Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

I'm not one to try and rat someone out or try to get them in trouble. But this guy has to do something about his car.

At least once a week ( sometimes more) I get stuck behind this guy who's car has some serious exhaust issues. I don't even have to see him and I know he is front of me. If I catch up to him the vapors are so strong they give me a headache driving behind him. That's no BS either, it's THAT BAD. He is in front of my for almost 1/2 my trip home and I can't stand it anymore. Tonight I turned off from behind him and took a different ( much longer) route. He drives what looks like an old police car with dual exhaust on it and it spews the worst exhaust I have ever smelled. I'm not talking the rotten egg stink, it's like unburned fuel, carbon, strong kind of stuff like if you have a leak in your pipe right under you in your own car.
Somehow this guy has to get this thing fixed. I've spent many weekends at motocross tracks with 2 stroke engines running all day and even they don't come close to this guy. Any idea's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Can you report him? Sure, go ahead. Let us know what happens.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
I guess I left that out. If it's possible how and who would I contact?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Contact the local police on a non-emergency number.

Quote:
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.

Sec. 707.
(1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.
(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1969, Act 134, Imd. Eff. June 1, 1970 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 44, Imd. Eff. Mar. 17, 1976 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Michigan Legislature - Section 257.707

Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I know folks have called and reported excessive smoke from diesels. Not sure if its law enforcement of EPA?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Enforcement is difficult and therefore rarely done.

In part it depends on what the substance is. If he has a leaky head gasket and it is steam comoing out, he is not violating anything. If the car is burning oil, he may be cited. If it is just running rich, I am not sure. The worst smell that I have ever encountered is a car that is bruning transmission fluid. If that is what it is, just wait. His car will not be running much longer. It will dies long before they could catch him, test the exhaust, cite him and prosecute him.

Funny, that excerpt is all about mufflers. There must be cone that covers converters, O2 sensors, etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, that excerpt is all about mufflers. There must be cone that covers converters, O2 sensors, etc.
I think that the law would cover all systems on the car. Obvious limitation of having the law written by a lawyer and not an auto engineer/mechanic. Mufflers muffle noise, not smoke.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think that the law would cover all systems on the car. Obvious limitation of having the law written by a lawyer and not an auto engineer/mechanic. Mufflers muffle noise, not smoke.

There must be another law.

Some lawyers are competent around cars. I can rebuild an engine, do a brake job, change out tie rod ends and even manage a tune up. However, I mostly work on older cars. New cars require too many specialty tools and computer equipment. While it is easy to change out a computer module, figuring out which one is malfunctioning is beyond my tools and knowlege.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I know folks have called and reported excessive smoke from diesels. Not sure if its law enforcement of EPA?
That's like handing out speeding tickets at the Daytona 500.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There must be another law.

Some lawyers are competent around cars. I can rebuild an engine, do a brake job, change out tie rod ends and even manage a tune up. However, I mostly work on older cars. New cars require too many specialty tools and computer equipment. While it is easy to change out a computer module, figuring out which one is malfunctioning is beyond my tools and knowlege.
"even manage a tune-up"

No kidding. I can build a race engine (and have, still enjoy doing that) but this new stuff.....I'm sure there's an engine in there but I sure cant find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan