Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,359 times

Advertisements

Hello..... I just purchased a piece of property just a few miles north of Mancelona. Can anyone give me any info about the area? My husband and I would love to retire up there in a few years....... we currently live in the Detroit Metro area. Has the economy improved at all up there in the past year or so? Any new businesses forming ? How is the job market?? Thanks......... cant wait to live in paradise......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa66 View Post
Hello..... I just purchased a piece of property just a few miles north of Mancelona. Can anyone give me any info about the area? My husband and I would love to retire up there in a few years....... we currently live in the Detroit Metro area. Has the economy improved at all up there in the past year or so? Any new businesses forming ? How is the job market?? Thanks......... cant wait to live in paradise......
I think the answer to all your questions will not be good ones right now. But...that is a beautiful area..congrats! I think Traverse City economy is probably doing ok, and seems there is always new businesses closing and opening there.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,757 times
Worked in Gaylord and had many clients in Mancelona. Economy was awful. If you want to bag grocceries or flip burgers, you may be able to get a job the Glens or McDonalds in Mancelona. If not you'll have to drive to Gaylord to work at Walmart or Meijers.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your input.......... i work in veterinary medicine.......... im hopeful to find something veterinary related so we can move up there permanently. If people move up there , the stronger the economy will become....... i would love to be able to support the local businesses. Ah.... dreams maybe...... im just so tired of the congestion, crime and high cost of living the Detroit area offers. One day, i will be a Mancelona resident.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Well be careful what you wish for. With northern Michigan, it never had a great economy even when the economy was good. There isn't a major industry up there. It's all service area jobs and retirees.

I'm not sure you chose the right Detroit area. Where I live my crime rate is lower than almost any northern Michigan community. It terms of cost of living, property taxes are lower up north, but it cost more to truck goods up there so gas ranges from 10-20 cents a gallon higher, groceries are higher, and merchandise at Walmart is higher. In fact my dad loves chocolate milk I have to buy a couple gallons at Kroger and bring it to him since it's $4 up there. Heating bills are also more expensive and water (If you don't live on a well) is more expensive.

Finally, why did you pick Mancelona of all places?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM

well Scolls, I like the rolling hills of the west side of the state ........ my husband and i Kayak regularly in nice weather and i found an affordable place near a few lakes. I just like the area......
I live in Berkley and Work in Huntington Woods...... I understand food and milk and gas will be slightly higher....... but i am so very tired of having a neighbor ten feet away....... my five acres will feel very roomy and nice. We are planning a large garden and this piece of property in particular is perfect for horses....... which i plan to one day own.
My taxes here in Berkley are crazy high in my opinion......... and to be honest...... crime here is steadily increasing. I just dont feel as comfortable here anymore. I need wide open spaces......
So, heres hoping i can find a job in my field up there.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Wow crime doesn't get any better up north than Berkley. Where do you work in Huntington Woods?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 PM

I work for a private small animal practice Veterinarian. I know Berkley is not exactly Detroit..... but we have lived here since 1996 and the neighborhood has changed.
Also, not to change the subject but i had a slap in the face two years ago. As a healthy 42 year old in good shape it was a shock to me to have a massive heart attack while riding my bike in Huntington woods one night after work. Along i was riding with a girlfriend down Lincoln..... enjoying the winding road when all of a sudden riping chest pain stopped me in my tracks. My left main coronary artery ruptured...... i only survived because i was so close to Royal Oak Beaumont...... they called the chief of cardiac surgery in to do my open heart surgery... and im very lucky to be alive. In a nutshell....... the property my husband and i talked about buying for years and put off for one reason or another..... finally happened. We look at things differently now. My kids went to Berkley Schools and the neighborhood parents have all discussed the change in the district. A kid was stabbed two years ago on Coolidge Hwy. while walking home from school. My bank on Greenfield and twelve mile was robbed this fall............ things are just changing.... Huntington woods is beautiful...... nice residents..... lovely homes which i visit daily with my Dr Vet but i cant afford Huntington Woods... and i feel like the bad element is just south of eleven mile. Southfield doesnt look that hot either honestly. Anyway, im running long here, but i see youre from HW and i hope youre happy. I hope the neighborhood stays beautiful.
There are no wide open spaces in Berkley..... I need a change. And so does my damaged Heart. Lisa

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,718 times
I was born/raised in Bloomfield Hills and then moved to Mancelona . . . culture shock to say the least. As soon as possible, we moved to Traverse City. Mancelona currently is listed as a very deprived area, according to the State of Michigan County Health Statistics. If you need any major healthcare services you will need to go to Traverse City (approx 40 miles away) which can be treacherous during the winter. The positive . . .Munson Hospital is rated as a hospital in the Top 50 in the US. They have a phenomenal reputation for the care and expertise they give their patients. Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,542 times
I live in Kalkaska and get into Mancelona every few months. I have no real reason to go there although I did work there several years ago. It is a nice community, very involved in their schools. As far as jobs go, manufacturing has all but left the area. I am not sure if there is a vet in Mancy. We do have one, maybe two here. Traverse City actually has a 24/7 pet emergency center. It's one heck of a drive in the winter into TC, no matter if you come through Kalkaska via US 131 then to M-72 W or if you take Plum Valley Rd to Rapid City Rd and then to M-72. The drive into Gaylord isn't much better.

As far as your health issues, the Kalkaska Memorial Health Center (managed by Munson) has a top notch heart health care program, especially for women. You can check them out here:

Kalkaska Memorial Health Center Clinical Services (http://www.munsonhealthcare.org/locations/kmhc/clinical_svcs/kmhc_clinical_svcs.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan