Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

I realized not too long ago that its been over 20 years since I left Michigan to live in other states and other countries......but..... I still call Michigan my home. I miss the familiarity of knowing what going "up north" or "to the thumb" means and how to pronounce Charlevoix, Mackanac, Cadieux and all the other french heritage terms. I miss asking for a "pop" instead of a "soda" and not having to explain what a "Coney dog", a "Paczki" or a "Pasty" is. I miss the state-wide excitement of seeing the leaves start to change in the fall and seeing the first crocus pop up in spring. More than anything, I miss the pride that Michiganders always show. No matter how other areas of the country have bashed Michigan and Detroit, people that grew up there always hold up their heads, look you straight in the eye and say "I'm from Michigan". No apologies or excuses needed. That tells a lot about a place.

What do I miss most about Michigan...I miss my home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
It's a great place to be from, but as an adult making an effort at gainful employment, there are a lot better options out of state. Unfortunately.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,082,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Yeah, I sometimes wake up grumpy. Other times, I let her sleep in.
Now thats funny!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
It's a great place to be from, but as an adult making an effort at gainful employment, there are a lot better options out of state. Unfortunately.

Such as? I moved to Michigan due to lack of jobs in Ohio.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM

275 posts, read 441,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I'm also moving back to Michigan as the result of a job opportunity.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Coney dogs. Chili-cheese fries. Lou's Deli in Oak Park. Fragels. Hungry Howie's Pizza.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I work in high tech.

Seattle/Redmond, WA
RTP, North Carolina
Austin, TX
Silicon Valley, CA

And a hundred other places.

Your mistake was going to Ohio in the first place. Not much difference from MI.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM

275 posts, read 441,706 times
A.H. I have to say, you confuse me. At least from your posts, it seems that you have considerable disdain for Michigan. I think it's safe to say that you have no plans for moving to Michigan. Yet, you are a constant presence on a forum about...Michigan.

To each his own...it's a free country...whatever floats your boat...pick your own cliche. Why is this forum of such interest to you?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
A.H. I have to say, you confuse me. At least from your posts, it seems that you have considerable disdain for Michigan. I think it's safe to say that you have no plans for moving to Michigan. Yet, you are a constant presence on a forum about...Michigan.

To each his own...it's a free country...whatever floats your boat...pick your own cliche. Why is this forum of such interest to you?
Legitimate question. I was born and raised in MI, and I go back with some degree of frequency. My choice of news is the Freep. I'm a diehard Tigers fan. I post to CD forums where I have resided. I have no disdain for Michigan...it has its problems, worse than most places, but it's a good place to be from. The "Midwestern work ethic" has served me well, but I'd never live there in 100 years. That said, I know enough about the state to offer legitimate advice as well as legitimate criticism, though clearly Michiganders have developed a very thin skin when it comes to any sort of criticism.

My post "It's a great place to be from, but as an adult making an effort at gainful employment, there are a lot better options out of state. Unfortunately." should pretty well explain my feelings for the state.

The facts speak for themselves...MI lost population the last 10 years. Many people probably don't WANT to leave but the lack of employment opportunities elsewhere make the move a no-brainer.

MI has to come up with a way attract people like me. Until they do...the exodus will continue.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 03-25-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The facts speak for themselves...MI lost population the last 10 years. Many people probably don't WANT to leave but the lack of employment opportunities elsewhere make the move a no-brainer.

MI has to come up with a way attract people like me. Until they do...the exodus will continue.
Actually Michigan is one of the most populated of all the cold and snowy states. The only reason for this was the auto industry, and now we are just gradually returning to where we should really be. I suspect we will lose quite a bit more people, but still stay one of the more populated northern states. There is only so much a state with our climate can do to attract people because most people want to live where its warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan