Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

Due to things beyond our control my wife and I have been forced to buy a home and are in the process of getting it move in ready. It is about 3 miles away from our current home. My youngest son has been in the same school since day one. He loves his school and the people there all know him and love him as well. However this is not the school he should have gone too ( school of choice) so there is no bus to take him to and from. For 3 years I could do both being on 3rd shift. Last year we had my oldest and my father in law to pick him up. Well this year my father in law said he WILL NOT pick him up anymore and I don't trust my teen to be counted on daily. At the new house a bus will pick him up and drop him off but he must change schools. I left out he has type 1 diabetes and the woman at his current school cares for him in a way that you could not believe.
After dropping him off today and seeing all the teachers say hello with their hugs and how many students saying hello, it's making this even harder to decide what to do.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how and where we might find someone we could hire to shuttle him from school? Watch him for a little bit if needed? Where can you find trustworthy people outside your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM

76 posts, read 122,073 times
Maybe put the word out at the school, that is probably your best option. Let the front desk know you are looking for family(s) that possibly live near enough to your new house that may be taking their kid(s) to school and are near enough that it is not a huge burden.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
Maybe put the word out at the school, that is probably your best option. Let the front desk know you are looking for family(s) that possibly live near enough to your new house that may be taking their kid(s) to school and are near enough that it is not a huge burden.
We have talked to them about it and they are keeping an eye out for us. But the fact he is diabetic scares the hell out of some people.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Church is usually the best place.

You may find a college student who has late classes or can you can work around his or her schedule. Our daughter used to go early in the morning and wake up two kids, get them dressed and to school before she headed off to her college classes. However they paid her like $10 a day and she ultimately decided that it was not worth getting up at 5:30 each morning for $10 a day, plus they kept asking her to do more and more (i.e. take the trash out while you are getting them ready, load/unload the dishwasher, drop off our rented movies on the way to drive them to school, "can you bring some milk this morning, we are out", etc.). Although it was all local, she was using a little bit of gas, and it just was not worth it. To them $50 a week for 1 hour a day seemed like a lot of money. To her it was not worth it in the long term. Since she had to be up in time to eat, shower and get over there, get them up and ready and drive them to school. Plus the kids were snotty little cretins and treated her like you see snobs treating servants in some movies. She did stay with them all semester because she felt bad about possibly leaving them in the lurch, but she was really angry by the end of the semester and wanted to just tell them to stick it. Not all college kids woudl do this, and you could get left suddenly with no means to deal with this issue while you look for someone else.

Suggestions when you find someone:

1. Pay them well.

2. Treat them well, especially if you cannot afford to pay them all that well.

3. Make sure that your kids are respectful to them. (Do not rely on your kid's say so for this).

4. If possible try to find some added benefit to offer them that might be an added perk. For example, when we have college kids watch our pets, we might allow them to use our pool while we are gone (pursuant to rules), borrow a canoe, use our very fast cable internet where they have mega slow DSL at home, anything can be a little plus and cost you nothing, but it could make a difference in keeping them.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times
I know there is one daycare center in my area that offers before & after school daycare and has their own shuttle to take kids to/pick them up from the local schools. I would start with looking up the licensed daycares in your area and if needed, contact them to find out what they offer.

Do you know someone that does live in the school district who would be willing to let their house be a bus stop? Maybe if your father in law didn't have to take him all the way to school he would be more willing?

Best wishes.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Check with the nurses at your Dr's office and maybe your pharmacist where you get his supplies. Maybe they know an aspiring nursing student or other trustworthy person not afraid of the medical part. I do understand that a lot of people would be worried about liability though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan