Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM

61 posts, read 112,716 times

Advertisements

UP is hubby's sprritual home and dream location. He has just started his new job in Munising for a week. I'll be finishing my teaching term and join him in a month too. We'll be staying in Munising for 6 months or so and meanwhile look for a house/building lot in Marquette area. I've got some great info on this forum. I feel very comfortable with the people here and that makes me more looking forward to moving to UP and meeting the yoopers. :-) I still have a few questions about UP and would welcome your input.

1, Why is UP called "God's country"?

2, What do people do when outdoor activities are not a pleasant option? (For example in Nov or April when snow melt but still coldoutside, or in my case, I'm pregnant.)

3, What is the average baby sitting cost?

4, Hubby's birthday is end of March and it's going to be his first birthday as a real yooper(He's been a yooper by heart and soul for a long time). He indicated a while ago that he wanted a deer cleaning kit. Any suggestions where to get a good one at reasonable price and what kind? I googled and there are so many of them ranging huge in price. Also, any suggestions to make his birthday a true "yooper" birthday? Such as a nice yooper restaurant to dine, activities... I really want to make this special for him, because becoming a true yooper is like a rebirth to him.

5, How do people save on living expenses?
The rumor has it that the grocery, gas, and lots of general households items are a bit more expensive than downstate because of the shipping cost. Also, I heard the stores accept manufacture coupons but won't double them. The area I currently live has quite a few big grocery stores and they all double manufacture coupons up to one dollar. One grocey store even double coupons that said "do not double", and accept expired coupons. That definitely saves a lot on grocery! Also, the many big stores such as joanns, macies, kholes, JC pennys constanly have sales and coupons to use.

Another way that I save money currently is by shopping at craigslist or flea market or mom-to-mom sales. The items on UP craigslist are very limited in quantity, and it seems they are more expensive and less quality than I would expect in downstate. (What I searched for most was furniture. ) I also didn't find any info about mom to mom sales in the Marquette area.

With average income lower, and grocery cost higher, and less chocies, I really wonder how you save. Suggestions and advice are really appreciated. (could be couponing policies in stores, places to shop, second hand good markets,etc.)

6. Someone told me that lots of ppl know one another since young, and though they are polite and friendly with newcomers, it could take quite some time and effort to feel not being an outsider. Well, what's your experience on that?

Thanks and enjoy the snow!

Last edited by dreamsailor; 02-13-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times
First, Welcome to the area

1. It's called "God's Country" because the land/scenery is so beautiful up here

2. Well in the Marquette area there are various indoor events you can take part of. Whether it be through the University, the library, the Co-op, some of the art galleries. People walk indoors at the Dome. There are a few coffee shops to sit, relax, visit in. I can't help you with the Munising area.
As far as pregnancy...... my wife was very active outside in all seasons throughout all of her pregnancies so I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for exactly?

3. I have no idea, we've never used a babysitter before.

4. Stop into any sporting goods store in the area and ask the clerk in the hunting section for a recommendation for the cleaning kit. As for restaurants for his birthday.... you might try the Brownstone Inn which is located between Munising and Marquette (by Autrain). Here's their link The Brownstone Inn - Bar & Restaurant

5. How to save?? Well we personally rarely buy processed foods in stores (we buy in bulk quantities and make everything from scratch). The things we do buy at the stores, I go online to the company websites and sign up for their coupons. Match the coupons to the sales (I never pay full price, wait for sales) and then stock up on a couple months worth of that item so I'll have enough to last 'til it goes on sale again. I'm not aware of any stores in the U.P. that doubles coupons (or even where I lived downstate) but perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
As for the big stores..... we have several of those you mentioned here in Marquette and several more that weren't mentioned.
We buy most things secondhand and to be quite honest..... I get most of it downstate. I know when all of the nicer subdivisions in the Grand Rapids area have their neighborhood yard sales. Both sets of our parents live in that area so during our favorite weekend sales we'll go down for a visits, let the grandparents have the kids during the mornings while we hit the sales.
However I have found several good deals at the local auctions up here.
This is who we get most of our bulk foods from Country Life Natural Foods We either stock up while visiting in the area (in-laws live near there) or they make delivery stops up here.

6. This is true of any rural area of the U.S. Many cities too. I've talked to people who have moved up here, then left within a couple years saying how unfriendly everyone is. I've also talked to people who can't say enough great positive things about the people up here.
As in many areas of life..... you'll get out of it, what you put in to it. If you have a positive attitude, you smile a lot and are friendly (and don't try to change people).... then you're going to make friends. If you are reserved, standoffish, or expect others to make the effort and come to you.... you're probably not going to be as successful.

Again, welcome to the area and good luck with everything!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM

56 posts, read 369,789 times
I lived in the U.P. for quite a few years. After many, many months of winter, one tended to become somewhat of a cynic-----at which point, many used to start saying that, "The U.P. was God's Country----because he (or she) wast the only one who wanted it." :-)

Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Thank you! I just heard that property tax is much cheaper than lower state. Well, I haven't checked out the exact amount yet, but that is going to be huge savings! Also, I also heard from my father-in-law yeterday that though the produce might be a little more expensive, they are higher quality. Glad to hear that!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
...this doesn't have much to do with the UP, but boy, I sure miss the roadside vegetable stands in N MI...I asked a man at one if he had any corn and he said no, but to hold on a minute..then he walked out to his field and picked some for me (sigh..). Now here I am in NE. You would think being in the middle of the prairie, there would be corn and veggies galore. Not so. The very few "farmers markets" type places I found had prices that were ridiculous. Apparently, it's like a status thing to live here and grow food for the farmer's market. Prices were astronomical.

Man, I miss MI, lol.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
Not to mention that the people in N MI were the kindest people- they went out of their way to help in any way that they could, and the ones I would meet were very friendly. Of course, I'm ridiculously outgoing, so maybe that helped it a little, lol

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM

I'm very looking forward to meeting the people and forming my own community. I've heard so much good things about people up north. I'm a very warm and friendly person too and my hubby think I won't have problem fit in. It's a great feeling to be able to give and love people without fear of being taken advantage of. When I lived in a big city occasionally my kindness and generosity was taken advantage of. I now live in countryside and people seem to compete to be nice to one another. It just feels great to have kind people around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Not to mention that the people in N MI were the kindest people- they went out of their way to help in any way that they could, and the ones I would meet were very friendly. Of course, I'm ridiculously outgoing, so maybe that helped it a little, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan