Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We are paying Big Oil for the privilege of being gouged!
In case anyone's wondering how they get away with it, they and the banks have enough economic power to shut this country down if they so desire.
All they have to do is let our govt know it.
Remember, being multinationals, the U.S. is only a part of their market. They can prosper without us.
Just playing devil's advocate here, because I do NOT like the idea of subsidizing big oil companies (which I wasn't really aware that we were doing.)

If subsidizing oil means that our prices are lower than in the rest of the world, then you can't really say we are "paying for the privilege of being gouged." Because even though prices are relatively high by our standards, we are still paying way less than in places like Europe. We've been enjoying cheap gas for years and years. So we ARE benefiting from the oil subsidies. Right? Again, not saying I agree with it. But you can't say that we're giving them our money and getting nothing in return, because it's not technically true. We save money at the pump.

Again... don't point out the reasons that oil subsidies are bad!! I am already aware of them. Just trying to reign in the crazy statements like "they take our money and then screw us and we get nothing!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Arguer, first you weren't aware of subsidies, and then you were.
Some aren't aware of them or they think they're ok.
NationalJournal.com - Ex-Shell CEO Says Big Oil Can Live Without Subsidies - Friday, February 11, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html
I want to end subsidies for people who don't need them, even if you think it's better they don't.
GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News
I want huge corporations and other profitable companies to pay U.S. taxes along with the rest of us.
BTW "gouging" means we may be paying more than what market forces dictate.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-26-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Arguer, first you weren't aware of subsidies, and then you were.
Some aren't aware of them or they think they're ok.
NationalJournal.com - Ex-Shell CEO Says Big Oil Can Live Without Subsidies - Friday, February 11, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html
I want to end subsidies for people who don't need them, even if you think it's better they don't.
GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News
I want huge corporations and other profitable companies to pay U.S. taxes along with the rest of us.
BTW "gouging" means we may be paying more than what market forces dictate.
Please Google the phrase "playing Devil's advocate." I already agree with you. I'm just pointing out that we do get SOMETHING in return for oil subsidies. Lower prices.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Please Google the phrase "playing Devil's advocate." I already agree with you. I'm just pointing out that we do get SOMETHING in return for oil subsidies. Lower prices.
Mich, my response WAS to the "devil's advocate" and others.
Notice sentence #2: "Some aren't aware..." I had them in mind for my post.
It gave me an excuse to post some links (there are more but I wanted to keep it short)
I notice some others were questioning the EXISTENCE of subsidies, which is mind boggling to me. Where would people get the idea there are A) no subsidies or B) that the oil companies are "ours" in any way, shape or form. Could it be a corporate-owned "news" media which pumps out commercials posing as news?
I stand behind my statement of being gouged. As long as there's nothing to prevent it, it will be done.
But the OP was about Michigan. Low-wage workers would be impacted. Assuming a 30mpg car traveling 30 miles to a job comes to $13 round trip.
$65 weekly, $260 monthly vs $130 now. An extra $130 per mo. And this is just to work - nothing else.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-27-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 AM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
I know a young lady wyho works at a low wage job and her car is an older sub compact one since a low wage job will not allow for a newer more fuel efficent one. She lives 8 miles from her job so she is spending over $65.00 a month for fuel just to get to work. She lives with her grandma and would have to live on the street if not for that with the high rents in the area.

Any way I watched a PBS program where they are useing E Col I to turn switch grass sugars into bio diesel. The narater said that it will really help the mid west farmers when they can sell a crop that is fairly easy to grow on less than ideal ground.

Al

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Mich, my response WAS to the "devil's advocate" and others.
Notice sentence #2: "Some aren't aware..." I had them in mind for my post.
It gave me an excuse to post some links (there are more but I wanted to keep it short)
I notice some others were questioning the EXISTENCE of subsidies, which is mind boggling to me. Where would people get the idea there are A) no subsidies or B) that the oil companies are "ours" in any way, shape or form. Could it be a corporate-owned "news" media which pumps out commercials posing as news?
I stand behind my statement of being gouged. As long as there's nothing to prevent it, it will be done.
But the OP was about Michigan. Low-wage workers would be impacted. Assuming a 30mpg car traveling 30 miles to a job comes to $13 round trip.
$65 weekly, $260 monthly vs $130 now. An extra $130 per mo. And this is just to work - nothing else.
How can we be getting "gouged" when we pay the lowest price anywhere on the planet for a gallon of gas? As M83 pointed out, at least we get lower prices for the subsidized gas.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 AM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
How can we be getting "gouged" when we pay the lowest price anywhere on the planet for a gallon of gas? As M83 pointed out, at least we get lower prices for the subsidized gas.
Well it looks like a lot of the world pays more for gas than we do, but we are nowhere near the lowest prices on the planet.

World Gas Prices By Country | Gasoline Petrol Price & Hybrid Sales

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Personally, I shudder at the thought of $6 per gallon gas. We already know that $4 per gallon will break the economy's back like it did in 2008, but I think $5 per gallon will be the real flashpoint. That's when we'll get the civil unrest to go with the economic collapse.
What's amazing is that even after the 2008 price spike, people continued to purchase gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks. I wonder how they'll feel about those purchases if gas goes up to $5/gallon. I shudder to think of what it would do to the Big Three.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
Time to get out the locking gas cap again
A few years ago, my wife suspected that someone was stealing gas from her Oldsmobile, but perhaps it was just a case of an older 140,000 mile car getting awful gas mileage.

Isn't it impossible to siphon gas out of newer vehicles? Aren't their tanks designed a little differently?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
Maybe, but today's thieves have ways that are a lot easier than screwing around with a siphon. I saw it on the news awhile back. Thanks to cordless tools and plastic tanks, it's a piece of cake to drill a hole in the tank and catch the gas in a portable container. Siphons are for law abiding citizens who want to transfer gas and not cause damage. Thieves don't care.

Maybe a good idea for a business would be fab and install a custom fitted skid plate to guard the tank. To protect from both thieves and road hazards. They already do it with some trucks just for off-roading, but as gas becomes more valuable, it might be worth it for cars too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan