Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM

19 posts, read 35,385 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are teachers in NC and looking to relocate to an urban area in Michigan. We both have master's degrees and 8+ years of experience. I am certified in many areas (K-12 language arts, social studies, math, and science) and he is certified PE/Health and has extensive experience as an assistant football and head baseball coach. What are our chances of getting teaching jobs? We both have an interest and some experience with special education and have considered trying to add this to our certification. What areas are affordable and fun for young professionals? We are ready for a move and would appreciate any advice you can offer!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Finding a teaching job in MI ? Might have more luck with a Mega-Million ticket. To be certified in MI for subjects, you need to have course work. If your certs from NC are just passing the PRAXIS, it will not get you a MI cert in that area.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 35,385 times
Thanks for the info! From what I have read, I have enough course work to be considered highly qualified in middle school math and any elementary subject. My other certifications are from the HOUSSE process. My boyfriend has enough coursework in both physical education and health to meet these standards. We are not dead set on Michigan, I just happened to have family near Detroit. We just need to get out of NC. Teachers here haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years and won't for at least 3 more.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbuff View Post
Thanks for the info! From what I have read, I have enough course work to be considered highly qualified in middle school math and any elementary subject. My other certifications are from the HOUSSE process. My boyfriend has enough coursework in both physical education and health to meet these standards. We are not dead set on Michigan, I just happened to have family near Detroit. We just need to get out of NC. Teachers here haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years and won't for at least 3 more.

Teaching jobs are very tough here. There are alot of people looking for regular ed elementary positions, the middle school math is your best chance. Your boyfriend has an even tougher prospect here with physical education. Really the best bet in Michigan right now is special education, or high school math and science.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:

And it's killing us. But even if I could get a SpEd position in MI I do not think I would return. All things considered, COL is better when the utilities are not over $300 a month and the snow isn't waist deep. Michigan has some benefits like higher salaries but the teaching conditions have been declining in recent years.
Yu might look at NoVA or TN? I believe you need 20 or 30 hours to be HQ in MI. I had to take an elementary test to meet HQ in high school resource room just before I moved to NC.
You might also look at western MI around Grand Rapids or Kzoo. The Detroit suburbs have lots of districts. Not like NC where it is the entire county right? I would probably look south of I 96 -- Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit Metro, Grand Rapids / Kzoo if you wanrt to be in a more urban setting. Some MI districts use the REAP system and Teachers-Teachers site. Others like Wayne county and Oakland County have a site where most districts list openings..Search Wayne RESA or Oakland County Schools for employment sites...

Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
We just need to get out of NC. Teachers here haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years and won't for at least 3 more.
My wife works in Education here in Michigan and would love to be able to say her pay has not changed for the past three years. Her pay has decreased each year for the past three years due to State wide budget woes and the Recession, with no end in sight for the annual reductions!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Wait a second. I thought unemployed and underemployed Michigan teachers were fleeing to North Carolina. Is the North Carolina teachers' market also glutted?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Wait a second. I thought unemployed and underemployed Michigan teachers were fleeing to North Carolina. Is the North Carolina teachers' market also glutted?
North Carolina did have a hiring freeze for educators for a while but it has since been rescinded. There are tremendous differences between MI and NC regarding how schools operate and are funded.
  • In NC nearly all school districts are county districts.
  • Funding for school construction and/or major repairs (bond money in MI) is approved by the County Commissioners who then increase local taxes if necessary to cover the cost.
  • All pay scales and benefit packages are determined by the State rather than individual districts. There is some adjustment for higher cost counties, but otherwise pay and benefits are equal across the State.
  • School operating costs are paid by the State's higher income tax and sales tax as compared to MI. Property taxes are paid on the full market value of the home but typically are much lower than Michigan's SEV calculated taxes.
  • Per pupil funding is also equal across the State. No protected wealthy enclaves like in Michigan which receive 50% to 100% more funding than other districts.
  • Local school boards exist and are elected just like MI. Significant controvery can also happen, just like MI. See Wake County's (Raleigh area) recent elections and current educational turmoil as an example of this.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Quote:
To answer, speaking from the Charlotte, NC area ... the main Char-Meck school system is in dire financial straights and is constantly laying off teachers. Several years ago a teacher could walk onto a job down here, but now existing teachers are struggling to keep jobs. It is not as bad across the states, but there are major areas that finding a teaching job is tough.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Between the budget cuts and migration of teachers, teaching positions are being squeezed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan