Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM

521 posts, read 869,894 times

Advertisements

Its getting worse,cars get in the left passing lanes ( I-75 bet- flint and saginaw)will not move over.Ive seen a trend of young females-brothers and others slouched down on the cell phone,totaly oblivious of 10 cars on their ass doin 60mph or grampa in his own world slowing the flow of traffic.Its very easy to spot ,youll see 10 cars in left lane bunched up and no one in front of the lead car and the other nine drivers flippin off the the car in front . the the damn cops should enforce this rather than sitting radar trying to pinch you for cheap 10 over ticket.this creates tailgating and road rage potential.Wake up people be polite and move over its not your road and i beleive its the law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Its getting worse,cars get in the left passing lanes ( I-75 bet- flint and saginaw)will not move over.Ive seen a trend of young females-brothers and others slouched down on the cell phone,totaly oblivious of 10 cars on their ass doin 60mph or grampa in his own world slowing the flow of traffic.Its very easy to spot ,youll see 10 cars in left lane bunched up and no one in front of the lead car and the other nine drivers flippin off the the car in front . the the damn cops should enforce this rather than sitting radar trying to pinch you for cheap 10 over ticket.this creates tailgating and road rage potential.Wake up people be polite and move over its not your road and i beleive its the law
State Police use to ticket people for staying in the left lane on I-96 between Brighton and East Lansing all the time (that was a while ago, when it was just two lanes on each side). Maybe budget cuts, or too many lawmakers getting pulled over, changed their procedure.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM

67 posts, read 343,910 times
Quote:
Ive seen a trend of young females-brothers and others slouched down on the cell phone,\
is this code for black people?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
is this code for black people?
I wondered that myself.

Anyhow OP, if speed lmit signs don't stop people from going a "cheap 10 mph" over the speed limit, what makes you think signs will stop people from hanging out in the left lane?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Here is what MCL 257.634 has about lane driving.

If the road has 2 or more lanes in one direction, vehicles shall be driven in the extreme right-hand lane. If all lanes are occupied by vehicles moving in substantially continuous lanes of traffic then a driver can use any lane available. A driver may also use the left lane for a reasonable distance when preparing for a left turn.

MCL 257.642 gives further direction and states in part, "…Upon a roadway with 4 or more lanes which provides for 2-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall be driven within the extreme right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing, but shall not cross the center line of the roadway except where making a left turn

Last edited by plannine; 02-11-2011 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
This is the case on every freeway in the country, not just on I-75 between Saginaw and Flint. It's the price we pay for traveling on freeways, and I think that a lot of people don't do it intentionally but honestly don't know that the left lane is designed to be a passing lane only. "Grampa in his own little world" didn't learn about freeways in drivers ed, because there weren't any when he learned to drive. In fact, there may not have even been drivers ed when he learned to drive!

It's always going to be a problem, even for those who know to use the left lane for a passing lane, because some of us, when passing people in the right lane, still aren't willing to drive 90 mph, and then people apparently like you ride up on our tail because we are only willing to exceed the speed limit by roughly 10 mph to pass. Where do you have to be that's so desperately important that you become a menace on the roads, anyway? Slow down, you'll still get there faster than if you'd taken surface streets, right?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
The money spent on installing the signs in this economy and for something that would be ineffective.....not good sense.

Though it might create a few temp jobs.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
Tickets are the only thing that will change a persons driving habits. tickets also boost the general fund so I am suprized they do not make more use of it.

I do so hate thoise who tail gate on two lane roads with no intentions of ever passing.
US 2 is awful in the summer when people are towing travel trailers and during the days before and just after deer season. I try to drive it at night.

Al

Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 AM

521 posts, read 869,894 times
charlesbarkley that was terrible-although brothers has many meanings look it up in a dictionary, please take your racial insecurities to another post. canudigit why are you assuming i want to go 90 mph,im stuck in the left lane behind you doing 60mph cause you wont use common sense and move over and let people pass.were talking about courtesy using the roads not how fast i have to get somwhere

Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
charlesbarkley that was terrible-although brothers has many meanings look it up in a dictionary, please take your racial insecurities to another post. canudigit why are you assuming i want to go 90 mph,im stuck in the left lane behind you doing 60mph cause you wont use common sense and move over and let people pass.were talking about courtesy using the roads not how fast i have to get somwhere
And it's really downright dangerous to slug along in the fast lane where others commonly, regularly move along at 80mph. We wont talk about our working drivers in Semi's.

Really, some need to spend an afternoon on the Autobahn to see what happens if you fall asleep in the fast lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan