Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Then don`t spread lies about the Michigan graveyard.Enough said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You do realize that your response makes zero sense in reply to the post you quoted right?

Show where I am posting lies about Michigan. Post up some direct quotes where I am posting a lie with a link back to those posts if you could.
Still waiting Pifler. Back-up your statement with a little proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post16608837

I got the info from this post and the post that I quoted in my previous post. You did misinterpret what I was saying in one part though. I did not say that you thought your SO was smarter, I am saying that you think he is not. You made mention how you make him look like a fool and such, and that you don't know if you can stay with a guy like that. (previous quoted post)

In the post here, you say that he thinks A2 is the greatest place. I guess I assumed that means he loved it. No?

I did not say MI seasons were prettier here than any other state. Just that they are pretty. And they are. Very. If you look with eyes that seek that beauty. If you don't like a place, you may very well miss that. I think all the states have their own beauty.

I think more like 25/30 more sunny days. But, who's counting?

You easily make friends there because you like it better. You most likely give off a negative vibe to people and you probably don't even know it. How would people know unless you told them? Sounds a bit paranoid to me. I am pretty sure there are many "outsiders" in A2, some just jump in and become a part of where they are at the moment. Some don't. If you think you feel like an outsider, you oughta move to the UP!

5 states out of 50 is not "many" of them, IMO.

I am not picking on you for not liking MI. I told you I have my own dislikes about some of it. I was raised here and just within the last 3 years have been living back and forth btn here and NV. I like a lot of NV more. Some don't. It is much easier to leave sisters and brothers than it is to leave your children and grandchildren, regardless of how much more you like a state. Those things become bigger than that. At least to me. If I could get my kids to move to NV, I would be gone in a flash!

You really have to put this in perspective. The link you used is interesting, but look closely and you will see:

The average number of Sunny Days for major American cities is the total days annually when the sky is mostly clear. This includes the days when cloud covers up to 30% of the sky during daylight hours. Partly Sunny Days have cloud covering from 40% to 70% of the sky during the daytime. The rest of the days during the year are mainly overcast, with at least 80% cloud cover. Total Days With Sun is a sum of the Sunny plus Partly Sunny days. All the numbers are averages for total days and were calculated from years of weather watching.

Partly sunny has cloud cover up to 70%? That is pretty much cloudy to me. So, I would just go by the Sunny Days. In that case, Detroit has 75 and NYC has 107. Not many out of 365, IMO. Especially compared to Las Vegas which has 210. That's what I am talking about! Everyone pretty much knows and agreed here that MI has a lot of gray days. Comes with the territory. You either like it or not. YOu learn to accept it and weigh it against the good you find here. Whether it is family, weather, recreation, arts, sports...
I'd say you're splitting hairs.

Las Vegas has an abnormal amount of sun with no clouds. Basically a non-life-sustaining amount (without heavy intervention and a big environmental footprint from man). The African Sahara has the same amount of sunlight. If that's what inspires you, then knock yourself out.

I spent about a week out in the desert area of California and Nevada last Fall, and I don't know how anyone can live in direct sunlight for that long. But of course they didn't, everyone's holed up in their A/C and heavily tinted car windows. And it was Fall even, October, and yet there was virtually no life outside (man, animal, plant or otherwise).

When economic times are tough, people like to find something to blame. I think a lot of people blame it on the weather, for which we can't control, instead of on things that are within our control. But I will keep looking for that economic report that says sun = sustainable economic growth.

Last edited by magellan; 03-20-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
there's high taxes in ann arbor too. the cost of living in a2 is actually higher than nyc. I live in both every year. In ann arbor you need a car, PLUS the $2000 in rent and higher cost of food.

The reason taxes and cost of living are so low in MI is because PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE. it's simple. It drives the economy if there is less demand. It's expensive in NY because people want to live there, people from all over the world. This is another common thing I hear from locals. "NY is TOO EXPENSIVE, and the people are rude" is the other one. I find that the cost of living in NY- we do go there from here and back, often- is about 3-400 for the two of us a month. And that's because we're eating out every night, no cooking. Yes, rent is higher- but imagine not paying two car payments, insurance, maintenance and gas... and instead- $76 for all you're transpo needs for a month. That adds up quick. It's near even cost wise from an a2 apt to an upscale brooklyn appt in a clean, safe ethnically diverse neighborhood. We've stayed in 5 so far, and spanish harlem. Oh, and I'm not saying 5 states is "SO MUCH." But it's more than the average person- especially at age 30, no? How many states have you lived in? My guess... one. Or two. It's not a contest. I'm just saying- I have some comparison. Oh, and you wanna know who's got the most amazing spring I've ever seen? North Carolina. Or... maybe New Mexico. The desert in bloom is something to behold for real.
There isn't even the slimmest possibility that the COL is higher in AA than in NYC, lol!

NYC has always been, and will probably always be, the #1 most expensive city to live in in the entire U.S.

Seriously...you hate it here. Why do you stay? You are not doing your child any favors by staying here and making a conscious choice to be miserable everyday when you get out of bed. He is absorbing that attitude and he will look back someday and wonder why Mommy was always so angry and unhappy. That's not a very nice thing to do to your child. If you absolutely have to stay here, then seek help for coping and finding a way to like it, even just a little bit. Your family will thank you for years to come. And if you don't absolutely have to stay here, then go back to NYC. You only get a certain number of days on this planet. Each one that you spend being angry and bitter is one that you can never get back.

I feel sad for you. I hope you find a way out of this predicament.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM

98 posts, read 181,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Still waiting Pifler. Back-up your statement with a little proof.
i have no business with you as you do not merit to even be here.....

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'd say you're splitting hairs.

Las Vegas has an abnormal amount of sun with no clouds. Basically a non-life-sustaining amount (without heavy intervention and a big environmental footprint from man). The African Sahara has the same amount of sunlight. If that's what inspires you, then knock yourself out.

I spent about a week out in the desert area of California and Nevada last Fall, and I don't know how anyone can live in direct sunlight for that long. But of course they didn't, everyone's holed up in their A/C and heavily tinted car windows. And it was Fall even, October, and yet there was virtually no life outside (man, animal, plant or otherwise).

When economic times are tough, people like to find something to blame. I think a lot of people blame it on the weather, for which we can't control, instead of on things that are within our control. But I will keep looking for that economic report that says sun = sustainable economic growth.
LOL. Well, I was only clarifying your post on the "sun" facts. That's it. Whether people want more sun or more clouds doesn't matter to me at all. I prefer more sun. That's just me.

Anyone who only spends a week anywhere, only gets a minor feel for a place. If that's enough...that's cool. You didn't see enough, because I see it very differently. I see a lot of people out and about especially in Oct. in Vegas. Now, in June, July, and August, maybe. It is just different than MI, because in MI they are holed up during the winter months. Same diff, different months. Also, a big difference is that most people in LV tend to hang in their yards in their pools, so you don't see as many in the front. Here in MI, in a lot of areas they have the front porches. In my neighborhood in MI, the people are always in the front, playing in the streets or front yards. There aren't as many pools and such.

There are so many parks in LV and they are loaded in the Fall/Winter/Spring. You see that when you spend a considerable amount of time there. And if you missed the desert plant life, you really missed out as it is incredibly beautiful. Different than MI, but still beautiful. Then again, I love to explore the different beauty in different states, so I look for it.

Going from MI to LV was a culture shock for me, for sure. But, I like it. I realize many don't. Just as many don't like MI weather. No biggie.

I don't think people always blame the weather, they blame anything...economy, government, so forth. People blame their moods on weather. As far as sustainable economic growth, it is in solar energy and they should be moving towards that. I see a little of it, but I would have thought there would have been much more of it by now. I mean, take your best commodity (sun in LV, water in MI) and use it for growth! 210 day of sun should be enough to provide some major solar energy, don't you think?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Can y'all please help me out here. At the beginning of your post please either identify it as "CHILDISH DICKERING AND PERSOANL ATTACKS/DEFENSES" or as "A POST ABOUT THE TOPIC OR AT LEAST SOME DISCUSSION POINT OF INTEREST"

THe silly childish dickering, personal attacks and defenses are really not of interst to anyone at all. If you want to engage in this sort of dithering, please take it to a DM, or at least identify it as something not worth reading. If someone attacks you personally, generally you can only accomplish anything by ignoring them.

Thank you.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
how is summer any better im mi than any other state>? if you're gonna say lakes- keep in mind many states have lakes- ny has thousands. and mountains and an ocean... and a few real cities. i dont get it... how is it better? You know what I think? I think "people from MI" say it's better because they don't know any different. They sound like parrots. lol
It is not just people FROM MI saying it is better, take a hard look at the MI forum's first page and you will see at least 8 to 10 people posting about possible moves to somewhere in MI. To each their own.

Good luck to you...

Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Sorry. They just announnced, The sun has been cut.

THere is a State budget crises you know. Maybe we can have sun again when things get better.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry. They just announnced, The sun has been cut.

THere is a State budget crises you know. Maybe we can have sun again when things get better.
This is why we can't have nice things in Michigan.

I've heard that if you watch this video repeatedly for about an hour, you'll get a year's worth of Vitamin D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZqu-OK9pG8

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
This is why we can't have nice things in Michigan.

I've heard that if you watch this video repeatedly for about an hour, you'll get a year's worth of Vitamin D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZqu-OK9pG8
Thanks Magellan! Not only did I get my D on, but I also have a great farmers tan now!

Yup...I guess if you say anything nice about Michigan, you get those freaks who call you a liar. I am a huge liar....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan