Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
When we were frustrated with trying to get a mortgage here, those clouds kept us coming back. As we traveled the northern part of the mitten, we would see these cloud fronts come in from each lake, collide, mingle, and at sunset, make these swirled, multi-layered paintings of orange, lavender, pink, white, blue.... Stunning. The fall sunsets here were breathtaking, and always beautiful sun breaks here and there.... I don't need the sun all day to enjoy it when it's here.

I could do without the mud, I wish there were a winter switch and all the ugly part of winter could just evaporate, but... I'll take the yuck, because the beautiful has it beat by a mile.

I enjoy the weather we have here, even the cloudy weather. I enjoy the snow in winter, and the fall is by far my favorite. The only time of year I do not like is now (March and April) Mud, slush and rain, nothing to like about early spring. Other than those two months our weather is interesting and enjoyable at least for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times
Default Michigan Tough

Thanks for all the hearty welcomes! I will say this about Michiganders: you are some tough people. These winters will kick your behind now and take names later. Remember, I'm from Texas, you know, with guns and rattlesnakes and longhorns and cattle and land still wild with tusked hogs the size of cows. I spent 10 years in Los Angeles and more than once ventured in neighborhoods that I had no business being in, all poverty and graffitti and a smattering of Crips and Bloods. Police helicopters flying overhead every night. So I like to think I know what "tough" means. And you people are it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Hey all, my family and I moved to the Holland area in June of last year. Before our move, I'd seen MI once, the month before our move. I grew up in Texas, spent 10 years in L.A., and 1 year in Denver before we made the move here. So my question is, where is the sun? When can I hope to see her? I REALLY need some Vitamin D!
Sorry, you moved to the wrong place if you're looking for sunshine.

Michigan is the cloudiest state in the coutry outside of the Pacific NW, and Detroit is the cloudiest city outside Seattle.

If it's not lake stratus in the winter, it's convective debris in the summer.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Sorry, you moved to the wrong place if you're looking for sunshine.

Michigan is the cloudiest state in the coutry outside of the Pacific NW, and Detroit is the cloudiest city outside Seattle.

If it's not lake stratus in the winter, it's convective debris in the summer.
But...most of our spring, almost all of summer and fall are filled with sun. Its when you get close to winter and over winter that its most cloudy. At least its nice when it counts!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Okay, I'm no meteorologist, but if the reason for Michigan's gray, cloudy weather is our proximity to, and actually being surrounded by, the Great Lakes, then why is Florida not cloudy as well, since it is also a peninsula surrounded by water on three sides? Is it because it has a tropical climate, or because salt water forms clouds differently than fresh water, or what?

No tomatoes or "duh" comments, please! Like I said, I'm no meteorologist, just a curious Michigander who would like to know why one peninsular state is referred to as "The Sunshine State" while ours is known for its gloomy skies!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
A lot of times in the fall, it will be sunny and then lake-effect clouds will roll in around 1:00 p.m, like clockwork.
So true! A lot of the cloudy days start out sunny if you are up early in the morning. Then... the wind picks up from the west... and the clouds roll in... it has actually gotten predictable at this point in my life. I've learned to enjoy those sunny early mornings before they go away.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the hearty welcomes! I will say this about Michiganders: you are some tough people. These winters will kick your behind now and take names later. Remember, I'm from Texas, you know, with guns and rattlesnakes and longhorns and cattle and land still wild with tusked hogs the size of cows. I spent 10 years in Los Angeles and more than once ventured in neighborhoods that I had no business being in, all poverty and graffitti and a smattering of Crips and Bloods. Police helicopters flying overhead every night. So I like to think I know what "tough" means. And you people are it.
LOL, Ironlady, we watched a tornado decimate the hospital and wal-mart near our house under construction just east of Dallas. That summer we had a record heat wave. We moved into our house with corn stalks littering the back yard when the nearest corn field was 6 miles away. Less than a year later we were in Seattle. Texas was too much for me.

I grew up in many of those neighborhoods you speak of (though the rep is slightly exaggerated since the bad news gets publicized and the good news rarely does). It was home, not where I wanted to raise my kids, but... there was a lot of good for all the bad. But certainly not a walk in the park.

Michigan seems like heaven to me compared to the other places, but I can't do heat. I suspect like plants, we humans are hardy in select environments.

Where I would wilt, you would thrive, and vice versa....

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Okay, I'm no meteorologist, but if the reason for Michigan's gray, cloudy weather is our proximity to, and actually being surrounded by, the Great Lakes, then why is Florida not cloudy as well, since it is also a peninsula surrounded by water on three sides? Is it because it has a tropical climate, or because salt water forms clouds differently than fresh water, or what?

No tomatoes or "duh" comments, please! Like I said, I'm no meteorologist, just a curious Michigander who would like to know why one peninsular state is referred to as "The Sunshine State" while ours is known for its gloomy skies!
You pretty much have it right with respect to the tropical climate in Florida. The warm air is constant, so you usually don't have inversion issues.

It's really basic weather 101. When warm air rises into cold air it forms clouds and eventually precipitation. That's what happens with the lakes. After the hot summer airmass exits the cold winter airmass rushes in. However, water takes a long time to adjust to an airmass, so they're still warm despite the colder air rushing in aloft. So when the warmer air in the lakes forces its water particles into the atmosphere, it intersects with the colder air aloft and forms clouds, thus lake stratus.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Hey all, my family and I moved to the Holland area in June of last year. Before our move, I'd seen MI once, the month before our move. I grew up in Texas, spent 10 years in L.A., and 1 year in Denver before we made the move here. So my question is, where is the sun? When can I hope to see her? I REALLY need some Vitamin D!
Lots of sun here in Texas. You went the wrong direction if you crave sun.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Get outside, she is making an appearance today. (Hurry up though - weather in michigan changes by the minute).

By the way did anyone notice the incredible sunset in Metro Detroit earlier this week? It was one of those remember forever sunsets really spectacular. You do not get those out west for some reason at least not in So Cal. Maybe the weather guy can tell us why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan