Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM

275 posts, read 441,589 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Next week I plan on taking my 17 year old son skiing at Boyne Mountain/Highlands. This will be our first time going there. Folks that have been skiing there, do you have any tips, tricks, opinions, or advice?

Here is a bit of a description of our experience levels, in case it helps in providing a response. My son is far closer to a "pro" than I am. Through skiing with the ski club at his school and the couple times he's gone with me he's been skiing close to 20 times. This will be just my third time snow skiing, with my first time being just two years ago at the ripe old age of 43. I was fortunate enough to pick it up pretty readily. I chalk that up to my being an avid water skier. I was pleasantly surprised at how much translated over.

We're really looking forward to spending the day together, and to skiing on some new slopes. We'll likely be going in the middle of the week, with hopes of smaller crowds. Thanks in advance to all!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM

550 posts, read 2,051,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Hello!

Next week I plan on taking my 17 year old son skiing at Boyne Mountain/Highlands. This will be our first time going there. Folks that have been skiing there, do you have any tips, tricks, opinions, or advice?

Here is a bit of a description of our experience levels, in case it helps in providing a response. My son is far closer to a "pro" than I am. Through skiing with the ski club at his school and the couple times he's gone with me he's been skiing close to 20 times. This will be just my third time snow skiing, with my first time being just two years ago at the ripe old age of 43. I was fortunate enough to pick it up pretty readily. I chalk that up to my being an avid water skier. I was pleasantly surprised at how much translated over.

We're really looking forward to spending the day together, and to skiing on some new slopes. We'll likely be going in the middle of the week, with hopes of smaller crowds. Thanks in advance to all!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Personally, I'd choose to go to Nub's Nob directly across from Boyne Highlands...but Boyne Highlands is a close second. Both of them have great runs...and trails. I like the atmosphere better at Nubs and yeah the overall experience. But I am picky.....Where have you skiied before? These are northern Michigan Hills......great for the region, but totally different from out west...or farther north....

Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Personally, I'd choose to go to Nub's Nob directly across from Boyne Highlands...but Boyne Highlands is a close second. Both of them have great runs...and trails. I like the atmosphere better at Nubs and yeah the overall experience. But I am picky.....Where have you skiied before? These are northern Michigan Hills......great for the region, but totally different from out west...or farther north....
They've got to be better than the hills in central Ohio. That's the only skiing we've done, so our expectations should be in line.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Just checked out the site for Nub's Nob. Their rates are even a few bucks cheaper. Would you be willing to elaborate on what you prefer there to Boyne Mountain or Highlands? Thanks for your original response, by the way.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,623 times
Quote:
Just checked out the site for Nub's Nob. Their rates are even a few bucks cheaper. Would you be willing to elaborate on what you prefer there to Boyne Mountain or Highlands? Thanks for your original response, by the way.
My reasons for choosing Nub's over Highlands when growing up just 3mi down the road from there was easy. I liked going skiing without it being a fashion show. Nubs has crazy challenging hills but I cant comment on that since I've not been skiing in a long time, the quickest vertical drop you will find. Nub's had a more local flavor than did the Highlands....but that's just my and others opinion. Both places are excellent, fun times granted you get there and not have to fight long lift lines.

Hope you have a great time!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:08 AM

Thanks much for the info. We're going to give Nub's Nob a shot. Partly because of the info you all provided, but mainly because my son really wants to go there. Not because he has any knowledge of either location. Nope. He wants to because he feels that saying he went skiing at "Nub's Nob" makes for a better story to tell his friends. Teenagers.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks much for the info. We're going to give Nub's Nob a shot. Partly because of the info you all provided, but mainly because my son really wants to go there. Not because he has any knowledge of either location. Nope. He wants to because he feels that saying he went skiing at "Nub's Nob" makes for a better story to tell his friends. Teenagers.
It is the teen hangout ya know.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,687 times
As a Michigander who grew up skiing at the likes of Pine Knob in Clarkston and Alpine Valley in Highland, I love the bigger hills up at Boyne. I used to love Sugarloaf too, but sadly that's closed now.

I live in OH now, in Findlay. Having been to ski in Mansfield and taking a quick look at Bellefountaine, I think that you'll do fine at Boyne or otherwise. Just stay to the slopes that are rated to your ability, until you feel more comfortable!

As you are driving, you'll pass some great opportunities to stop. Frankenmuth is great for the family style chicken dinners! There are two restaurants, that are said to share a kitchen but we like The Bavarian Inn much better!

There is also a truck stop at the Frankenmuth/Birch Run exit called Tony's. It is a truck stop that has MAMMOTH portions! With a teenaged son, that might hit the spot!

There is a micro-brewery in Gaylord, which is where you'll probably exit 75 to start cutting over to Boyne, called Big BUck Brewery. We like that a lot too. Gaylord might be your last reasonably close stop for groceries if you want snacks and such in your room. The Kroger there is really a nice one. And it even has a Starbucks!!!

If you are at Boyne Mountain, the village will have most of what you need right there. There are a few restaurants that are better than decent, but a little pricey-- and yet so convenient, how can you pass them up?

There is also snow tubing at the Mountain and that is a HOOT! Different from Mansfield-- as they have winding shoots that whip you around at the end!

Have so much fun! If you are like us, as soon as you kit the car on the way home, you'll be trying to figure out when you can get back next!!! We'll be there in the next month or so!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
As a Michigander who grew up skiing at the likes of Pine Knob in Clarkston and Alpine Valley in Highland, I love the bigger hills up at Boyne. I used to love Sugarloaf too, but sadly that's closed now.

I live in OH now, in Findlay. Having been to ski in Mansfield and taking a quick look at Bellefountaine, I think that you'll do fine at Boyne or otherwise. Just stay to the slopes that are rated to your ability, until you feel more comfortable!

As you are driving, you'll pass some great opportunities to stop. Frankenmuth is great for the family style chicken dinners! There are two restaurants, that are said to share a kitchen but we like The Bavarian Inn much better!

There is also a truck stop at the Frankenmuth/Birch Run exit called Tony's. It is a truck stop that has MAMMOTH portions! With a teenaged son, that might hit the spot!

There is a micro-brewery in Gaylord, which is where you'll probably exit 75 to start cutting over to Boyne, called Big BUck Brewery. We like that a lot too. Gaylord might be your last reasonably close stop for groceries if you want snacks and such in your room. The Kroger there is really a nice one. And it even has a Starbucks!!!

If you are at Boyne Mountain, the village will have most of what you need right there. There are a few restaurants that are better than decent, but a little pricey-- and yet so convenient, how can you pass them up?

There is also snow tubing at the Mountain and that is a HOOT! Different from Mansfield-- as they have winding shoots that whip you around at the end!

Have so much fun! If you are like us, as soon as you kit the car on the way home, you'll be trying to figure out when you can get back next!!! We'll be there in the next month or so!
The Mountainside Grill across from the gas station has a delicious fish fry on friday nights and pretty good breakfasts in the morning. We live in Boyne City and that is one of our favorite stops.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post

Thanks much for the tips, especially the food stops along the way. We're actually already up north. We drove up to our place in Ocqueoc on Sunday. We're heading over to Nub's Nob tomorrow. We'll be making the drive up from Ohio on a pretty regular basis between now and when we move up here in July. Those food stops will come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan