Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I was a pastor of a church where we (at one church) had several that were concealed carriers. Two were LEO's and a few others were sportsmen. I trusted each of them and never made an issue of their packing during our meetings.
That's smart because several head cases have chosen churches for their shooting sprees.

The fact is CCW licensees have a far lower incidence of committing crimes than the general populace.

I would much prefer being in a church, school, or government building where CC permittees were allowed. The bad guys don't worry about permits, laws, human life, or other petty impediments--they just shoot away.

To not understand and respect that means one is either stupid or one does not believe in the right to self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 PM

449 posts, read 934,537 times
I do believe there are places nobody should carry a gun. And there are LAWS that specify no carry zones. I believe these laws and not individuals ought to decide where you may and may not carry. If I am licensed to CCW and I go into Home Depot, it is nobodies business if I, as a legal CPL holder am carrying the pistol that I have a right to carry under the 2nd Amendment.

One could argue that in opening their doors to the public, they choose to admit anyone who is patronizing their establishment in a lawful manner. If I was naked, that would not be lawful. What if I was holding hands with my Gay lover; should they have the right to throw me out?

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure nothing can happen to you anyway unless they see the gun and ask you to leave. It is easy to walk past a sign without seeing it. And who is going to know anyway.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Ya don't even need a CCW permit to carry here in AZ.

Beautiful, eh?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
As a CPL holder, there is one thing about our gun laws that confuses me.

I am licensed to carry a concealed pistol. Therefore, it is my Constitutional right to do so. So, how is it possible that an establishment that is open to the public has the right to prohibit me from carrying there?

I would think that because carrying is my right guaranteed by the US Constitution, this is a form of discrimination and should be illegal. After all, you can't post a sign saying "no Mexicans" or "no Blacks."

Now, I understand the notion of private property. But, you can't discriminate even on private property if that property is open to the public. I would think telling someone they need to surrender their Constitutional right ought to be prohibited discrimination.

Anyway, here is a list of anti-gun business' to avoid.

MCRGO - Do Not Patronize while Armed

It is called PROPERTY RIGHTS. The owner of a business has the right to ask you to abide by certain rules to come on to his property. I think they are foolish and misguided if they think posting a NO GUNS sign is going to stop any armed robber BUT they do have the right to set their rules on THEIR property.

GL2

Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ya don't even need a CCW permit to carry here in AZ.

Beautiful, eh?
That's what we've been calling "open carry" where you can walk down mainstreet with a hogleg strapped on your side just like the old west days.

And you can do that here in Michigan as well. You just cant conceal the weapon unless you have the permit to do so.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

It is called PROPERTY RIGHTS. The owner of a business has the right to ask you to abide by certain rules to come on to his property. I think they are foolish and misguided if they think posting a NO GUNS sign is going to stop any armed robber BUT they do have the right to set their rules on THEIR property.

GL2
My thanks and rep points to Gunluvver2. He has stated quite succinctly the main point that I have been attempting to make.

Last edited by djmilf; 12-23-2010 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
That's what we've been calling "open carry" where you can walk down mainstreet with a hogleg strapped on your side just like the old west days.

And you can do that here in Michigan as well. You just cant conceal the weapon unless you have the permit to do so.
I need to explain more.

One can carry concealed here without a permit.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I need to explain more.

One can carry concealed here without a permit.
Wow. Ok, that says everything. I didnt know that. Back in 79-81 when we lived in the Phx area you had open carry with the strong recommendation (or law) that if you had a handgun in the car you should best have it laying on the seat or dashboard if pulled over.

Do you recall when the concealed law went into effect or a good guess when?

Old 12-24-2010, 05:02 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
If a business doesn't want your gun, they don't want your money. Just don't shop there. Goes along with my policy to not shop places where they check your receipt on the way out (Costco excluded) as they seem to operate under the presumption that everyone who walks into their store is a thief.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,255 times
Because you do not have a constitutional right to not be discriminated against based on guns. If I do not like blond haired plumbers I can kick them out of my bar at will. I can not rent to teachers or electricians. Protected classes are based on race,color,religion,national origin,age,sex,familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity,disability,veteran,genetic information. Other than that discriminate away. I can put up a sign that NRA members not welcome in my bar and there is nothing you can do but at best boycott the place of business. You have to learn the law to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan