my hands get cold the arthritis in my knuckles will lock them right up. Man, that makes me sound old. I'm only 45!

I had been reading some reviews on Sorel, but a different pair of boots than what your link took me to. There were quite a few complaints about quality, with comparisons between the quality for those manufactured by Sorel in Canada vs. those made since 2001, when the rights were sold to Columbia and manufacturing was shipped overseas. Have you experienced personally any falloff in quality?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Fleece is great to wear under a bigger coat, and just to let you know...I was at JC Pennys today, and they had a ton of Fleece jackets like 70% off. I could have got a real nice Fleece jacket reg. $70 for $19 (I also had a $10 off coupon) but I ended up getting a nice heavy Fleece shirt (to wear under my Carhart vest I am getting for X-Mas) for $6 reg. $40

Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Winter gear I swear AT. Anything with "Columbia" anywhere on it. Most worthless, overpriced crap I have ever wore in cold weather.
Duly noted. Thoughts then on my above comment on Sorel being manufactured by Columbia?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
There were quite a few complaints about quality, with comparisons between the quality for those manufactured by Sorel in Canada vs. those made since 2001, when the rights were sold to Columbia and manufacturing was shipped overseas. Have you experienced personally any falloff in quality?
Not yet, I'm still on my Canadian made pair I've had for many years. They are not the exact same as the link I posted, but they don't make the pair I have anymore.

I have been seriously thinking of a pair of Kamik boots. I've heard great things about them and one of my sons just HAD to have a pair last winter. He has abused those things like no tomorrow and they still look great and he says they are the warmest winter boot he has ever had. I'll see how they look at the end of this winter before I give them a try.

Last edited by Bydand; 12-08-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan