Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM

749 posts, read 2,430,565 times

Advertisements

As far as MI goes, I don't think it will have much of a impact. I recall many businesses being profiled on the news when gas what as all time highs back in 09 and it was actually helping them, e.g. folks that otherwise would have went to KY or Tennessee to visit caves we're staying in MI and discovering all that MI has to offer.

Sure MI might lose some out of state tourists, but they're also keeping people home and in the long run it's a wash.....no foul, no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,266,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
As far as MI goes, I don't think it will have much of a impact. I recall many businesses being profiled on the news when gas what as all time highs back in 09 and it was actually helping them, e.g. folks that otherwise would have went to KY or Tennessee to visit caves we're staying in MI and discovering all that MI has to offer.

Sure MI might lose some out of state tourists, but they're also keeping people home and in the long run it's a wash.....no foul, no harm.
The unemployed don't travel, they vacation in their homes.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM

485 posts, read 963,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
How did this discussion switch to abortion?

Let us not forget that the oil industry is HEAVILY subsidized. The "true" cost of a gallon of gasoline is already somewhere between $7 - $9/gallon, when you take out the $Billions that are given to domestic oil producers so they can compete with overseas oil producers. Imagine how much differently we'd be living if gas prices were allowed to "float" with the global market.
Is that really true? I'm not saying you are fabricating but I'm curious as to the nuts and bolts of how we actually subsidize. I realize gas is more expensive in other countries but, why? You look at spot gas prices on the market and you see the price/barrel but also a price/unleaded gallon which is now about $2.80 or something (add on taxes and a little profit for stations and we get the actual price at the pump). Is that actually a subsidized price?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,792,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Is that really true? I'm not saying you are fabricating but I'm curious as to the nuts and bolts of how we actually subsidize. I realize gas is more expensive in other countries but, why? You look at spot gas prices on the market and you see the price/barrel but also a price/unleaded gallon which is now about $2.80 or something (add on taxes and a little profit for stations and we get the actual price at the pump). Is that actually a subsidized price?
Before oil even hits the market, the production costs are heavily subsidized (so the prices don't reflect the true cost of exploration, drilling, refining).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html
Oil Subsidies - Oil companies have a rich history of U.S. subsidies - Los Angeles Times

Google

Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
In other words, the world is going to experience Malthusian problems. Perhaps one solution is to focus on promoting birth control and population reduction?
The population of Americans is already stable, the extremely high population growth rate of the USA is all due to massive immigration and the very high birth rates of immigrants. It's not Americans having huge families. We're the soclal safety net for those countries with Malthusian problems, we feed and house their excess people.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 AM

14,173 posts, read 22,630,239 times
Personally, I shudder at the thought of $6 per gallon gas. We already know that $4 per gallon will break the economy's back like it did in 2008, but I think $5 per gallon will be the real flashpoint. That's when we'll get the civil unrest to go with the economic collapse.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,906,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Personally, I shudder at the thought of $6 per gallon gas. We already know that $4 per gallon will break the economy's back like it did in 2008, but I think $5 per gallon will be the real flashpoint. That's when we'll get the civil unrest to go with the economic collapse.
Here in outstate Michigan we have Wal-Mart and other low-wage workers driving 30, 40, 50 miles one-way to work. Obviously this will impact them badly.
BTW Big Oil (and others) ARE subsidized by us and are multinationals to boot!
Why should multi-billion-dollar companies pay zero taxes when we are being asked to tighten our belts?
Why are gas prices increasing during a time of low demand?
Wonk Room » Exxon Paid Zero U.S. Income Tax In 2009, While Big Oil Defends Billions In Senseless Tax Subsidies

Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 AM

362 posts, read 693,860 times
We also have single moms working at fast food resturants quiting their job because they can not afford $3.35 gas for the car, rent and food for the kids.
You don't need to drive to the mail box to get your welfare checks.

Al

Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM

76 posts, read 121,711 times
Time to get out the locking gas cap again

Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,906,158 times
We are paying Big Oil for the privilege of being gouged!
In case anyone's wondering how they get away with it, they and the banks have enough economic power to shut this country down if they so desire.
All they have to do is let our govt know it.
Remember, being multinationals, the U.S. is only a part of their market. They can prosper without us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan