Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 27,716 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Michigan in a town called Belding. I lived there from about the 2nd grade until I completed high school and went into the Air Force.

I miss that wonderful small town I grew up in. Kids were in their own kingdom back then. We still played outside until it got dark and made up our own games and used sticks as toy guns. By 10 years old we could walk to the far ends of the town without fear of being harmed. We had Freedom! We could make up our own adventures in the trees and in the pockets of nature surrounding the town.

I miss the calm smile of people and going into the grocery store and it not being crowded; I miss knowing most of the folks you run into, I miss knowing who their children are....

I miss riding dirtbikes in the old ancient trails along the river and stopping in wonder thinking that Native Americans must have walked the same trails.

I miss wonderful Lake Michigan. Big like the ocean but without sharks! Beautiful.

I miss the laid back atmosphere in the small towns and how you are not judged by your possesions or how big and fancy your house or car is.

I miss the water, water everywhere- the streams, ponds and lakes.

I love you Michigan.
[mod cut-- advertising not permitted in the forums]
- Shannon

Last edited by observer53; 02-07-2011 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
Hey man, props for not forgetting where you came from.

I wonder which was more important to your success -- growing up in a place where kids could safely make their own fun, or self-help guru crapola? Reflect on it, brother. And come on back home whenever you're ready.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Looks like this post and several others are nothing more than an effort to post links to an MLM website, heck you posted a "Japan Welcome Site" post just now too, you're on a roll...

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post17757418

Reported as a spammer.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,818 times
The bone chilling cold, the falling home prices, the lack of good job's, snow up to your crack by dec. and winters that last 6 months. Yep if I were poor I would much rather be poor and warm than poor and cold. South is best.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabuddha View Post
The bone chilling cold, the falling home prices, the lack of good job's, snow up to your crack by dec. and winters that last 6 months. Yep if I were poor I would much rather be poor and warm than poor and cold. South is best.
Ever smell a homeless man after he's been baking in the Georgia heat all day? Oh, maybe you have.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Ever smell a homeless man after he's been baking in the Georgia heat all day? Oh, maybe you have.
If the dude spent half as much time looking for a job as he does posting on the Michigan forums he probably wouldnt be homeless...well now that I think about it.. I see why he probably is.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM

18 posts, read 29,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabuddha View Post
Yes, and hotter than the face of the sun temps, lack of distinctive seasons, continuing racism, ridiculously high crime rates (ALL over, not just in large cities), people still using terms like "damn yankees"-yes, the south...soooo much better... Can't wait to get the heck out of NC and head home to Northern Michigan!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smifenuf View Post
I grew up in Michigan in a town called Belding.
My hometown was the next city to the north of there. Belding was our arch rival (Go Yellowjackets!) ....... but I can't say anything bad about Belding because that's where two of my grandmothers lived

Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
My hometown was the next city to the north of there. Belding was our arch rival (Go Yellowjackets!) ....... but I can't say anything bad about Belding because that's where two of my grandmothers lived
Excuse my geography fail but I had to google Belding. For some reason I cant recall that on maps or travels.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
And you're a moderator? Rather snippy childish response, yah?

I don't miss the weather, I don't miss the crashing home prices and the fluctuations of the Detroit area job market, which stubbornly refuses to significantly diversity beyond the automotive industry. It's a pretty area near the lakes and up north, but most of the country has pretty areas. You gotta be able to live and have a job and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan