Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times

Advertisements

I will be staying in this state park this summer for about 10 days. Has anyone camped there before and is it nice? shady sites? nice beach area? Is there a camp store? Any info would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Excellent park though busy. Plenty of shady sites up on the hill and sites near the beach. We loved it.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
I worked there for a summer as the state park Explorer Guide (best summer job ever!).....Beach side is very popular and hard to get if you don't book early...the spots on the side of the loop closer to the road in the beach area are nice and shady too..., they go fast...up by the bunkhouse is nice and in the woods.....near beautiful hiking trails and the pond (for wildlife viewing and fun hikes).....the cabins are secluded and very popular....
right in the middle of the park is some non-park property with a store....just before you head down the beautiful drive to the park there is a store as well!...

I LOVE wilderness state park any other questions??

if you get tired of the beach right along the campground...the day use beach is nice...but everyone forgets about the PERFECT sand dunes area on the south side of the point....this is my favorite swim spot of all time....it is near cross village and bliss...but part of the park.....

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
This is a very nice woodsy park. We stayed here a few years ago and really liked it. We stayed in the loop across the road away from the water, but its an easy walk to the beach...and its a very nice beach. The only thing I wasnt crazy about was the sites are pretty close together. One awesome thing we did was walk the trail for about a mile or so east, cut across the road, and walked back to the campground along the beach...it was beautiful and you can see the bridge most of the way....probably one of the most memorable things we did that summer. like the previous poster said, the drive to the park is awesome and beautiful. This is one of our top 5-6 places we have stayed since we have started camping 6 years ago. One of the weirdest things also happened at this campground. My wife and I were awaken by what sounded like indian drums about 1am. They seemed to get closer then fade away...only to get closer again. My wife is part indian, and after she woke having a hard time breathing...she had to go to the after hours clinic in St. Ignus. This is where she learned she had asthma. She insisted on driving herself since we also had our kids sleeping and didnt want to wake them, so I laid there after she left waiting for her to call me. Soon after, around 2am...I heard the drums again and seen a shadow pass by the window I was near in the bedroom of our rv. I quickly looked out, but there was nothing. My wife called several times on the way saying how beautiful it was and all the animals she was seeing at this early hour. Turns out, there are several weird stories about that area, including large prints from what they say was bigfoot seen about 1/2 east of the campground just last year.

Last edited by michmoldman; 02-13-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Thank you everyone for the helpful information. Im reading nothing but positve responses, that makes me feel good about our pick. Ive never been in that park, but we wanted to be near the straights so we picked it solely for its location. I cant wait to get the trailer out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan