Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Interested in knowing if the public think cougars are in Michigan: Yes or No
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times

Advertisements

My neighbor says he saw one just down the road from us. It was night and then another neighbor makes the same claim. This was near one of the cross roads close to the woods. These guys are big hunters. I doubt they get confused on what the bigger animals look like. Now has anyone seen the infamous Michigan "Dog Man?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
I had a cougar attack about 2.5 months ago. The cougar was slender, beautiful, loved wine, and was very, uhm, "touchy-feely." (Unfortunately, her personality is rather uptight otherwise.) Oh, and did I say she was beautiful? It was in Kentucky.

Oh, wait, this is the Michigan forum... (I knew that but the title caught my attention. )

I would think that with 5.4 million or so people in Metro Detroit alone that there would be plenty of cougars there. And with Michigan being a rural state especially the farther north you go, the actual feline cougars probably are making a real comeback. Much like mountain lions and bears are gradually making a comeback here in Kentucky.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I've been hearing these rumors for years. They don't exist -- at least not in Michigan.

The DNR has confirmed there is a population of cougars in the UP. The federal goverment warns visitors of sleeping bear sand dunes in NW lower Michigan of a cougar presence. Cougars exist in all upper midwest states now. They are reclaiming their old range. Your state of Minnesota has them too, probably has more of them than we do at that.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Now I wonder.....

We have a young Treeing Walker Coon hound.

He ran almost twelve miles a few days ago and would NOT stop.

Luckily he was wearing a GPS tracking collar.

Maybe he did pick up a hot sent???

Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Quote:
I would think that with 5.4 million or so people in Metro Detroit alone that there would be plenty of cougars there. And with Michigan being a rural state especially the farther north you go, the actual feline cougars probably are making a real comeback. Much like mountain lions and bears are gradually making a comeback here in Kentucky.
Right, metro Detroit has nearly half of the state population. I think the UP only contains about 5 percent of the state population. From my readings, and comments on this thread I am convinced that cougars are in Michigan but not recognized by the DNR.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Another article: Does This Photo Show A Cougar In Pinconning? - News Story - WNEM Saginaw

RAndomly I came into reading about the gray wolf population. According to an article and wiki the DNR does acknowledge the existence in both UP and LP ( I saw one myself before in mid Michigan), though I am surprised because I didn't know that wolves didn't exist in a lot of the western US.
Wolf Pup Captured and Released in Michigan's Lower Peninsula
Gray wolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://articles.petoskeynews.com/201...eitch_28538168
Those that are concern about cougars I question on which is more dangerous, though just from my readings it seems like the cougar population is more widespeared.

Last edited by timeofseasons; 02-20-2011 at 01:59 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Another article: Does This Photo Show A Cougar In Pinconning? - News Story - WNEM Saginaw

RAndomly I came into reading about the gray wolf population. According to an article and wiki the DNR does acknowledge the existence in both UP and LP ( I saw one myself before in mid Michigan), though I am surprised because I didn't know that wolves didn't exist in a lot of the western US.
Wolf Pup Captured and Released in Michigan's Lower Peninsula
Gray wolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DNRE Gray Wolf Study - Petoskey News
Those that are concern about cougars I question on which is more dangerous, though just from my readings it seems like the cougar population is more widespeared.
Now, I REALLY wonder. We are 14 miles west of Pinconning or, 8 miles west of the sighting.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM

413 posts, read 938,089 times
If your best description is to say it's "bigger than a fox", chances are it was a bobcat. Cougars are BIG. Really, really big! Think the size of a lion or a tiger, if you've ever been close enough to see how big one of those is up close.

That being said, I have no doubt there are cougars/mountain lions/pumas/whatever you want to call them in Michigan. I have my doubts they're in the southern lower. They're secretive animals, and for the most part shy away from humans.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 PM

150 posts, read 405,552 times
I don't know about any of Michigan, but our DNR here in Minnesota (Northern) released 12 cougars to take care of the CWD deer here. But they've made their way down to southern MN and Western WI.

I heard one crying in our back woods here in the Chippewa National Forest early one evening when I was putting our Alaskan Malamutes in for the night. Scary!

Susie

Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM

413 posts, read 938,089 times
I remember reading a study about the range of cougars. One was tagged in Minnesota, and recaptured in Missouri, over 500 miles away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan