Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 AM

528 posts, read 885,743 times

Advertisements

Have to do my Mama hen bit and make sure everyone is okay.

Last night around 11:30 or so, we finally started getting some impressive looking amounts of snowfall, and crazy, crazy drifts. I've only seen slushy snow, so I never did fully understand the concept of whiteout conditions.

Even so, after about an hour of pretty significant snowfall, we had accumulated 1/3 of an inch on the deck my husband cleared earlier yesterday.

I dozed on and off around 1:30, woke up a few times to see some incredible snowfall.

Just got up to go check the side of the house with the furnace vent, and when I looked out at the back deck, we had 16 inches (or more). That's not total snowfall, we have much less than that in some areas, but an impressive collection in one place.

I'll be glad when the husband gets up and does a look around, the gusting wind still isn't making me the happiest camper, and I can not wait until daylight when I can see what mother nature made with all that powder. I bet it is a spectacular sight out there today!

I'll be interested to hear from you northern GR folks. I'm not that far, as the crow flies, but you guys got hammered in compared to us, so I'm curious what lies outside your window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I've got a couple small 4' drifts across the yard and running down the driveway, but nothing major. At least it is light enough that it is drifting. It is those 18-24" heavy snowfalls I don't care so much for. Those are a pain to clear out of the driveway.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 AM

Glad it's good in your area.

I can't believe the drifts. The patterns on top of some of them are amazing, waves, and ripples. The top of my minivan looks... interesting like a snowfall by LSD or something. Crazy!

The darndest thing where the snow piles up and where it doesn't.

I will just be happy when the wind mellows. I'm over the BANG! POP! GRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN.

I'm building my next house out of bricks. With steel rebar.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Have to do my Mama hen bit and make sure everyone is okay.

Last night around 11:30 or so, we finally started getting some impressive looking amounts of snowfall, and crazy, crazy drifts. I've only seen slushy snow, so I never did fully understand the concept of whiteout conditions.

Even so, after about an hour of pretty significant snowfall, we had accumulated 1/3 of an inch on the deck my husband cleared earlier yesterday.

I dozed on and off around 1:30, woke up a few times to see some incredible snowfall.

Just got up to go check the side of the house with the furnace vent, and when I looked out at the back deck, we had 16 inches (or more). That's not total snowfall, we have much less than that in some areas, but an impressive collection in one place.

I'll be glad when the husband gets up and does a look around, the gusting wind still isn't making me the happiest camper, and I can not wait until daylight when I can see what mother nature made with all that powder. I bet it is a spectacular sight out there today!

I'll be interested to hear from you northern GR folks. I'm not that far, as the crow flies, but you guys got hammered in compared to us, so I'm curious what lies outside your window.
We got a lot, and it's still coming down and blowing. Probably 14" with 2' - 3' drifts in some areas. It took me over an hour to snowblow the driveway, and it normally only takes about 20 minutes. Then the d*mn neighborhood-hired plow came through and made a nice 3' wall at the end of my driveway. Got that cleared, but could barely get out of the neighborhood. Not going anywhere anytime soon I guess.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
We got a lot, and it's still coming down and blowing. Probably 14" with 2' - 3' drifts in some areas. It took me over an hour to snowblow the driveway, and it normally only takes about 20 minutes. Then the d*mn neighborhood-hired plow came through and made a nice 3' wall at the end of my driveway. Got that cleared, but could barely get out of the neighborhood. Not going anywhere anytime soon I guess.
LOL... never knew about "snowplow rage" until recently. I'd be enraged too.

I guess some woman beat a snowplow with a shovel for doing that.

We're lucky in Lake County, they could easily do something like that to us, but they somehow magically deposit the snow in neat piles not in driveways. Not sure how they manage, but it's awfully nice of them.

We keep going between fat flakes and dusty flurries here. Neighbor came by and plowed for us before I managed to call him. Nice guy.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Pictures!

Found the mailbox! (after the plow buried it)

Deeper than the dog!

Looking off toward the main road (still no county plows through yet):

It's definitely not the worst storm I've ever seen. Reminds me of when we used to live closer to the lakeshore and this kind of snowfall was pretty common.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Cool photos! You guys got a lot more snow than us in northern Genesee county...maybe 8 inches overnight and not much blowing or drifting.

Happy that I don't have to drive anywhere today though...I put bird seed out early this morning and am enjoying the flock of creepers, jays, cardinals, sparrows, juncos, starlings, finches and chickadees outside my window.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We did not get that much. Less than a foot. Probably less than 6 inches. A little drifting, but not a big deal. They have not plowed much yet. Some streets only a little in the center. Some streets none. Only major roads are plowed. We can still get around slowly though. Not bad at all. A really beautiful snow. I could not get any of my kids to go sledding. Too bad.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We did not get that much. Less than a foot. Probably less than 6 inches. A little drifting, but not a big deal. They have not plowed much yet. Some streets only a little in the center. Some streets none. Only major roads are plowed. We can still get around slowly though. Not bad at all. A really beautiful snow. I could not get any of my kids to go sledding. Too bad.
LOL, ColdJensens, my kids have been noses to the window since we moved in, with the sleds they got for their birthdays back when we first got here dancing in their heads. We can't find the snow gear yet.

For that matter, *I* want to go sledding!

Have to find the snow bibs first. We probably have 4ft deep on our sledding hills.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Pictures!

Found the mailbox! (after the plow buried it)

Deeper than the dog!

Looking off toward the main road (still no county plows through yet):

It's definitely not the worst storm I've ever seen. Reminds me of when we used to live closer to the lakeshore and this kind of snowfall was pretty common.
Wowie! Pretty pictures, gorgeous dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: